Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday August 2, 2017 2:33 PM
Played a tournament round today locally. One hole has a weird footprint. The left side is the driving range, separated by a rail fence and is OB. The right side is a street, separated by a barbed wire fence and is OB. Immediately adjacent to the fence and Point A is a recently somewhat paved area they use for parking in the winter and now designated a hazard- probably 60ft long and 30ft wide. (course belongs to the ski conglomerate- they do what they want)

One of the women in my group hit a nice drive but it veered right and came to rest in thick tall weeds between the paved area and the street a little more than midway down the hazard. She hit a provisional because we couldn't tell if it was OB or not. When we arrived at her ball it was indeed buried in the weeds, and was directly in line with the majority of the fence. However in this section the T-posts were pushed out some by the snow moving the wire toward the street also. An unplayable would result in the ball landing on the paved area. The provisional ball was in the middle of the fairway.

What would you do and why?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #85164
evildrummerhb
RE: How would you play it?

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Wednesday August 2, 2017 2:54 PM
Since the original ball was found in bounds, the provisional no longer applies and must be abandoned. Therefore, I'd look at my options for dropping outside the hazard/declaring an unplayable ball. If no drop area gave me a decent lie with a hope of advancing the ball to somewhere on or near the green, I'd go back to the tee box and hit 3.
 Message #85165 - This was a reply to message #85164
callykid

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday August 2, 2017 5:42 PM
Agree with above. It's not like you get a choice between what balls you should play when you arrive on the scene. Since she found her original ball, that is the ball in play and the provisional ball is picked up. She cannot claim I'm declaring my first ball out and I'll choose to play my provisional ball in the fairway lying 3. At this point she can decline playing her original ball but will have to go back to the tee and re-tee. Or she can opt to drop outside the hazard by declaring an unplayable ball (2 club lengths + 1 penalty stroke). Or keeping your spot there thru the green you can go as far back as needed to drop as well. If none of these drop options work the best thing IMO is to declare the drive unplayable and go back to the tee and re-tee and wherever that ball ends up you'll be lying 3.
 Message #85166 - This was a reply to message #85165
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Wednesday August 2, 2017 9:43 PM
But what if the ball is OB? Just because the fence was bent over for a few feet doesn't really change the OB line when the rest of the fence is in tact and straight, right? Or would you say it did? It was quite obvious where the line of the fence was supposed to go. That's kind of the sticking point here.
 Message #85168 - This was a reply to message #85166
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Wednesday August 2, 2017 11:03 PM
If the fence itself designates OB, then as long as the ball is on the correct side it's in play. The 'intended' OB line is irrelevant in my opinion. If the committee wants to correct for an irregularity in the fence line to make a nice, straight OB line, they'd have to grab the white paint and spray it on the ground.

With that being said...if the fence POSTS designate OB, and it's a part of the fence between two posts that's bent outside the OB line, then we have a different story...
 Message #85169 - This was a reply to message #85168
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Thursday August 3, 2017 7:36 PM
QUOTED 
If the fence itself designates OB, then as long as the ball is on the correct side it's in play. The 'intended' OB line is irrelevant in my opinion. If the committee wants to correct for an irregularity in the fence line to make a nice, straight OB line, they'd have to grab the white paint and spray it on the ground

I see potential for poor choices with that interpretation. Example- if you hit a decent shot but it goes wide and lands under a border fence like this one- T-posts and barbed wire, and you don't want to take an OB, you could just lean on the T-posts until they bent/moved, and then play your ball with no penalties.

In this case the base of the posts, where they enter the dirt, were aligned with all the other posts. There's about 10-12 feet between posts. However two of those posts were bent outwards which pulled the barbed wire outwards as well. The ball was outside a line drawn from post base to post base but inside according to the wire. Does that make sense? After discussion we decided to call it OB and replay. I would like to know for future occasions if there actually IS a ruling about this or if it's every golfer on their own! :-)
 Message #85173 - This was a reply to message #85169
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jordan Spieth
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Thursday August 3, 2017 8:51 PM
Base of the fence designates out of bounds. The ball was OB and the provisional would be the ball in play.
 Message #85174 - This was a reply to message #85173
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Thursday August 3, 2017 9:25 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By lotrgolfer48 on 08.03.2017 8:51 PM]

Base of the fence designates out of bounds. The ball was OB and the provisional would be the ball in play.

Thanks! That's how we played it. :-)
 Message #85175 - This was a reply to message #85174
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Friday August 4, 2017 7:25 AM
That additional description painted a much better picture in my head...I'm slow sometimes, I'll admit it 100% OB, provisional is in play.
 Message #85177 - This was a reply to message #85173

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]