Dialing it back to move forward

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday March 5, 2017 5:21 PM
Strange game this is. I started golfing 12 years ago using game-improvement irons, and when some skill actually began to peek through, made the switch to a more workable "players" style of iron. I have played them very well, I might add (for my standards). Wanting a new set, I spent the last few months testing everything I could get my hands on with a completely open mind. Guess what? Back to game-improvement! And, for the first time, graphite! I was hoping things would have headed in the opposite direction, as I was obsessed with picking up some forged cavities or even blades...but numbers and results just don't lie.

For reference, my current irons are Ping i15 with KBS C-Taper stiff flex, 1/2" long and green dot (2.25* upright), and my new set, which will be delivered tomorrow, are Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal, 1" long and 1* upright, with Project X LZ Tour graphite in 6.0 flex.

I'm stoked, the dispersion numbers (both length and sideways) are way tighter than I'm used to. 2017 is going to be a good year for my scores!
 Message #82682
Rat-Patrol
RE: Dialing it back to move forward

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday March 5, 2017 5:30 PM
. . . famous last words.
 Message #82683 - This was a reply to message #82682
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Sunday March 5, 2017 6:04 PM
Ouch.
 Message #82684 - This was a reply to message #82683
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday March 5, 2017 7:49 PM
Am I reading correctly that your shafts are slightly longer 1/2" and that your shafts have more flex. I can tell you when I made similar changes it was a huge difference.

Having said that, I believe the way to avoid the ouch is to go to a range with a trackman, or my favorite the PGA Super Store and hit each club over several days (don't try to do all at once) and learn what each will do. With the data comes added confidence, and you will avoid any ouch. My guess is you hit it better and enjoy it more.

Have fun.
 Message #82685 - This was a reply to message #82684
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Monday March 6, 2017 8:01 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By grantar2 on 03.05.2017 7:49 PM]

Am I reading correctly that your shafts are slightly longer 1/2" and that your shafts have more flex. I can tell you when I made similar changes it was a huge difference.

Having said that, I believe the way to avoid the ouch is to go to a range with a trackman, or my favorite the PGA Super Store and hit each club over several days (don't try to do all at once) and learn what each will do. With the data comes added confidence, and you will avoid any ouch. My guess is you hit it better and enjoy it more.

Yes, the shafts are longer, but the flex is nearly identical (by my own feel)...just a different and significantly lighter material.

Thanks for the sound advice. I do have a park across the street that I use to dial in distances with my gps and laser, so I'm set there. The "ouch" was more in reference to Rat's attempt at either humor or trolling, can't figure out which.

My scores are already trending lower this year, I just need to eliminate the blow up holes and these point and shoot irons should go a long way towards that goal. So far I'm averaging nearly 3 birdies a round in 2017 and I have 4 eagles already as well...that's huge for me. But I have a couple double-digit numbers too, from terrible decision making. Hoping to squash that.
 Message #82691 - This was a reply to message #82685
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday March 6, 2017 1:52 PM
Evil...

From where I sit, being a staunch Mizuno fan, I believe you're headed in the right direction with the JPX-900 Hot Metal irons. Given the fact you went into the testing/purchase process with an open mind, not allowing your journey to be colored or influenced by any pre-conceived notions regarding club type or brand, basing your decision strictly on performance is the best approach you could have taken.

Personally, the aesthetics of the JPX-900 Hot Metal irons don't suit my eye but Mizuno has done an excellent job of "disguising" the super game improvement features into the design of that particular model. And while they certainly won't trick you into thinking you've got an MP-5 in your hands, the feel is definitely a couple of notches above the competition's offerings.

Distance shouldn't be a problem...given the plus-length shafts and strong lofts...but if that shot dispersion you alluded to tightens up then 2017 could indeed be pretty special for you. My only question is did you get a chance to hit them with the Nippon Modus 3 shaft and, if so, what were your impressions and results?
 Message #82698 - This was a reply to message #82682
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Monday March 6, 2017 2:10 PM
I did try the Modus, and the results were great. They felt amazing at impact, a bit lighter than I'm used to so more clubhead speed, and a good, positive "loading" feeling; neither boardy nor whippy. Excellent dispersion too. I would have gone with them had I not been pretty set on graphite. My wrists are arthritic and I have tendinitis, so I could really tell the difference between the steel and graphite, especially on grass as opposed to the mats in fitting bays. FWIW I tried Recoils and Steelfibers too, but the Project X ended up ticking all the boxes for me. I also went with midsize grips to further assist with limiting trauma to my wrists.
 Message #82699 - This was a reply to message #82698
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday March 6, 2017 9:08 PM
QUOTED  I did try the Modus...a bit lighter than I'm used to...but the Project X ended up ticking all the boxes for me.

Interesting...especially since the Project X LZ iron shafts are lighter than the Modus 3.
 Message #82701 - This was a reply to message #82699
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday March 7, 2017 5:36 AM
QUOTED  Interesting...especially since the Project X LZ iron shafts are lighter than the Modus 3.

Yes, significantly lighter. The graphite I got, if the shafts were uncut, would be around a 15 gram difference if memory serves me correctly. Both were much lighter than the 120g C-Tapers I've been playing, with the LZ graphite the lightest. To be fair, I didn't give the LZ steel a chance...the Modus felt so good for steel that I went straight to the graphite from there to see if I could handle it and to experience the dampening effects. And graphite won. Not to mention the matte black looks just plain cool!

An Interesting observation: With the LZ graphite, pured shots (that I wasn't trying to work) went almost dead straight. But toe hits, which are my main miss, turned into push draws that ended up right on target but 5-10 yards short. That didn't happen with the other shafts, and I have no explanation for it. But those are misses I can definitely live with.
 Message #82702 - This was a reply to message #82701
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday March 7, 2017 2:17 PM
QUOTED  With the LZ graphite, pured shots...went almost dead straight. Toe hits...turned into push-draws that ended up right on target but 5-10 yards short. That didn't happen with the other shafts and I have no explanation for it...but those are misses I can definitely live with.

Might be due to the higher torque rating of the Projext X LZ shaft. Depending on shaft flex, Dynamic Gold, C-Taper, and the Modus 3 typically exhibit torque values that fall between 1.6 and 1.9 degrees; in comparison, the LZ Graphite specs out at 3.0 degrees. This will have a direct effect on how much the club shaft/head is twisting through the impact zone.

And while we all strive to stripe the ball on each and every shot, golf IS a game of misses and minimizing the effect of an off-center strike goes a long way towards keeping the big numbers off the score card. Wishing you the best with the new set and looking forward to some further feedback once you get things dialed in.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday March 7, 2017 2:21 PM]]
 Message #82703 - This was a reply to message #82702

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]