mlslaw
Convert fairway metal to hybrid?

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 16, 2018 12:44 PM
I've got a 19 and 22 degree hybrids. And, I have old Cleveland 19 and 15 degree fairway metals. I've heard that there now exists hybrids that replicate what the fairway metals accomplish (e.g. 14/16 degrees) and that are supposedly easier to hit based on shorter length.

Grateful for any feedback if this transition would be worthwhile.
 Message #89641
sparky14
RE: Convert fairway metal to hybrid?

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday October 16, 2018 1:53 PM
Yes, there are hybrids as low as 15 degrees, although I am not aware of any from the major OEMs. Just did a little internet searching - can't say that I can find much lower than 16 degrees. Looks like Mizuno has a 16 degree with an adjustable hosel that can get to 14*, there are probably others like that. At 41" long, it is a couple inches shorter than a 3 wood.

Shorter length - yes. But that shorter length also equates to less clubhead speed and less max distance. But you might hit the hybrid more consistently - so average distance may not suffer.

If you fail too much with the 3w, it might be worth a shot.
 Message #89643 - This was a reply to message #89641
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Tuesday October 16, 2018 2:40 PM
I'm pretty consistent with the 3 wd; just thinking newer tech would translate into better contact
 Message #89644 - This was a reply to message #89643
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 16, 2018 3:57 PM
Check the lie of the 3 & 5 woods, then figure out the shaft length you'll be installing. The shorter the shaft from its original length of that club head, the lie will adjust to a flatter lie (as you come closer to the ball, the more upright the shaft will be at address/impact position, therefore the club's toe also starts to point downward- flat). If that lie ends up to be correct for your static fitting (height, wrist to ground), then it will probably work. How good? It now depends on the dynamic fitting. Club weight + shaft, flex...

Good luck.
JVGA
 Message #89645 - This was a reply to message #89641
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday October 17, 2018 5:24 PM
In addition to the 17-19-21 degree lofts that are part of my everyday setup, I have a SONARTEC MD in a 15 degree that I’ll throw in the bag in place of my 3-wood when course conditions warrant.

Although shorter in playing length...41” vs. 42.5”...I’m able to generate the same distance but have much more control over the shot trajectory with the SONARTEC. The added heel-to-toe measurement also affords more forgiveness and helps boost my confidence level.

I like the flatter, piercing ball flight the hybrid generates but I can get a bit more height with a couple of swing adjustments. This type of trajectory comes in handy on ‘fast’ courses where I might be looking to maximize my roll-out or when facing windy conditions. Under those circumstances, the hybrid gives me more overall yardage vs. the 3-wood.

And don’t buy into the belief that a shorter club will automatically lead to a loss of distance; everyone’s situation is unique. It’s all about delivering the club to the ball in a manner that maximizes the transfer of stored energy. I’ve seen instances where people, myself included, were able to control and swing a shorter club more efficiently than a longer one, thus negating any preconceived notion that they would be sacrificing distance by opting for the shorter length.

If you’re not finding the center of the club face, club length should be taken into consideration. Not only does it apply to drivers and fairway clubs, but to irons as well.
 Message #89659 - This was a reply to message #89641
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 18, 2018 12:32 PM
I feel from a personal standpoint, that depending upon what course and what type of grass they have, I will use either a 3 wood or hybrid. So sometimes I carry a 3 W and equivalent 3 hybrid, depending upon the course. Sometimes I might just take my 5 W and 3 W because of the grass on the course. Sometimes I carry just hybrids? I feel that gives me a better balance while playing vs always being dependent upon the same clubs all the time.
 Message #89665 - This was a reply to message #89641
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday October 18, 2018 12:56 PM
Strangely enough, I'm considering the inverse. When I first started playing now six years ago, of course I could not hit a long iron for my life. So a few years back I ended up going with hybrids 3, 4 and 5. The longest iron I kept in my bag was my 6. But now that I can actually hit that 6 just fine, I have actually been wondering if I should bust out the 5 and 4 irons again. Lo and behold, I took the 4i to the driving range last night and absolutely thumped it. So now what? Decisions, decisions ...
 Message #89666 - This was a reply to message #89665

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]