SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday March 1, 2017 7:13 AM
Holy smokes did someone wake the USGA up, there are a ton of rules changes.....none of which I will remember and post another thread here because I know I can trust the GK folks to know for clarification.

Ugh of course this doesn't go into effect until 2019.

[[Edited by weber2323 on Wednesday March 1, 2017 7:44 AM]]
 Message #82631
stickboy
RE: Rules change

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday March 1, 2017 8:47 AM
I was just reading about all the changes on golf wrx. Many of the proposed changes really raised my eyebrows;

http://www.golfwrx.com/435644/the-usga-proposes-major-changes-to-the-rules-of-golf/
 Message #82632 - This was a reply to message #82631
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Wednesday March 1, 2017 9:05 AM
Those are some mighty crazy changes... loads of things to help improve the speed of play and reduce arguing over one rule superseding another.

Problem is I have to relearn the rule book LOL
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #82634 - This was a reply to message #82632
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Wednesday March 1, 2017 9:32 AM
Good for the game!

Anything that doesn't work can be modified later.

I know many of us with official handicap indexes already use Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) for those instances where we cannot without undue delay finish a hole within the rules and where finishing is moot due to the fact that you can only post a maximum score for any given hole/hdcp level. (Think the mystery lost ball where there was no reason to play a provisional and returning to the previous spot would cause delay (Pechanga) or at some courses an unhappy or worse greeting from the following group(s))

I do think that a provisional from the tee should be allowed to be used for all rules (Lost Unplayable OB) rather than needing to be declared specifically for a given rule. ex. if you hit a provisional for a ball thought to be OB but find it unplayable instead of out, you currently have to go back to the tee, if you choose that as your option, and hit a third ball as your stroke and distance penalty rather than using the provisional simply because it was declared for OB.

In 35 years of playing golf and listening to hundreds of players proudly boast that they PLAY BY THE RULES I have seen exactly two players go back to the previous spot during recreational play (outside of competition)
 Message #82636 - This was a reply to message #82631
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday March 1, 2017 9:53 AM
Still no divot relief. Dumb.

I heard an explanation of reasoning and it was as dumb as not addressing the relief.

Good luck on pace of play. Unless marshalls get off their rears and do something, you'll still have the wannabe pga tour weekend golfer that thinks they need 5 minutes to line up a 3 foot putt.
 Message #82637 - This was a reply to message #82634
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Wednesday March 1, 2017 11:22 AM
I like the drop rule.

There would be no limitations to how high from the ground the ball must be dropped, as long as it moves through the air from some height above the ground.
 Message #82639 - This was a reply to message #82637
sammy3

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Bolt
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble

Wednesday March 1, 2017 11:33 AM
I like keeping the flag in, dropping from any distance, and my favorite is you must align yourself up, no more help from your caddie.
 Message #82640 - This was a reply to message #82631
DarkHorse

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods, Mike Weir
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rancho, Rustic Canyon

Wednesday March 1, 2017 11:51 AM
Other than the search for the ball, it seems as many of the other rules can increase the length of playing time with leaving the flag stick in (some people may want it out, others will want it in - can you imagine a foursome with 2 players wanting it in and 2 players wanting it out when they are all on the green), more repairs and touching of the putting line, removing loose impediments in hazards, replacing balls in play and so on.

For the casual player, this means nothing as there is probably little change to what they may normally do. At least this gives those of us who follow the rules a couple of years to learn them.

I wonder if some tournaments will try to be early adopters of some of these rules. I have played in a couple of SCGA One Day Series and have had seen them use local rules liberally.
 Message #82641 - This was a reply to message #82632
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday March 1, 2017 11:59 AM
The changes proposed are HUGE, I mean monumental. Great to see the governing bodies of the game are taking their responsibilities seriously and shoe the golfers of the world that they can be flexible.

I'm sure they'll be plenty of discussion in the next two years both at golf courses with our buds and here on GK, too.

QUOTED  Still no divot relief. Dumb.

I heard an explanation of reasoning and it was as dumb as not addressing the relief.

robule, the argument has always been: where do you draw the line at what is and what is not a divot? I don't think you'll ever see a Rule for this situation.
 Message #82642 - This was a reply to message #82639
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Wednesday March 1, 2017 12:26 PM
1. The new drop is in line with the ol' toss the ball from the cart or as you walk up

2. Balls entering a hazard now can not be dropped on the other side of a hazard, unless a Local Rule applies. So drop areas across water/long carries can still be used.

3. Wished they would change the OB rule to the lateral hazard rule. Ball rolls under a fence with a white stake, go back and play it again. Hit a ball 50 yards into a lake, drop where it crossed the line. But like Cencalhack said, no one goes back anyways. Just make the change.

4. Losing the penalty for hitting the flagstick on a putt from the green takes away the required "that's a 2 shot penalty" when someone hits it close enough to tap it in as they walk up to pull the flag for everyone else.

5. I see some liberal use of the ability to move loose impediments in a hazard/bunker. I see some landscaping going on.

The new rules really won't change how I already play, except for the loose impediment rule. I will use that one all the time.
 Message #82643 - This was a reply to message #82641

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]