RE: GK Cup 10 Final Results!

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday September 11, 2017 10:31 AM
Firstly, thanks to Johnny and Indian Wells for setting up such a good venue for the Cup Final. Secondly, thanks to Tim for a fantastic match! That back 9 was some special stuff. Thirdly, thanks to everyone who came out to partake in the GK Cup shenanigans. Fourthly, thanks to NICK for running this 10th iteration of the GK Cup!

QUOTED  but i was wondering something.

if he has won 4/10 cups, and he (it seems) is one of the best golfers on the site, does that mean the golf handicap system tends to favor the better golfer over higher handicap golfers? does consistency play a part in winning? or has he just played better under pressure than anyone else?

You're not the only one with these wonders, dethman. I've been thinking of this as well. Without looking at any numbers to back it up (But knowing my own game and people that I play with), I think consistency is the main culprit. The majority of my scores fall in a pretty narrow range overall (low variance for the statistically inclined). Depending on course and conditions I can usually say I'll fall somewhere between 72 and 77. and that pretty much matches up with my index (which hovers between 0.3 and 1.3 more or less). The "bad" scores aren't too different from the average scores (I will throw something in the low 80s up occasionally) but neither are the "good" scores (HmtGolfGuy will beg to differ).
An index is a calculation of our golfing potential and we are expected to meet or beat that potential 25% of the time. If I'm playing a match against a higher handicap and they meet or beat their index, I'm going to be in trouble because I can't beat net 69s barring something crazy happening. At the same time, if they lay a stinker for that particular round I know my net score isn't going to be too much worse than 76 or 77 so I have a lot of wiggle room to survive and play the next round. All told it come down to a game of probability: If my opponent is going to have a close to potential round (25% of the time) then I'm going to really have to play my A game in order to keep it close. If I throw up a stinker, I'm toast 90% of the time and the same for my opponent. If it's somewhere in the middle, that's where the fun happens and that little bugger called nerves come into play.
 Message #85541 - This was a reply to message #85538
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Olivas Nicklaus T Maderas

Monday September 11, 2017 11:01 AM
QUOTED  does that mean the golf handicap system tends to favor the better golfer over higher handicap golfers? does consistency play a part in winning? or has he just played better under pressure than anyone else?

Excellent question/points Dethman. Speaking as someone who has played 36 holes v. Matt in the GK Cup, I'll offer these 1st hand observations...

does that mean the golf handicap system tends to favor the better golfer over higher handicap golfers? Not necessarily. A guy spotting strokes better come to play or it could get ugly really quickly. The 10 GK Cups have provided about half the champions who were close to scratch golfers. However, there have also been several double digit handicappers who have prevailed.

does consistency play a part in winning? Absolutely, you have to be consistently good to win match after match after match. Matt also has the type game that translates well on almost any course. He keeps it in play, can scramble when he has to but also hits alot of fairways and greens.

or has he just played better under pressure than anyone else? Matt is close to a scratch golfer, he rarely gives away holes. He plays consistently well or he would not be a 0.4 index. He has beaten people he was spotting anywhere from a couple to 20+ shots. However, most importantly... he has shown the ability and mental toughness in multiple matches to bear down and run off a long streak of par or better holes when the match is on the line. I had him down on the back 9 last year and ended up just being another notch on his belt!
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #85543 - This was a reply to message #85538
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday September 11, 2017 4:18 PM
Congrats Matt!--sounded like an awesome match!
 Message #85550 - This was a reply to message #85543
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday September 11, 2017 9:54 PM
Adding to the dethman question, I've never played Matt in an official match, but once we played Tijeras Creek together from the same tees and I secretly challenged myself to try to keep up with him. IIRC, I played decent for a while, but Matt's consistency wears you down. He might beg to differ, but when you're the lesser golfer playing with/against him, it feels like he very rarely makes mistakes.

Johnny: Love the addition of the match videos! That was tense!
 Message #85567 - This was a reply to message #85550
dconnally

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday September 12, 2017 7:52 AM
Can't see the videos - must be my old IE browser. Dang!

Still hoping Matt puts up a detailed description.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #85571 - This was a reply to message #85567
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Tuesday September 12, 2017 9:06 AM
FYI - The last three times Matt has lost the first hole of the GK Cup Final, he has gone on to win it.
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #85572 - This was a reply to message #85522
dconnally

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday September 12, 2017 10:14 AM
QUOTED  FYI - The last three times Matt has lost the first hole of the GK Cup Final, he has gone on to win it.

Good grief, who has THAT information??!!
 Message #85573 - This was a reply to message #85572
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday September 12, 2017 12:33 PM
So its now the Lord of the Rings Cup. Maybe it should change to a gold ring

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Tuesday September 12, 2017 1:24 PM]]
 Message #85574 - This was a reply to message #85524
dconnally

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Friday September 15, 2017 11:58 AM
Still waiting for Matt to post that summary!!
 Message #85621 - This was a reply to message #85574
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Friday September 15, 2017 8:55 PM
David keeps yelling at me. Tim was getting 4 strokes(*) and we played the blue tees (72.3/133 6642yds)

Hole 1 Par 4 364yds: I won the JohnnyGK coin toss and elected to receive. Thin slap 3W up the right side perfectly placed behind the palm trees. Tim bludgeoned one just short of the right cross(?) bunker. My approach through the palms can up short of the green. Tim on safely to 20 feet. I hit a poor chip to 8 feet. Tim 2-putted. I missed. Tim 1Up

Hole 2 Par 4 372yds: Tim crushed one up the left side. I hit one okay up the right. My approach safely found the middle of the green. Tim went deep about 2 yards over the green. Tim's chip left 15 feet. I drained my 20 footer for birdie. AS

Hole 3 Par 4 375yds: I hit one well up the right side. Tim went left through the trees but a clean lie in the rough. I hit safely but unspectacularly into the middle left of the green below the back tier. Tim's approach makes the top tier. I 2-putt, Tim 2-putts. AS

Hole 4 Par 5 491yds: I hit one well up the center. Tim crushes one right into the 5th fairway. My approach just scrapes over the pond leaving an easy chip to the front flag. Tim's 9 iron(!) finds the back of the green. Tim 2-putts. I get up and down. AS

Hole 5* Par 4 413yds: I hit a good drive up the right side. Tim went into the right rough above the bunker. My approach is safely on 25 feet away. Tim then had some fun with fluffy Bermuda followed by some uphill pitch shots that we will not speak of. Matt 1Up

Hole 6 Par 3 205yds: I block one well right after a bit of grip slippage ending up on the dirt right of the creek. Tim went long left of the green. I tried an explosion off of dirt to... limited effect just scraping over the creek. Tim chipped down to 6ish feet. I chip to 4 feet. Tim 2-putts and I make for dueling bogeys. Matt 1Up

Hole 7 Par 4 424yds: We both hit good drives up the left. I hit a crappy approach just short of the green. Tim pin high right to 12 feet. I hit a crappier chip than approach. Tim 2-putts, I 2-putt. AS

Hole 8 Par 4 320yds: Comedy of errors. We both bogey after lots of bad execution. AS

Hole 9* Par 4 421yds: Tim drives well right, down into the valley. I also go right but clip some branches and end up in the right rough. I carve a 5 wood that just clips some leaves but trundles just over the green. Tim blasted from down in the valley to 20 yards short left of the green. Tim's pitch rolls past about 15 feet. I putt from the back fringe to 2 feet. Tim 2-putts. AS

Hole 10 Par 4 411yds: We both drove right. I hit my second into the greenside bunker. Tim onto the green on the right side. I splash out but 2-putt. Ti 2-putts. Tim 1Up

Hole 11 Par 4 348yds: The wind kicked up directly into our face for this hole. Tim up the left, myself up the right. We both hit approaches to the back of the green(Tim)/ back fringe(me). I hit my putt 8 feet past. Tim left his 10 feet short. Tim missed. I missed. Beautiful. Tim 1Up

Hole 12 Par 4 248yds: Tim mis-hit his fairway wood short of the right fairway bunker. I hit a nice drive against the right to left wind onto the green. Tim pitched onto the green. Tim putted to concession range. I hit a bad first putt but cleaned up the 3 footer. AS

Hole 13 Par 4 334yds: I slapped a 3W into the right fairway. Tim onto the hill left of the trap semi-blocked by a tree. I hit a great wedge to a foot and a half for a conceded birdie. Tim's approach clipped said tree and ended up short right. Tim chipped to 2 feet. Matt 1Up

Hole 14 Par 5 507yds: I pulled my drive left near the cartparth. Tim CRUSHED his over the left trap. I took my drop but hit a poor 5w that skirted the lake and ended up between the lake and bunker. Tim pulled his second into the trap over the green. I pitch to 25 feet onto the buried mammoth in the green. Tim hits his bunker shot 15 feet past. We both 2-putt. Matt 1Up

Hole 15* Par 4 446yds: I pull my drive over near the Pampas grass left and hit a provisional just in case. Tim long and up the middle. We find my drive in between the grass and tree on some fallen leaves/scraggy grass/dirt 215 yards out. I somehow laser beam a 5 wood off that 25 feet short of the pin. Tim hits a great approach 20 feet from the pin. My putt just burns the edge. Tim 2-putts. AS

Hole 16 Par 3 165yds: Time hits a nice tee shot to 12 feet. I hit my tee shot to 20ish feet. I make my sidewinding putt for an unlikely 2. Tim 2-putts. Matt 1Up

Hole 17* Par 4 425yds: I hit my drive right behind some palms. Tim laces one up the center. I manage to hit a really good recovery ending up just over the green left. Tim's approach goes long onto the hillside. I chip 8 feet past. Tim's putt from the hill goes 4 feet past. I miss, Tim makes. AS

Hole 18 Par 4 373yds: Tim mis-hits a driving iron but it's straight leaving 165 yards. I hit a good 3w leaving 150yds. Tim's approach is pulled left onto the hill. I hit a good approach 15 feet past the hole. Tim hits a nice pitch to 8 feet. My birdie putt for the win lips out. Tim makes his clutch par. AS

Hole 19 (Hole 10 revisited): Tim hit his drive right, into the valley. I hit mine well up the center. I pulled my approach left of the green. Tim's approach found my bunker from earlier in the day. Tim splashed out to 15 feet. My birdie chip down the hill lipped out (grrrrrr!!!). Tim's bid for more golf just burned the edge on the high side. lotrgolfer48 def. nodoubles22 1Up (19 holes)
 Message #85626 - This was a reply to message #85621

Listing 11 to 20 of 24 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]