Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
How Serious Are You About Your Golf Game?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: How Serious Are You About Your Golf Game?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3
1PLUS1
How Serious Are You About Your Golf Game?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 27, 2017 1:29 PM
Okay fellow GKers...how serious are you about your golf game? Regardless of how frequent/infrequently you play, do you put any time in away from the course to refine your swing or a particular facet of your game? Do you have an instructor to consult with, prefer to go it alone, or just accept things as they are? Will you spend time on the practice tee to improve your ball-striking or simply leave things to chance, hoping you'll make better swings the next time you play?

Reason I ask is that I'm one who devotes a lot of attention to my swing when not playing and a good portion of that occurs right here at home. I tend to rely on a lot of self-shot video, rather than solely on "feel", as a means of confirming that I'm on the right track when working on my swing. Remember, the mantra states "What you feel may not be real", and I couldn't agree more.

I also find that adhering to a regular regimen of drills and conditioning exercises is equally beneficial. Maintaining flexibility and strength go a long way towards being able to put the club in the proper position so I value that aspect of my off-course routine as much as the practice range sessions.

So although most of us are recreational golfers and not playing for a living, that doesn't mean we can't try to improve our games, regardless of talent and skill level. In that regard, to what extent are you willing to take it?
 Message #82981
Itslikeimsayin
RE: How Serious Are You About Your Golf Game?

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday March 27, 2017 2:03 PM
I hate practicing golf almost as much as I love playing golf. So most of my game improvement strategy involves hoping for the best, watching the occasional YouTube instruction video and practicing chipping in my living room, hoping I don't blade one through my sliding glass door.
 Message #82984 - This was a reply to message #82981
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday March 27, 2017 9:23 PM
My back can't take pounding balls anymore, even playing two days in a row is a bit much. I was a low single digit handicapper years ago for a minute when I could practice a lot . . . those days are behind me now.
 Message #82987 - This was a reply to message #82984
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Monday March 27, 2017 11:19 PM
My new job allows me to play as much (if not more) golf than before, but practice less. But my aim is the same - become a single-digit handicapper before I turn 50 in three years. Each year I've been playing (now in my 5th year) has seen steady improvement over the long term, but of course many steps back along the way.

I'm always concerned about a coach who will want to tear me down and start from scratch - I know I could not handle the months of playing really poorly in order to catch up. I need a coach who simply tweaks what's already there. I know I have good shots in me, I just want them on a much more consistent basis.

But when I can I still hit the range and try to work on solid contact above all. Occasionally, when something isn't really working, I will go back to all of those available YouTube videos and try to find one that makes sense to me, then work on it. I think after a few years on this job I will make more time for the practice to reach my goal. In the meantime, just trying to slowly, steadily get better and not lose my mind trying.
 Message #82988 - This was a reply to message #82987
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday March 28, 2017 3:00 AM
QUOTED  I'm always concerned about a coach who will want to tear me down and start from scratch. I need a coach who simply tweaks what's already there. I know I have good shots in me, I just want them on a much more consistent basis.

Keep in mind Rob that a reputable instructor should always inquire about a potential student's goals and how much time and effort they are willing to devote towards achieving the desired results. If you state that your objective is to tighten up the loose shots without having to undergo a major overhaul...due to the reservations you expressed in your post...an accomplished teacher should be able to provide some guidance that will get you headed on the right track.

Sometimes just a simple adjustment to your stance, ball position, or other basic fundamental can make a big difference in how you strike the ball. To give you an example, my instructor pointed out during a session last year that I wasn't lining up the golf ball in the center of the club face with my irons at address.

And in your quest to hit that single-digit index before turning 50, be sure to hone that short game and approach shots from 125 yards and in. Loose shots off the tee can certainly hurt one's score but not to the extent of those shots that are thrown away around the greens. Hope you're able to hit that goal well before the Big 50 appears!
 Message #82994 - This was a reply to message #82988
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday March 28, 2017 6:06 AM
I'm as serious about golf as my budget and available time allow me to be.

If I have time to go to the range, it means I have time to play at least 9...so I usually play.

I chip/pitch in my front yard almost daily, and whenever I grill dinner in the backyard (which is almost daily 'cause that's how I roll) I practice full swings between flipping/checking the grub.
 Message #82999 - This was a reply to message #82994
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday March 28, 2017 10:07 AM
QUOTED  ...whenever I grill dinner in the backyard (which is almost daily 'cause that's how I roll) I practice full swings between flipping/checking the grub.

That's too funny! And a true sign you are committed to your game...just make sure you're not "flipping" through impact!
 Message #83008 - This was a reply to message #82999
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Wednesday March 29, 2017 9:41 AM
I carry at least a wedge and a shag bag in my vehicle at all times. I will spend time at lunch or between customers hitting the closest practice area. When I carry the full set, I will also putt. My back (common theme?) doesn't like hitting buckets which is unfortunate because my stats from last year show that to reach my goal of 5 index I need to improve my GIR, specifically my iron play as my driver is on par.
 Message #83030 - This was a reply to message #82981
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Wednesday March 29, 2017 8:27 PM
I do practice quite a bit. I hate playing non 18 holes. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I played 9 holes, I'd rather hit the range instead. I'm more concerned with quality golf rather than quantity. Having a family now has forced me to emphasize this more. So when I play I make sure it's a course I know I like and conditions are adequate (thanks to a certain website). I do have a range by my office so I do go there a lot. I had an over the top swing so I've been working hard to get my swing more inside.

Over the past month or 2 I have been putting a lot more. Sadly all that work has yet to pay off on my scorecard which is odd because when I have been praciticing my putting I do well. I use a yardstick and put the ball in the hole at the end of the stick and putt on this. It doesn't take much to get the ball to fall off the yardstick. So if I can keep the ball on the stick that's 3 feet and should start on the line I want.
 Message #83047 - This was a reply to message #82981
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday March 30, 2017 1:24 AM
Some good points, Jeff - thanks. And you're 100% right ... need to find the right person who understands exactly what I want. If I don't get that - no worries, just walk. I hope I can find that consistency. And thanks for the pre-50 motivational speech! I'll get there ...
 Message #83049 - This was a reply to message #82994

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]