BrianH
Course Recomendations

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday August 15, 2017 9:40 AM
I have tickets to the Chargers game on September 24th and it is a 1:30 start time. Most of my rounds are played up in Ventura County since it is where I and a couple of my friends live.

Looking for suggestions for an early tee time in the general area of Carson. Needs to be a fairly quick round. I will be walking so something that isn't to crazy of a walk would be nice.

So far the considerations are Skylinks and Rio Hondo. Any other courses that you guys down in the South Bay could recommend would be great.

Thanks,
Brian
 Message #85283
evildrummerhb
RE: Course Recomendations

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday August 15, 2017 11:19 AM
Both of those are good options. I'd go with Rio Hondo personally, it fits my eye better and is a bit less expensive for the same or better quality of conditions. El Dorado Park isn't far from there and is another great choice.

Edit: I neglected to see you needed a quick round. Get out early no matter where you go...there are no quick rounds in that area lol.

[[Edited by evildrummerhb on Tuesday August 15, 2017 11:21 AM]]
 Message #85286 - This was a reply to message #85283
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Tuesday August 15, 2017 12:08 PM
QUOTED  Get out early no matter where you go...there are no quick rounds in that area lol.

True. Hondo & eldo, I've been on there at early mornings. The best of both is 4.5 hours. ...and I've never been in the lead group out.
Play from a position!
 Message #85289 - This was a reply to message #85286
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Tuesday August 15, 2017 1:39 PM
You are definitely going to have to start early considering the day will be shorter then. Lakewood is another choice that is about the same distance as Skylinks and just as walkable. Lakewood and Skylinks will send people out in the dark so you have more leeway on the start time than Rio Hondo which I believe starts times at daylight.

If you are planning to walk on without a start time, Lakewood is the most single friendly of those courses in my opinion.

Alondra might be faster but I do not recommend the course. Same for Victoria, across the freeway from the arena. They are both golf courses but not much to recommend them.
 Message #85291 - This was a reply to message #85283
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Tuesday August 15, 2017 4:13 PM
The Navy Destroyer course in Cypress can also be a possibility. Decent track, very walkable.

The South Bay sucks for golf as RDD mentioned ... do not play Alondra or Victoria ... you'll regret it. Los Verdes is close but always a zoo on the weekends, I wouldn't even bother.

Are you going out as a single? Then most courses can probably get you out off the waiting list but, to me, that's always a gamble. And, you can't call in a week in advance to get a time for a single ... BUT you can book a two-some and tell them your buddy couldn't make it at the last second ... and hope they don't charge you (probably won't, depending on if they can fill that spot off the wait list).

I've been able to book walking single times for El Do via Golfzing on Fridays, it might be the same for Saturday. Lakewood has been single-friendly if you call in.

Wherever you decide to play, first call ahead to make sure there's no early tournaments going on. If you decide to call to book a time, find out when and what time they start taking calls and speed-dial until they answer. That's the only way to get an early tee time at a muni around this area, I'm dead serious. Lastly, if you ant to go off a wait list, better be there before sunrise or you might not get out early ... or at all.

I live in the So Bay and rarely golf around here on the weekends because it's so difficult to get a tee time. Good luck.

That's all I got.
 Message #85293 - This was a reply to message #85283
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday August 15, 2017 4:46 PM
I have a friend going with me to the game and he is in my regular golfing group. We are going to make a day out of it, he lives in Burbank so I assume that I will pick him up and come up the either the 110, 710 or the 605.

It will be a twosome so I will be able to call and get a time and I am hoping that with a time a little before 7 we should be able to finish in around 5 hours or so and make it the stadium about an hour before the game to park and grab a bite to eat before the game starts.

I will definitely pass on Victoria even though it is so close as you have all said it's condition is lacking and try for either El Dorado, Skylinks, Rio Hondo, Navy Destroyer or Lakewood and see who has the best tee times to get me out of there. Is El Dorado the only course in the area that would let out fivesomes? After looking at the course layout it looks like it would be the most interesting of the group.

Thanks again for the help.
 Message #85294 - This was a reply to message #85293
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Tuesday August 15, 2017 5:13 PM
Surprisingly, ElDo is probably the least interesting in my book. Don't get me wrong, I like the course a lot, but it's very flat. No fairway undulations, no elevation changes, etc. The rough and trees are the course's only real defense. Missing fairways will make for a long, tough round.
 Message #85296 - This was a reply to message #85294
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Tuesday August 15, 2017 8:58 PM
Considering what I have heard the face value of the tickets are I would suggest selling them and splurging on a course or pocketing the money. After the last game there is nothing to see.

Sincerely an angry bitter FORMER charger fan...
 Message #85299 - This was a reply to message #85296
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday August 15, 2017 11:09 PM
Evil, I will keep it in mind and contemplate Rio Hondo as that was my dad's old stomping ground back in the day and he is always taking about playing it 20 years or so ago with my godfather.

Weber, sorry to hear that you are a former fan. Being as that I am from up here and never liked the Raiders or Rams the Chargers were my default team.
Needless to say that I am not one that is disappointed in the move. I got the tickets for face value from a season ticket holder and am taking a friend who has never been to a pro game in his life so he is pretty excited about the game. I have to admit I am a little stoked myself to see a game in such a small stadium. With that said I am realistic and realize that they probably aren't going anywhere in the playoffs any time soon.
 Message #85301 - This was a reply to message #85299
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday August 16, 2017 4:36 AM
Why would anyone waste time going to watch that team play, who cares?
 Message #85302 - This was a reply to message #85301

Listing 1 to 10 of 13 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]