Sycuan Oak Glen?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 28, 2017 12:54 PM
I'm playing this course for the first time on Saturday. It looks fairly flat and straightforward...does anyone have any special tips or need-to-know info? Thanks in advance.
 Message #85743
dconnally
RE: Sycuan Oak Glen?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Thursday September 28, 2017 1:01 PM
Lots of large trees line every fairway. Hit it straight!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #85744 - This was a reply to message #85743
weber2323
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    David Duval
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Jolla Country Club

Thursday September 28, 2017 1:17 PM
Avoid the overhead power lines on the first hole, ha.
 Message #85745 - This was a reply to message #85744
Long4par

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday September 28, 2017 2:28 PM
It is a walkable course if you want to save some money.
 Message #85746 - This was a reply to message #85745
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Thursday September 28, 2017 4:21 PM
Like you said, Oak Glen is a pretty straightforward layout but don't let that deceive you; it offers a decent mix of holes that should provide enough of a challenge, particularly to your iron play, to keep you entertained. Not long by any means...there are quite a few shortish Par-4s out there...I'd characterize it as a sporty layout that could easily frustrate you if your ball-striking is off.

The Par-3s are noteworthy...there are only three of them...and wind could definitely be a factor when it comes to club selection. There are also just three Par-5s but one (#7) may be reachable in two with a well-struck and strategically placed tee shot. While there is an abundance of short-yardage Par-4s on the card, there are a few that measure over 400 yards to offer some semblance of balance. I happen to like the layout for what it is and feel that the current redesign elevated the challenge ten-fold from it's previous incarnation.

Here are a few basic guidelines, based on how I play the course and assuming you'll be playing from the back tees:

*Driver isn't necessary on every hole, particularly the short Par-4s. Placing your tee shot in an area that leaves the approach yardage you're most comfortable with is the way to go. There are plenty of birdie opportunities out there if you plan accordingly.

*The tall tree on the right side of the fairway on #5 is the target line; a slight draw that ends just left of it will put you in the center of the fairway. And be sure to grab enough club for your approach shot; the green measures 49 yards from front-to-back.

*In order to have a shot at the green on #7 with your second shot, an aggressive draw off the tee that hugs the left side of the fairway is necessary. Even with that, the narrow opening to the green may have you think otherwise so play it smart; it's very easy to make a big number should you get wayward.

*Hit your tee shot away from the fairway trap on the right side of #8 in order to avoid bringing the tall tree that guards the green into play on the approach.

*Favor the left-center portion of the fairway on #9; anything that leaks right will most likely block your path to the green.

*#16 may be the most challenging Par-4 on the course, especially if the wind is blowing in your face. Although the green isn't very deep...just 27 yards...it's part of the double green complex that's shared with #2. Again, make sure you hit enough club here; I've seen very few balls fly over the green while many end up woefully short.

*#17 is another hole where your tee shot needs to avoid the tree line on the right...unless low-flying power-fades are your specialty.

Hope these suggestions come in handy and save you a few shots...and some grief...out there. Haven't played Oak Glen in quite a few years so I can't speak to any changes they may have made in recent times. Not sure if they employ a GPS system but the yardage book I have provides a great deal of info and might be worth your consideration. Listing the distances from the tee boxes to various hazards, etc. is where it really shines.

Above all else, have fun out there; will look forward to reading your post-round review.
 Message #85749 - This was a reply to message #85743
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday September 28, 2017 6:38 PM
5-6-7 on Oak Glen is my favorite stretch among all three Sycuan courses.
 Message #85750 - This was a reply to message #85749
evildrummerhb

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Friday September 29, 2017 7:09 AM
Thanks everyone! @1PLUS1 that's some great info for sure. I'm going with my GF so the short-ish par 4s were a big selling point... something not too difficult for her but enough of a challenge to keep me on my toes. My ball striking has been on fire lately (for me of course lol), with two 78s in my last four rounds. Hoping to go lower! FWIW I am a fader with the big stick but they go nice and high...the 3w is my more reliable draw off the tee option. And I have no problem getting a long iron out there when necessary if that will put me where I need to be. The yardage book sounds like it will be worth picking up too. Thanks again!

[[Edited by evildrummerhb on Friday September 29, 2017 7:10 AM]]
 Message #85754 - This was a reply to message #85749
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday September 29, 2017 8:18 AM
Been playing both sides for years (first tax paying job was washing dishes there) and for the life of me the holes on Oak always just meld together in my mind. I can recall most every aspect and angle on Willow, Oak, not so much. Oak is a great fun course, better before the storm in the late 70's washed it out, but when they reshaped it they did lengthen it a bit to make it comparable with Willow. Just my 2 cents.
 Message #85755 - This was a reply to message #85754
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday September 29, 2017 12:39 PM
QUOTED  The yardage book sounds like it will be worth picking up.

Hopefully the edition I have...published in 2003 by Best Approach...is still available. An added bonus is that it has both the Oak Glen and Willow Glen courses mapped out, a great 2-for-1 deal.
 Message #85756 - This was a reply to message #85754
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Friday September 29, 2017 12:44 PM
QUOTED  5-6-7 on Oak Glen is my favorite stretch among all three Sycuan courses.

Mark...how can you possibly reference Pine Glen in your comment?
 Message #85757 - This was a reply to message #85750

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]