JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday August 11, 2017 3:50 PM
Having increasing pain on the inside right elbow bone for over a month (I swing right handed), I guess its "golfer elbow" although using a pressure strap on my arm does nothing to relieve it. Only thing that seems to help is resting it. Been trying some anti-inflammatory ointments and advil during my round, that helps to where I can swing but as I found out this last trip to Vegas, I'm barely only able to make a decent driver swing for the first 9 holes, then the arm strength shuts down, pain gets bad, swing gets real flat, all havoc breaks loose.

I can however put a decent long iron swing on the ball off the tee throughout the round. So I got 1 week until my next two rounds, both on the same day, that could be challenging, but no driver next time, not even going to bring it. Fingers crossed that works.

Again, I'm not exactly sure what is going on with my elbow, I think its golfers elbow, so if anyone that has dealt with golf related elbow pain has some suggestions for relief and rehab, I'll all ears!
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #85247
robule
RE: All Irons - Elbow Pain

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday August 11, 2017 4:28 PM
Sounds like golfers elbow. I tweaked mine trying to kill drives. It's the tendon that is getting small tears in it is what I've found out.

Make sure the strap is placed properly on your arm. Most wear them too far up the arm, right next to the spot that hurts. The strap needs to be on the muscle a couple finger widths down to dampen the vibration your muscle/tendon is seeing. If it doesn't have some kind of pad, get one with a compression pad, big difference in peformance.

I'm guessing you are swinging a bit different with the driver, lots of right arm in it.

Rest, Ice and stretching are the only things that really helped me. I had to stop playing for a couple months. Every time I swung a club with any speed, it re-aggravated the injury. Aleve before a round along with a good stretching.
 Message #85248 - This was a reply to message #85247
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Friday August 11, 2017 4:50 PM
I had to switch to graphite shafts on my irons due to elbow pain. Too many irons off of range mats. All better now.
 Message #85249 - This was a reply to message #85247
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Friday August 11, 2017 5:47 PM
QUOTED  Make sure the strap is placed properly on your arm. Most wear them too far up the arm, right next to the spot that hurts. The strap needs to be on the muscle a couple finger widths down to dampen the vibration your muscle/tendon is seeing. If it doesn't have some kind of pad, get one with a compression pad, big difference in peformance.

Rob you nailed it - I was putting the strap on my forearm (as in tennis elbow), not bicep next to the primary pain. That helped. The strap has however limited my swing more but at least its not in as much pain when I swing. Thanks!

I'll be playing the white tees next week - and for however long it takes for this to heal. NO DRIVER. I want my full swing and power back!
 Message #85250 - This was a reply to message #85248
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday August 11, 2017 6:11 PM
Not sure I understand. With palm up, the strap should compress the inside muscles of your forearm about 2-3 finger widths down from the funny bone spot.

If you are having pain in your bicep, that's something entirely different.
 Message #85251 - This was a reply to message #85250
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday August 11, 2017 6:29 PM
Not a good sign Johnny...all symptoms point to tendinitis of the elbow. I've had first-hand experience with the condition and, depending on the degree of inflammation and severity of the pain, you could be looking at an extended, slow recovery process. During my initial bout, where I was unable to grip a club and suspend it just a couple of inches off the ground without wincing in excrutiating pain, I was forced to go six months without hitting a golf ball. A second flare-up occured a few years later but was much more manageable and short-lived. Since that second episode, I have not had any issues.

As far as remedies/preventative methods are concerned, I adopted a regimen of "deep tissue icing" and restricted the use of that arm until I was able to get things under control. Once I did resume playing, I continued with the icing technique with an occasional pre-round dose of Advil if I felt it was necessary. The best investment I made was purchasing a Cold-One refreezeable gel pack compression sleeve, which tightly wraps around the elbow and forces the cold deep into the affected area. Much more effective than employing a bag of frozen vegetables or a homemade gel pack; the compression feature is an integral part of its' benefit. Two or three times a day for twenty minutes at a time...and always after a round of golf...helped accelerate the recovery process. As far as using an elbow strap is concerned, my research told me they're largely ineffective, somewhat restrictive, and, at best, only mask the pain.

While I'm convinced my problem originated with a swing flaw that put undue strain on the elbow...which led to some swing adjustments in order to eliminate the root cause...I also opted to switch from Dynamic Gold to KBS Tour 90 shafts in my irons. Much smoother and markedly less harsh than the Dynamic Golds, the KBS shafts provided additional relief via the shock absorbing qualities inherent in their design. Nippon shafts were also under my consideration and are another great alternative to graphite iron shafts.

Best advice I can give you is to listen to your body, give it the level of care and rest it requires, get a Cold-One elbow sleeve...and call me in the morning.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Friday August 11, 2017 6:36 PM]]
 Message #85252 - This was a reply to message #85247
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Friday August 11, 2017 7:03 PM
Sorry to hear it, Johnny. I've dealt with both golfers (inside) and tennis (outside) elbow simultaneously, which started two years ago. Too much golf/impact/twisting and old age is the cause, creating tendonitis (inflammation).

Good advice already given. Would suggest no golf for 10 days or so to let things settle down if you can. At least take it easy, and don't hit off of mats. Advil before you play to help keep inflammation down. Ice afterwards. A good massage on the arm, hitting the muscles in the forearm, etc., in a few days may be helpful to keep the blood flowing - I found this helps.

When I first was struck by it, it was after hitting shots w/divots off of clay/hard fairways and just continuing to golf for several rounds.

Another thing to check out is the Therabar. I've got one, and while it didn't 'cure' me, I do believe it helped some. May go back to it now as a preventative measure now that you've reminded me. Do a search on youtube for some good videos on its use for golfer's elbow. There is a very specific move you need to make with it.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field- keywords=therabar

Something else to try is squeezing a nerf ball for awhile.

You may also want to look into lighter shafts, shaft inserts, graphite, different grips (e.g. Winn), etc., if the problem persists. 'Lightening the overall load/stress' on your elbow should be a goal.

It is something I found I need to 'manage', but at this point I don't think about it much... my hip pain is a bigger problem these days! Good Luck!

[[Edited by leef2020 on Friday August 11, 2017 7:11 PM]]
 Message #85253 - This was a reply to message #85247
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday August 11, 2017 7:11 PM
I have a theraband flexbar and it does help with strengthening the area.

The elbow band helps me immensely. I couldn't play as much or hit as many balls without it.

[[Edited by robule on Friday August 11, 2017 7:12 PM]]

[[Edited by robule on Friday August 11, 2017 7:13 PM]]
 Message #85254 - This was a reply to message #85253
oceangrub

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday August 11, 2017 9:28 PM
I developed tendonitis once and ice was extremely helpful. Seemed like the more often I iced, the more the pain went away. Still took a few weeks at least.
 Message #85257 - This was a reply to message #85247
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Saturday August 12, 2017 7:30 PM
I knew I could rely on the GK community to give me some super advice.

Thank You

I'm convinced from reading all this it is indeed tendinitis on the inside elbow. Ice feels good. I went to a local Big 5 today to find a cold compression elbow wrap, no dice, will find one tomorrow. My irons are light weight regular shafts. I'll hit my irons as long as I need to until I'm pain free. No rushing back to woods. Actually think my swing is going to improve during this recovery. I've always had a tendency to overswing resulting in too quick of a tempo.
 Message #85260 - This was a reply to message #85247

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]