Ebay scam? Callaway ball question
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 19, 2017 3:39 PM
So I was running low on balls and decided to be lazy and just order a 24 pack of my preferred Callaway Superhot 55 balls on Ebay. I've ordered these before and had no problem (different buyer I'm sure - there are so many out there). So today when I returned home and opened up the case, something was odd. There is no '55' anywhere on the box - just 'Superhot.' These are also made in Taiwan according to the box - isn't Callaway based in Carlsbad? And I did open up a sleeve and the writing just seemed a bit off.

I'm thinking of returning these to the shipper (even though I have to pay return shipping costs) to get my money back. What do you think? Should I just not worry about it and play them as I won't be on the Tour this week (or any other soon), or should I send them back and warn others that they're getting a fugazi? Or perhaps I'm just misinformed about the product, but I'm pretty sure the Superhots are either 55s or 70s - there is no simple Superhot by itself, right? Any help appreciated. And if this is a scam/bad product, I think a poor review is in order! Thanks in advance!

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Wednesday July 19, 2017 3:42 PM]]
 Message #84930
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Ebay scam? Callaway ball question

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday July 19, 2017 4:31 PM
From the Callaway website:
To report a suspected counterfeit product, please email us at report.counterfeits@callawaygolf.com and include the following information:

Seller’s name and contact info (including URL);
Description of products purchased or offered for sale; and
Evidence suggesting that the products are counterfeit.
Callaway Golf cannot reimburse you for, or repair, counterfeit product, but it is actively involved in enforcement efforts against counterfeiters around the globe, and any information about counterfeit product that you can provide will help our efforts. To learn more about Callaway Golf’s efforts to fight counterfeiters and to protect consumers from counterfeit products, please visit www.KeepGolfReal.com.

https://www.callawaygolf.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-CG2-Site/en_US/C ustomerService-Show?fid=help&cid=help-counterfeit-warning&gcid=&s_kwcid=&ecid=&sid=&scecid=
 Message #84931 - This was a reply to message #84930
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Wednesday July 19, 2017 5:23 PM
Thanks Mark - good stuff - I've sent them an email. Of course if I'm just crazy I don't wish to get anyone in trouble! But does it sound a little fake to you? I mean are there any Superhots by themselves or aren't they all either 55 or 70? That's my main red flag.
 Message #84933 - This was a reply to message #84931
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday July 19, 2017 5:31 PM
I don't play those balls so I have no knowledge. Surely someone here will, though.
 Message #84934 - This was a reply to message #84933
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Thursday July 20, 2017 11:22 AM
Not sure as they don't say where they are made but callaway does sell a Superhot without any numbers.For its golf balls – for which the company now claims a solid and growing No. 2 marketshare position in terms of sales – Callaway uses overseas factories to support domestic manufacturing. A factory in Chicopee, Mass., manufactures highly proprietary ball varieties such as multi-layer balls, while factories in China and Taiwan supply balls with simpler constructions.

[[Edited by sammy3 on Thursday July 20, 2017 11:47 AM]]
 Message #84938 - This was a reply to message #84930
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday July 20, 2017 11:28 AM
I have seen many w/o the # 55 and have found many w/o the # 55 on them? I don't purchase the ball but I would bet if you called Rodger Dunn in S M and spoke to one of the salespeople, they could add comment to your concern?
 Message #84939 - This was a reply to message #84938
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday July 20, 2017 1:14 PM
how much did you pay, and what is retail?
 Message #84940 - This was a reply to message #84930
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Thursday July 20, 2017 3:18 PM
QUOTED  Not sure as they don't say where they are made but callaway does sell a Superhot without any numbers.For its golf balls – for which the company now claims a solid and growing No. 2 marketshare position in terms of sales – Callaway uses overseas factories to support domestic manufacturing. A factory in Chicopee, Mass., manufactures highly proprietary ball varieties such as multi-layer balls, while factories in China and Taiwan supply balls with simpler constructions.

Well that makes me feel a little better but I have never seen them without the accompanying 55 or 70. Hopefully they're legit.

QUOTED  I have seen many w/o the # 55 and have found many w/o the # 55 on them? I don't purchase the ball but I would bet if you called Rodger Dunn in S M and spoke to one of the salespeople, they could add comment to your concern?

I took Mark's advice and wrote to Callaway directly so I'll wait to hear back from them before making any more fuss.
QUOTED  how much did you pay, and what is retail?

They were like $34.98 but then like an idiot I didn't bother to check shipping which was $12.98! Lesson learned, but at least I thought I was getting legit balls! If they're fakes AND I paid too much to simply avoid going to the store, then I'm gonna be really annoyed! ;-p
 Message #84942 - This was a reply to message #84940
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Thursday July 20, 2017 3:34 PM
When the Superhot first came out in 2015, it was just that, the Superhot. In late 2016, Callaway debuted the Superhot 70 and repackaged the original as the Superhot 55. Or vice versa, I could be wrong.

If I was a betting man, I would say you bought the older version before the repackaging.

I don't know if they still do, but I was finding the 55 at Costco for $30/2 dozen.
 Message #84943 - This was a reply to message #84942
gary00

Favorite Golfer:
    jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    arrow wood

Thursday July 20, 2017 5:52 PM
costco superhot 55 $59 for 4 dozen
 Message #84944 - This was a reply to message #84943

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies