GK Cup 9 Signup
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday February 22, 2017 5:54 PM

First round matches begin the week of March 19, 2017 and are projected to go through July 2017.

GK Cup Sign-Up Instructions:

Please message GK username: nickesquire or nickesquire1.
- When you are logged in you will see a message envelope in the top right corner of the screen.
- If you are having trouble messaging nickesquire, then please e-mail: golf@greenskeeper.org.

We need the following information from you:
• Your GK username
• Your last Name
• Your first Name
• Your contact # (cellphone)
• Your E-mail Contact (personal E-mail)
• What city do you reside?
• GHIN # (or if you are using GK Scoretracker, what is your current index?)
• 1st choice of geographic area? (North, South, East, West)
• 2nd choice of geographic area?

Please remember that the GK Cup Match Play "footprint" has frequently had competitors that live 100 to 150 miles apart. The "regions" are loosely based to primarily accommodate closer early round match-ups. You can request any region you desire. Your choice could be based on your home location, your work location, where you usually play or where you desire to play. There is no correct or incorrect region, completely your option.

Most North area competitors usually live north of Los Angeles & in Ventura County.

Most West area competitors usually live in western Los Angeles and northern Orange Counties.

Most East area competitors usually live in eastern Los Angeles and eastern Orange Counties, and anywhere in San Bernardino or Riverside Counties.

Most South area competitors usually live in southern Orange County and anywhere in San Diego County.

In committing to play in GK CUP 9, please keep in mind that the farther you advance, the farther your opponent is likely to be from your location and accommodating both parties may be impossible. Be realistic with yourself. If you can only play on Sunday mornings at your home club, then this format is not for you.

All competitors are expected to post all rounds played and maintain current handicap indexes. It is the responsibility of all competitors to have current and verifiable handicap information for their opponent. It is the responsibility of the match opponents to request and verify current handicap information. Screenshots that include the current index plus the date and place of the competitors most 20 current rounds are recommended.

Last year, we tried to match up 1st round opponents with opponents who lived closeby. It has also been suggested "seeding" the bracket based on all the competitors GHIN/Scoretracker indexes within their geographic region.

My goal is a transparent bracket laid out before the first match is played with as few byes as possible. If we have an even number of GK CUP 9 participants, everyone plays in the 1st round. In the event that we end up with an odd number of participants, Keith as the defending GK CUP 8 champion has earned a 1st round bye.

John has approved 2 GK Cups for 2017.

So, if we have 2 GK Cups per year, when to have them is the ?

To ensure maximum success & participation, my thought was that timing the good weather and higher play periods for the majority of GKers is a given.

Assuming that, when to play?

I would say based on living in So Cal for almost 40 years that if I had to narrow it down, the 4 best months to play golf are probably mid May - mid September weather wise. Therefore, I would absolutely want GK Cups running during the majority of that time frame. I would also suspect that the average GK Cup participant plays more rounds in those 4 months on average that the other 8 months of the year.

When are the best 8 months to play golf in So Cal? Again, based on living here for almost 40 years, IMO March - October would probably be the best 8 months weather wise.

Okay, next question... Are there periods of the year we would want to avoid?

I think a GK Cup running in Nov. & Dec. would not work well, both because of the holidays and the poorer weather. Those months I personally would avoid totally EVERY YEAR. The weather is usually more iffy in Jan-Feb. than most other months. Some years like last year I was playing almost every day... this year even Weber has been challenged to get in more than a few rounds. But from April through September, there is historically little rain in So Cal... the Dodgers have had around 2 dozen rain outs total since moving here in the late 1950's. If the weather is good enough to play baseball almost every day for those months, then you can golf!

Thinking outside the box, do we run overlapping single elimination GK Cups to get in 2 per year and take advantage of the best weather and higher play periods?

Starting GK Cup A in the spring with a mid summer finish and starting GK Cup B in the early summer with a fall finish would accomplish getting in 2 per year when the weather is least likely to be a challenge and also when the masses play the majority of their golf.

The reality is that the vast majority who entered GK Cup A would already be eliminated when GK Cup B starts. It could provide quick redemption. It would be up to the judgment of the people still alive and advancing in GK Cup A if they also desired to participate in GK Cup B. They would have to play multiple matches and meet all deadlines. The 1st and 2nd rounds of GK Cup B would likely be scheduled while GK Cup A is still playing the semi-finals/finals.

This approach will get us in 2 GK Cups per year. For the reasons stated above, it was felt like a 4 month on, 4 month off, then 4 month on schedule would NEVER be successful because we would be having down time every other year in the summer while playing in the winter.

Therefore, after consulting with John, here are the potential details for the GK Cup(s) in 2017

We are planning on this GK Cup starting in mid March as single elimination. Depending on how many participants sign up, we are looking at a July completion date. The field will be capped at 32 participants to meet requested time frames. You would need to win a maximum of 5 matches to win the Cup.

Another single elimination GK Cup will be starting (probably late May/early June), while some successful participants may still be participating in this one. That one should be wrapped up by the end of October.

That would keep us playing during the months most likely to have good weather on an annual basis and satisfy the potential to participate in 2 GK Cups per year.

I again assigned 1st round match-ups based on nearby geographic rivals, although some pairings were still not within my 20-25 mile target based on where all the participants live. I purposely did NOT match up people who played v. each other in the 1st round of GK Cup 8 again in GK Cup 9. I also eliminated as potential 1st round opponents any participants who played twice in last years double elimination format.

Final pairings for GK Cup 9

Round 1

Sixpez*
Match 1
Hmtgolfguy

EAST POD

allan_grant
Match 2
kevbig

140ver
Match 3
rudyclub

SAN DIEGO POD

sbarajasjr
Match 4
Rat-Patrol

Long4par
Match 5
Andrewz28

SOUTHERN COASTAL POD

Itslikeimsayin
Match 6
Gary00

dconnally
Match 7
apisarski

O.C. COASTAL POD

Gregholla
Match 8
mpisarski01

Lotrgolfer48
Match 9
criley_4way

SOUTH L.A POD

Caligolfer1031
Match 10
tocho261

Ringworld
Match 11
golferic420

SOUTH BAY POD

cobra1788
Match 12
nodoubles22

roarksown1
Match 13
kassper7

L.A./WEST L.A POD

mattias
Match 14
hammer74

tonybarrett
Match 15
Nickesquire

NORTH POD

Kviser
Match 16
t8fish

* Current GK Cup Champion

Full bracket, therefore everyone plays every round and all would have to win 5 matches to win or retain the GK Cup!

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Friday March 31, 2017 8:41 AM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #82527
dconnally
RE: GK Cup 9 Signup

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday February 22, 2017 6:27 PM
WAIT WAIT!!!! Did I miss GK Cup 8??!!

Who won??
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #82528 - This was a reply to message #82527
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Wednesday February 22, 2017 7:14 PM
David.. don't you get it? Seven ate nine
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #82529 - This was a reply to message #82528
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday February 22, 2017 9:01 PM
In
 Message #82530 - This was a reply to message #82529
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Wednesday February 22, 2017 9:13 PM
Yes! Been waiting for this ever since Matt wiped the floor with me at Harding! Can't wait to get it fired up!
 Message #82531 - This was a reply to message #82530
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Thursday February 23, 2017 8:20 AM
Matt continues to wipe floors! Oak Quarry the latest linoleum!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #82534 - This was a reply to message #82531
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday February 23, 2017 9:42 AM
I am coming for you Matt!!
 Message #82535 - This was a reply to message #82534
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday February 23, 2017 9:53 AM
I think that Matt has wiped the floor against many of us. I would be included on that list.
 Message #82536 - This was a reply to message #82535
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    CHUCK NORRIS
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Thursday February 23, 2017 10:00 AM
I can say I beat him once!!!!!!!!

but then we met later in the cup and he killed me
 Message #82537 - This was a reply to message #82536
HmtGolfGuy

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Thursday February 23, 2017 2:25 PM
Please make sure I'm not starting in the same region as Matt - apparently I'm his "good luck charm" (last round he started bogey/bogey, then shot 4 under on the remaining 16, time before that he had a 3-putt bogey on #1 then shot 5 under for the next 17 - and made it look easy!)

[[Edited by HmtGolfGuy on Thursday February 23, 2017 3:52 PM]]
 Message #82542 - This was a reply to message #82537

Listing 1 to 10 of 52 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]