GK Cup 11 Match Results
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday January 27, 2018 2:13 PM
Please post ONLY GK Cup 11 Match Results here.

Congratulations AndrewZ28!!!

Well earned to hold off itslikeimsayin TWICE after Mark came back from down 3 in the match. Mark got off to rough start being down 3 after 3 but settled down on the 4th hole and start his comeback. It was game on from that point on! Exciting match to watch. Great shots played throughout. First time a GK Cup Final was ever decided on the 20th hole. Both played to their indexes. Don't want to spoil the recap Mark is going to post...itslikeimsayin, is going to post a hole-by-hole recap which I'll copy and paste here later.

BIG THANK YOU to everyone that participated in GK Cup 11 and especially to GK'er Nickesquire for taking the time/effort (this ain't easy) to organize it!!!

[[Edited by JohnnyGK on Monday June 25, 2018 12:34 PM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86885
mpisarski01
RE: GK Cup 11 Match Results

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Thursday February 1, 2018 10:27 AM
Today's round between Mpisarski01 and Fastfish433 was played at Soboba Springs. I was giving my father 11 strokes 6 on the front 5 on the back.

Hole 1 Par 4 354Yds- (+1)First hole of the day both hit good drives approach goes short for DP and Long For MP we limp on the green and both make dbl. DP gets a stroke and goes up 1 DP1UP

Hole 2 Par 3 120Yds- Using same approach club as previous hole I still go long and make dbl DP make bogey and goes DP2UP

Hole 3 Par 4 307Yds- (+1) Drive-able par 4 playing 250 yards today and I hit my three wood perfectly and pin high 2 put birdie and DP makes Bogey- DP1UP

Hole 4 Par 3 121Yds - MP hits the green and spins off the front DP misses short right. both make bogey and no strokes given. DP1UP

Hole 5 Par 5 490Yds- (+1) Both hit fairway dp chunks a shot I hit close and chip on only to 3 putt BGY. DP makes double and hole is halved

Hole 6 Par 3 132Yds- (+1) I hit it to about 9 feet and two putt par. DP has a hole from hell and makes a 7. MP wins hole and Match is EVEN

Hole 7 Par 5 518Yds -(+1) Both hit fairway Mp misses green on approach and DP takes 4 shots to reach the green. I three putt again after a poor chip. Hole is halved and still EVEN

Hole 8 Par 5 516Yds - Back to back par 5's my favorite. MP bombed a drive missed the approach short 20 yards and chip over the green. MP makes 6 DP has a tough time with the fairway bunker and approach makes 7. MP1UP

Hole 9 Par 4 306Yds- (+1) - Both hit good drives and good approach shots DP just off the green chips on and makes a 12ft putt for par and MP make Par. Dp gets a stroke and wins the hole. EVEN

Hole 10 Par 4 166Yds- Two good tee shorts and two putts for each EVEN

Hole 11 Par 3 148Yds- Mp hits the GIR again and two putt par. DP misses green and chips on with a two put and makes BGY - MP1UP

Hole 12 Par 3 407Yds (+1) Both hit fairway MP clacks a 4 iron and ends up short of the green Dp takes a similar route both Make Bogey DP wins with stroke EVEN

Hole 13 Par 4 166Yds (+1) Both miss green and make BGY DP wins hole with stroke. DP1UP

Hole 14 Par 3 363Yds - Both find the rough twice MP makes bogey after sticking approach from 70 yards two feet from the hole. DP makes DBL Match back to EVEN

Hole 15 Par 4 371Yds (+1) Two good drives MP sticks approach close again and makes birdie DP makes 15ft putt for par to halve hole with the stroke EVEN

Hole 16 Par 4 404Yds- (+1) Both find rough MP hits green but 3 putt. DP makes Bogey but wins with stroke - DP1UP

Hole 17 Par 4 347Yds- Terrible time for a 3 putt again as MP makes bogey so does DP. DP1UP

Hole 18 Par 5 505Yds- (+1) The final hole was predetermined to be the tie breaker. Whoever does better (INCLUDES HANDICAP)on hole 18 will win if there is a tie. Matt drives it over the corner about 240 out from the water protected hole. DP hits the rough but has a OK line to lay up. He uses the cart path for an extra 30 yards and is 70 yards out. MP lays up due to the protected green. DP then blades his wedge way over the green and up against the rocks. MP chunks his chip. Mp then knocks one past the pin. DP take two shots to get out of the rocks and two more chips to the green. Mp misses par putt but makes a 6 DP makes an 9 and loses the hole and the match due to the agreed upon tie breaker.

Mpisarski wins 1up.

In all it was a fun and fast round at Soboba with both of us playing well.

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Thursday February 1, 2018 12:18 PM]]
 Message #86939 - This was a reply to message #86885
criley_4way

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday February 3, 2018 4:02 PM
Nice Win Matt. I still expect a rematch
 Message #86953 - This was a reply to message #86939
lamitchw

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

Saturday February 3, 2018 4:32 PM
lamitchw defeated wsbell57 2&1 at Rustic Canyon today. Bill is a great guy, and we had a lot of fun. Detailed match breakdown to come.

[[Edited by lamitchw on Saturday February 3, 2018 6:22 PM]]
 Message #86954 - This was a reply to message #86885
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday February 4, 2018 5:08 PM
Rat-Patrol over 140ver 2&1.
 Message #86966 - This was a reply to message #86954
lamitchw

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pacific Dunes

Monday February 5, 2018 12:33 PM
lamitchw (LA) and wsbell57 (WS) met up Saturday morning at Rustic Canyon for our match. Our time was 8:40, and Bill joined Mitch and his crazy sh-t -talking friends for a fun morning. LA was giving WS 9 strokes...4 on the front and 5 on the back. We played from the white tees.

Hole 1, Par 5 495 yds: LA tee'd off first, and promptly yanked the drive into the road and OB. I hit a provisional into the center of the fairway. WS hit a very nice drive dead center. LA laid up to 90 yards with the 4th shot. WS topped his second shot from the fairway, and then hit his next shot short into the waste bunker fronting the green. LA hit his 5th shot to 15ft, and WS takes 2 to get out of the bunker with his 5th shot ending up on the back apron. WS's 6th shot with the putter comes up well short, leaving him 20ft or so. It takes him 2 to get in from there, finishing with an 8. LA 2 putts from 15ft to finish with a 7. Ugly hole for both of us.
LA 1-UP

Hole 2, Par 4 424 yds (+1 stroke hole): LA rips a nice drive up the left side. WS hits a nice tee ball into the center, and hits a nice approach shot just a little long and left into the rough. LA skulls his second shot over the green, and the comeback pitch goes 25ft past the hole on the apron. WS hits a great chip shot to 5ft, and makes the putt for par. Bill didn't even need the stroke to win the hole. LA ends up with a 5.
EVEN

Hole 3, Par 4 292 yds: WS hits a nice drive up the right side. LA hits a drive at the green, and ends up on the apron about 40ft from the hole. WS hit a bit of a thin shot that goes over the hole, and into the bunker on the left side of the green. LA's eagle putt from the apron ends up 5ft from the hole. WS hits 2 shots from the bunker, and concedes the hole to LA. LA ends up with a 4.
LA 1-UP

Hole 4, Par 3 146 yds: LA pushes his tee ball a bit right and long, ending up in the rough behind the green. WS hits a very nice tee ball, ending up probably 35ft from the hole. He hit a nice lag putt to 5ft, and made it for his par. LA's chip from the rough jumps left and ends up 20ft from the hole. The par putt just misses for his 4.
EVEN

Hole 5, Par 5 528 yds (+1) WS hits a nice drive up the right side. LA hits 3-wood up the left. WS tops his second shot from the fairway, and LA tops a 3-wood into the hazard. WS hits his 3rd up the right side, leaving a nice approach shot. LA drops out of the hazard, and hits his 4th up into the swale front left. We proceeded to flub around the green and both end up with 7. With the stroke, WS wins the hole.
WS 1-UP

Hole 6, Par 3 140 yds (+1): WS hits his tee ball long and we see it kick off a cactus, thinking it's back in play. LA hits a nice ball to 8ft right of the hole. As Bill walks up to his ball behind the green, he finds it laying in a nasty little hole. He takes an unplayable, drops and hits his chip to 18ft. He two putts for a double-5. LA misses his birdie putt, and wins the hole with a par. (wishing that hole his ball ended up in was marked GUR...it should've been.)
EVEN

Hole 7, Par 4 299 yds (+1): LA hits a nice 3-wood up the left side. WS's drive goes left into a nasty area along the left side of the fairway. He hits a provisional, but we find his first ball (we thought) in the crap. He has a nasty lie, and has to punch out into the fairway. LA hits his second on the green to 22ft. WS hits his 3rd onto the green, and has maybe 16ft to the hole. It was at that point he informs me he's playing the wrong ball. He was playing a green Volvik, and I had originally found a green ball exactly where his should've been in the junk. Unfortunately, neither of us checked to make sure it was actually his. We putted out, LA making a par 4, and WS in with a 5. We then checked the rules, and sadly in match play it's a lost hole. That sucked. It should've been a push. Lesson learned!
LA 1-UP

Hole 8, Par 3 102 yds: LA hits his tee ball to 3ft, and WS hits his shot to about 30ft. WS 2 putts for par, and LA makes the birdie.
LA 2-UP

Hole 9, Par 5 509 yds: LA hits an ok driver up the left just into the clumpy rough. WS hits a nice drive up the left side. WS gets on the green in regulation, and LA's 3rd shot had too much spin and backed off the front of the green onto the apron. LA uses putter to try and nuzzle up to the hole, but comes up wy short leaving about 25ft to the hole. WS's putt for birdie comes up way short as well, leaving about 22ft for par. LA steps up and drains the 25 footer for par! Not to be outdone, WS drains his 22 footer for par as well! Two great putts...and a push
LA 2-UP

The wind had started to pick up on the 7th hole, and was now blowing 10-15mph.

Hole 10, Par 5 542 yds (+1): LA hits a nice drive up the center, and WS hits his in the fairway up the left side. We both hit good layups, but the wind kept WS from reaching in regulation. LA's 3rd ends up just short of the front pin on the apron. WS reaches in 4, and 2 putts from 20ft for a 6. LA putts onto the green, and makes his 3 footer for par. With the stroke it's a PUSH.
LA 2-UP

Hole 11, Par 4 382 yds (+1): LA hits a nice drive dead center, and WS's tee ball is heading left towards the hazard down the left side. Miraculously, it must've hit the yardage sign, and kicks back right into the fairway!! WS's second ball goes left and finds the waste bunker this time, but it's playable. LA's second shot is pushed right into the rough next to the green. I don't remember if it took WS one or 2 shots to get out of the but he used putter of the green, left himself 12 ft and 2 putted from there for a 7. LA hits a dumpy chip for his 3rd shot and uses putter off the apron for his 4th. A 2 putt from 12ft gives him a 6, and the hole is a PUSH with the stroke.
LA 2-UP

Hole 12, Par 4 303 yds: This hole was playing straight downwind. LA hits a big driver that ends up over the green in the rough. WS hits a nice drive that ends up on the right side of the fairway. LA skulls his pitch way across the green and has to hit another pitch from the fairway, which races across the green onto the apron. Honestly, I lost track of what WS was doing at that point cuz I was more than a little annoyed. LA hits his 4th with putter from the apron and it ends up 5ft from the hole. LA makes the putt for a 5. WS ended up with a 6. Moving on!
LA 3-UP

Hole 13, Par 5 512 yds: This hole was playing straight into the wind. LA used some of the built up frustration from the last hole, and piped a big drive up the left side. WS hit a great drive right at the fairway bunker in the center of the fairway, and ended up in it. Ugh. He wedges out into the fairway, and hits his 3rd up the right side with a good angle to the right pin placement. LA hits his second to the apron just short of the green to the left. WS's 4th shot goes right into the crap. LA uses putter from the apron and leaves his 3rd 24ft for birdie. WS 5th shot is a pitch from the long stuff, and it goes scooting across the other side of the green. With me 24ft for birdie, he concedes the hole. I 2 putt for a 5.
LA 4-UP

Hole 14, Par 4 364 yds (+1): LA's drive goes left into the hazard. 3 off the tee, and it's a big one up the left side. WS's drive goes up the right side just into the rough. WS's second shot stays right, and ends up in the dirt next to the cart path. He chips on, and 3 putts for a 6. LA's 4th from the fairway ends up just short. Putter from the apron to 5ft and a one putt gives him a 6 as well, but with the stroke it's Bill's hole.
LA 3-UP.

Hole 15, Par 3 134 yds: WS steps up and hits the shot of the day...pin was all the way back and Bill hits it to 1ft. Almost an ace! Great shot Bill! LA's tee ball was a little short. I chipped up to 24 ft. At that point, I concede the hole to him. A 2 for Bill, a 4 for me.
LA 2-UP

Hole 16, Par 4 390 yds (+1): WS hits a nice drive down the right side. LA hits a bomb down the hill and into the rough left side. WS's second comes up just short of the green, and he uses putter for his 3rd, which ends up 3ft from the pin. LA's second finds the green, but 26ft right of the hole. LA has to try and make the birdie, because WS hasn't missed many putts inside 5 ft all day. LA's birdie putt runs 5ft past, which he proceeds to miss for a 3 putt 5. WS strokes his 4th in for par. He didn't even need the stroke.
LA 1-UP

Hole 17, Par 3 151 yds: WS hits a nice tee ball that came down hard and released to the back apron. LA hits a nice one that ends up 15ft past the hole. WS's second with the putter comes up 6ft short, leaving a downhill slider. LA's 15 footer comes up 3ft short. Doh! WS has 6ft for par, and he hit his only bad putt of the day, leaving it a foot short. Tap in for 4. LA has a knee knocker for the win, and it drops.
LA 2-UP

lamitchw defeats wsbell57 2&1.

I want to thank Bill for a great match, and for putting up with all the antics and sh-t talk my boys and I tend to do. It was a beautiful day, and yet another enjoyable round with a new GK'er. Looking forward to playing with you again, Bill!

[[Edited by lamitchw on Monday February 5, 2018 12:36 PM]]

[[Edited by lamitchw on Tuesday February 6, 2018 11:27 AM]]
 Message #86973 - This was a reply to message #86885
140ver

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Tuesday February 6, 2018 1:36 PM
Jim, thanks for getting the time and kicking my butt. Nick, thanks for putting this together and all the work you do. Personally, I like local government: If you can agree on the parameters of your match with your opponent, good to go. But sometimes you need the Feds: If you can't agree, default is the traditional handicap unless stated BEFORE the Cup begins. That said, I'm all for trying something different next time.
 Message #86984 - This was a reply to message #86966
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Friday February 9, 2018 8:45 AM
The South region match between Long4Par (Jim H.) and sbarajasjr (Sal B.) took place today (2/8) at Balboa Park Golf Course on an absolutely perfect Chamber of Commerce day. Jim and I had played previously in GK Cup 8, so I knew what to expect in terms of a playing partner; easygoing, calm, and supportive. It turned out to be another great round of head-to-head battle until the very end. Course conditions were great, with the greens standing out as excellent. Jim, thanks again for a great round and for keeping the mood light.

Statistics:
Long4Par (8.4) - 9
sbarajasjr (14.8) - 16

Balboa Park Golf Course
Blue Tees (Slope Rating: 125)
7 strokes for sbarajasjr (indicated in match summary as stroke)

Match Summary:

Hole 1: Short downhill par 4 around 350 yards. Sal teed off first and smashed a good drive down the right-center of the fairway. Jim pushed his drive right and it bounced into the bushes. Sal lands his approach to about 6 feet, Jim went a little longer but still dancing towards the back of the green after the drop. Sal made the birdie putt and wins the hole outright. I reassured everyone this was not going to set the pace for Sal's game and continued on to the next hole. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 2: Straightforward par 5 around 500 yards. Sal teed off first and pushed his drive way left, being fortunate to have it bounce off a tree and back into the fairway, albeit a bit backwards. Jim had a bit of trouble with his drive hitting the top half of the ball and it rolled out to about the area mine was at. Jim advanced his second shot a bit further and Sal hit a lay-up to about 200 in after landing in a dirt patch. Sal's third shot landed just past the green, while Jim landed his fourth right on the green about 15 feet. Sal proceeds to try and putt from the rough with disastrous results. Jim misses his par putt, but easily taps in for bogey. Sal misses his own par putt long and is awarded the bogey tap in by Jim for a push. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 3 (stroke): The first of three consecutive short par 4 holes in the 300-350 yard range. Jim teed off first hitting a long iron to the middle of the fairway. Sal hit driver to just off the right side of the fairway, but still in decent shape. Jim hit his approach pin high but pushed a bit right to just the other side of the cart path about 15 feet away. Sal tops his approach shot and hits his third shot to just off the back of the green. Jim hit his third to the front part of the green, barely misses his par putt and walks away with a gimmie bogey. Sal's topped shot cost him an extra stroke and when Sal missed the bogey putt, the stroke hole saved me and produced another push. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 4 (stroke): The most difficult hole at Balboa; a slender uphill dogleg left with an auxiliary fairway to the right about 40 feet below with a tree lined border. Jim hits first and again plays a perfectly smart iron to about 130 in. Sal tries to hit the same iron and tops his tee shot a bit to leave himself a longer shot. Sal tries to muscle an short iron in and slices it a bit so it rolls into the auxiliary fairway. Jim hits a great iron to just short of the green, directly in front the green. Jim watches as Sal somehow pitches a 60 degree wedge over the trees and just a few feet behind his ball. Jim putts from just off the green to what should have been a par but the golf gods leave him a revolution away from the cup. Sal made a few more shots that cost him the stroke hole, but came up well short as Jim takes his first hole of the day. Match: AS

Hole 5: A very short uphill 300 yard par 4. Jim tees off first and once again plays smart and hits iron to the center of the fairway. Sal stupidly takes out driver and slices it to the top of the right hill, landing in an auxiliary cart path and under some pine trees. Jim hits his approach wedge to the right of the green complex and catches the slope/cart path that threw him a bit more right and down the hill a bit. Sal hits a miraculous punch 5 iron under the tree branches and happens to land in the back of the green scooting to the fringe. Jim pitches on to the fringe on a rather difficult shot and putts his par shot a bit short and sadly couldn't sink his bogey putt. Sal taps his third downhill off the fringe but well short, then proceeds to miss his par putt but taps in for bogey taking the hole. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 6 (stroke): A long par 3 that has a severe fall-off on the right and past the green. Jim teed off first and pushed his tee-shot a bit right that bounced just under a tree. Sal hooked his 5 iron left but used the slope of the hill to have it roll to about 5 feet short of the green. Jim's shot was so hard he had trouble the first time hitting a flop over the bunker and onto the green. Attempt number two left him above the hole sadly and he got not roll down. Sal stupidly chipped from his location and hit it above the hole too. Jim tapped his bogey putt and somehow it rolled to about 6 feet past, then he manned up and without thinking sank the putt and walked away. Sal didn't learn and did the exact same thing except that he missed his bogey putt and was saved once again by the stroke hole as the push gave Sal the hole. Match: Sal 2 Up

Hole 7: A shorter par 5 that is split in the middle by small valley and slopes right to left in the first half. Jim hit first and smash a good drive right down the middle. Sal copied Jim and hit his slightly more right. Approach shots weren't so nice with Jim popping his up a bit short right into some tree areas. Sal topped his a bit but managed to roll it to about 75 yards on the left side of the fairway. Jim popped his third shot onto the green with some great scrambling, Sal topped his third and flopped his fourth onto the green about 15 feet away. Jim missed his birdie putt and tapped in for par, essentially winning the hole when Sal ran his par putt well past and then couldn't even clean up the bogey shot. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 8: Yet another short par 4 with some trouble on either extreme of the fairways. Jim hit a long iron to just left of the fairway. Sal took out driver and hit it only about 15 yards past Jim but on the cleaner part of the fairway. Both approaches were good; Jim on the green below the hole, Sal on the fringe about 6 feet away. Both third shots left tap in par putts that were essentially conceded for another push. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 9 (stroke): A straightforward par 3 guarded by a few bunkers. Jim hit his tee shot a bit short but took an incredulous bounce left, riding the ridge of the bunker and ending up long left but not terrible. Sal hit a good iron in but just short. Jim did his best to play the slope and speed of the green by putting to the top part of the green in hopes it would run; it somehow stuck. Sal chipped but it didn't bite and ended up next to Jim. Both Sal and Jim miss their par putts to the right and again the bogey putts were conceded gimmies from inches away, but yet again the handicap works in Sal's favor on the right hole and the push gives me what would be the biggest lead at the turn. Match: Sal 2 Up

Hole 10 (stroke): A straight par 4 with some trouble left and the 11th fairway right. Jim hit first and pushed his drive a bit right (after the group on the next hole decided to come down to our fairway as we were teeing off!). Sal hit his way right to the cart path between 10 and 11. Sal had to hit a short iron over some eucalyptus trees but hooked the shot a bit and bounced into the green-side bunker left. Jim followed suit and hit his approach into the green-side bunker right. Jim hit a wonderful bunker shot out and was sitting nicely with a possible par putt. Sal took a swipe in the sand and came up short of the green. His second attempt was much better but left himself a lengthy bogey putt. Jim missed par but tapped in for bogey. Once Sal's second putt spun out of the hole, the stroke hole was nullified and Jim took it outright. Match: Sal 1 Up

Hole 11: Surprise, it's another short par 4. Jim absolutely crushed a drive perfectly straight down the fairway. Sal yanked his drive left, so left in fact it went into the next fairway and rolled into the crud to the left (not white stakes for those wondering). Jim helped looked for the ball and indicated a good spotted next to where it crossed for me to drop. Jim hit his approach to the left side of the green and with Sal's drop and third shot ending up next to the shack green-side, the hole was starting to fall apart for Sal. Jim missed his birdie putt but tapped in for par. Sal hit his fourth shot onto the green but the hole was played straight up and already belonged to Jim bringing it back to square. Match: AS

Hole 12 (stroke): A dogleg right par 4 with trouble all along the right and a well protected green. Jim pushed his drive a bit left and was unfortunately behind a tree. Sal hit his drive right and knowing the course layout, decided to hit a provisional drive which was right down the middle (of course). Jim and Sal found Sal's drive but it was unplayable so it was picked up and the provisional was played. Sal sizzled a 9 iron that scooted just past the green in the back but held up high. Jim was nearly hit by the group on the 11th tee, recovered and hit a small punch shot to about 40 yards but his shot rolled left into some brush, thankfully visible and playable. Jim indeed popped out of the bush with a wonderful pitch to the front part of the green. Jim missed his par putt but had a conceded bogey from inches away. Sal chipped his fifth shot and came up short and still on top of the hole. Sal barely missed his putt, but that was enough to give him the stroke hole and the match lead for the first time. Match: Jim 1 Up

Hole 13: A very short par 3 downhill with no miss short. Jim hit first and pushed his tee shot right and short, getting an odd bounce way left and long. Sal hit a PW onto the green just shy of pin high but dancing. Jim and Sal had agreed on calling the bottom of the hill the "drop zone" to avoid any issues (all canyons at Balboa are considered lateral water hazards anyway) so he chipped his third shot onto the green. Sal failed in his birdie attempt but tapped in a conceded par and walked away having squared the match again. Match: AS

Hole 14: A long dogleg left par 5 with an intimidating tee shot that has to be crushed to reach the plateau for a shot at par. Jim and Sal both crush their drives along the cart path right, with Jim muscling up and scooting it well past Sal's drive. Approach shots from both continued next to each other, once again riding the cart path. Jim hit his third left and and a bit long. Sal had to punch his third since he was behind a tree. Sal's fourth shot landed on the green albeit far from the hole. Jim managed to find his third behind some crud in the back left behind the green and hit an amazing recovery shot to the fringe. Both Sal and Jim miss their attempts at par and once again concede the bogeys to walk away square. Match: AS

Hole 15: You guessed it, another short par 4 dogleg left. Jim and Sal both crush drives just a hint towards the right side of the fairway. Jim hits a wonderful approach to the green, back left but dancing. Sal tried too hard and topped his wedge. His third was much better, but still managed to scoot past the hole once on the green leaving a long par putt. Jim missed his birdie putt, but was conceded an easy tap in par. Sal tried for par and missed it long. Jim conceded him the bogey and the match was once again Jim's. Match: Jim 1 Up

Hole 16 (stroke): The last stroke hole on what I consider to be the most difficult hole; a long par 5 with an insanely narrow fairway that slopes into trouble left and right! Jim teed off first but happened to hit his first hook of the day into the canyon area. Sal did him one better and sliced his drive OVER the protective fence right into Pershing Drive (one of the only OB areas on the course). Sal hit his second drive right behind the lone tree on the fairway of course and off we went on a [insert strokes here] stroke adventure. Jim dropped at the area he crossed short of the fairway bunkers and hit a heavy third shot down the fairway to about 200 yards. Sal punched his fourth under the tree and scooted it along the fairway to about 150. There was lots of ugliness that followed with an attempt to scramble from the canyon by Jim, some insanely bad putting by Sal and somehow the stroke didn't even come into play. Jim and Sal walked away happy to say goodbye to hole 16 and the match was once again even. Match: AS

Hole 17: A beautiful long par 3 downhill playing roughly 200 yards (see picture below). Jim teed off first and smashed an iron in the air but a bit right that bounced into the green side bunker. Sal hit his best shot of the day; a 7 iron to the center of the green to about 8 feet left of the hole. Jim hit an absolutely wonderful bunker shot out to about 5 feet that skipped right past the flag-stick originally. Sal missed his birdie chance and tapped in for par. Jim made his clutch par shot to ensure the match stayed even going into 18. Match: AS

Hole 18: No surprise here, it was an uphill short par 4 at about 320 yards. Jim and Sal had tentatively agreed to replay 1 in case the match stayed AS. Jim teed off first and pushed his iron right ending up in the uphill brush, the ball unfortunately staying up in the crud. Jim decided to re-tee and hit another iron shot this time along the left side of the fairway, but sadly with trees to contend on his fourth. Sal hit driver and managed to leave himself a wedge in. Jim hit his fourth but caught the one branch on the tree in front of him that managed to stop a good shot. His fifth was green side but happened to move backwards and that pretty much sealed the match, as long as Sal didn't blow up. Sal's second shot was just a bit short of the green, but his third was about 5 feet just above the hole. The green was severely sloped but Sal managed to tap his par putt and ended up 10 inches away. Sal sank his bogey putt and after Jim missed his bogey putt the match was over. Final match result: Sal wins 1 Up

Neither of us played particularly well today and Balboa is no joke. Anyone who plays here regularly will tell you the yardage is essentially a non-factor; it's a challenging course especially when the greens are running similarly to the San Diego Country Club. I want to thank Jim for agreeing so willingly to play here and for a competitive match that I really enjoyed.

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Friday February 9, 2018 11:26 AM]]

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Friday February 9, 2018 8:26 PM]]

[[Edited by sbarajasjr on Friday February 9, 2018 8:29 PM]]
 Message #87018 - This was a reply to message #86885
Long4par

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday February 9, 2018 10:45 AM
Thanks Sal for a great round. You are right Balboa is not to be underestimated. I had a lot of fun and wish you the best.
 Message #87021 - This was a reply to message #87018
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Friday February 9, 2018 7:29 PM
Alex326 and Nickesquire squared off today at PGA West Niclaus Tournament Course. Both golfers had an off day with no birdies to be had by anyone and only a handful of pars each. Alex326 won the match 3&1.

Going into the match Nick was busy honing his skills playing every day leading up to the match while Alex was focused on which outfit to wear! Ultimately, Alex went with the bright teal green shorts & shirt complete with a matching water bottle.

This was a match of who made the least mistakes. After a push on the opening hole Nick took a 3 up lead by the fourth hole. It looked as if Alex (aka Mr Nor Cal) was going to be sent home before the back nine even started. Snickering could be heard by every So Cal GK member. The two traded holes for the next 5 holes with Nick being 2up at the turn and back to 3 up after #10

Happy that he was at least getting to play the back 9 before being eliminated from GK Cup 11, Alex changed his strategy.... Knowing he couldn't out drive Nick (the dude smokes his drives a country mile), Alex started using the hot sun and his bright colored shorts to blind Nick and cause some unforced errors.

The strategy began to pay off and by hole 13 the match was even. Hole fourteen was some of the best golf played all day. With the match now all square both players had a decent look at birdie. Nick putted first and missed by only a couple inches for yet another one of his tap in pars. Alex missed his birdie putt on the high side reading a break that was never there or possibly being blinded by his own shorts!

At least we had some real golf being played by both players on the same hole. Both golfers found water on #15 with Alex winning the hole by sinking a nice 20'+ Putt to go 1 up on the match and take the lead for the first time all day!

Alex was able to win the next two holes to close out the match and make So Cal Players hate Northern California's even More! Nick is checking the rule book to see if Alex's shorts confirmed to USGA standards and Alex is lobbying for the GK Cup finals to be held in Monterey. Say Spyglass??!!

Not that he plans to be part of the finals.
 Message #87027 - This was a reply to message #87021

Listing 1 to 10 of 94 Replies

PAGES: 10 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]