NorCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday August 14, 2015 11:22 AM
I'm going to pull the trigger on this...

anyone with any experience?

http://edelgolf.com
 Message #73351
ringworld
RE: Edel putter fitting

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Friday August 14, 2015 11:48 AM
I haven't a clue but if it works for you.... then do it. I have noticed that so long as YOU feel great about the putter or equipment for that matter it makes a big difference about putting.

It's not like a hammer or screwdriver. The club is more a personal commitment that you need to feel comfortable with. Just like your wife shouldn't buy a set of clubs for you unless you spec it out first

Hope that helps.
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #73352 - This was a reply to message #73351
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday August 14, 2015 3:57 PM
apparently, the fitting process is pretty enlightening. they use lasers to see where you are aiming, and they say that based on different lines or head shapes or club specs, you eyes line you up a certain way, and they keep changing things until you are consistently aiming where you think you are aiming. i'm pretty excited to go through it.
 Message #73354 - This was a reply to message #73352
thingstodo
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Boo Weekly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cypress Ridge

Saturday August 15, 2015 7:50 AM
Vic, hammers like putters need to feel right to the user, there are many different weights and styles. I'm offended you think otherwise. Haha. And if you asked an electrician im sure the screwdriver is a very personal thing.
And, my wife has never bought me a hammer. Actually she never bought me a putter either... What has she bought me???
 Message #73365 - This was a reply to message #73352
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday August 17, 2015 11:55 AM
So, I went through the fitting this past weekend... IT WAS SO COOL.

First, they take a laser mounted on a 4 in plastic hole and ask me to line up a 6 foot putt with my putter. the laser is pointed at the ball, so that when they move the ball, it bounces off my putter head onto the wall behind the laser. The first time i did it i was a foot to the left... (which is really half that due to the distance the laser has to travel). After 3 more tries, i was consistently 3 inches to the left.

He gave me an inch shorter shaft, and after 4 or 5 adjustments of putter heads and hosel types, I was able to line up the putt perfectly.

Now, I'm talking, i was going through my whole routine, and even trying to cheat a little with my setup... my eyes just could not line up the putter head to the center of the hole. Weird. And after going through the whole process, and then going back to my putter, i was off again. Weird.

Next, he determined if I was a radial putter or linear putter. Linear putters go straight back and forth, which he says is 80% of golfers. There is the arc that people talk about, but really most of them are really linear. A true radial putter is really on line one moment in the arc. He says that linear putters don't want heavy putterhead. It causes too much whip which adds to inconsistency in the putter speed. Radial putters use less hands, more core, so they benefit from whip. Linear putters will want more weight in the handle, to silence the hands more.

At this point, I'm not sure how much I'm buying in.. but i'm going with it. He asks me to putt 4 or 5 balls with my putter, working on speed. I have an x amount of dispersion. He puts weight in the handle of my new putter setup... and WOW... the feel was amazing. I can't describe it.. it just felt like the putter was an extension of my arms... like it was a part of me. Naturally, the dispersion is less.. .then he puts more weight, and distributes it a little differently... and it was even better... and the dispersion was almost nil. One could argue there is a learning curve here... and maybe that's true.. but it sure felt like nothing i've ever felt. The next thing was customizing grips and he gives me some other putters to help me decide... and those putters' weight distribution felt horrible compared to my putter. There was one with a really heavy head, and it felt like swinging a senior flex driver shaft.

The worst part is I now have to wait 4 weeks for my putter to come in, and i have to putt with my imperfect putter for that long. We'll see how it performs on the course, but I am excited.

It was $395 for the putter, free fitting, free shipping. I can't wait.

[[Edited by michaelko on Monday August 17, 2015 11:56 AM]]
 Message #73406 - This was a reply to message #73365
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday August 17, 2015 12:22 PM
QUOTED  It was $395 for the putter, free fitting, free shipping. I can't wait.

For that much cash, it better be a game changer. Let us know how it's working for you once you have some experience with it, Michael.
 Message #73409 - This was a reply to message #73406
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday August 17, 2015 1:17 PM
In golf currency, when you compare how much you spend on clubs and green fees... it's a no brainer. I know it's a lot, but if it's the last putter you buy???? compared to the $400 driver people buy every 3-5 years, (or more often)... or the multiple putters people buy looking for THE ONE?

Of course, a lot does depend on how it does perform... I expect it to be lined up perfectly every time, and to improve my distance control. If I make more 10 footers because of those 2 things??? even better.
 Message #73410 - This was a reply to message #73409
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday September 9, 2015 12:19 PM
so received my putter last week, 2 wk turnaround, much faster than expected:

i'll get some more photos/angles later.

played one round last weekend... didn't practice with it at all before... after 5 holes, started to trust the aim and hit every putt on the line i wanted. The weighting in the handle of the putter to me makes it the nicest feeling putter i've ever used. Feels so nice and easy to hit on line.... keeps the hands silent.. .like butter.

i feel like i have to be more aggressive with the stroke.. i need to swing the club harder than I'm used to get the right distance.. left more than a few putts short. but after an hour practicing after the round, i feel like my practice will be so much better as far as speed control.

so far, nothing but positive.. best putter ever... confidence is high, $400 well spent. will update in a week or 2.
 Message #73856 - This was a reply to message #73410
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday September 9, 2015 12:24 PM
let me add:

one comment i received was: i don't want to know i'm aiming it 2 in left consistently, that would just f me up.

true... but i feel like all my pulls with my old putter make sense now... cuz most of my bad putts were pulls. i found a compensation... and if i practiced the compensation enough, i was able to do it consistently. but it wasn't natural. after 1 hr of practice with my new putter, i feel like i'm stroking it more naturally and intuitively, instead of trying to fix (subconsciously) my compensation.

in other words, with my old putter... my bad putts/pulls were really my natural putting stroke. now i can use that stroke.
 Message #73858 - This was a reply to message #73856
AndrewZ28

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Wednesday September 9, 2015 12:35 PM
This is awesome! I would much, MUCH rather do something like this than drop $400 on a new driver. I mean, 40% of my shots per round are with the putter. Why wouldn't I make that the highest investment in the bag?

I need to reach out to Edel and see when/where they are doing fittings here in SoCal. Would be super cool to make this happen.
 Message #73860 - This was a reply to message #73858

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]