JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 10, 2017 7:40 AM
Been following the horrific fires in NorCal. 14 of them with zero containment.

So sad for all the people that died and homes destroyed. People are missing as well.

Make sure to contact family and friends in the area to see if they are OK today.

On a much, much lessor note, would not be surprised if we lose some golf courses.
GK is now on FACEBOOK! CLICK HERE and become a fan!
 Message #85896
RDDenn
RE: Concerned! - Norcal Fire - OMG

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Tuesday October 10, 2017 4:53 PM
The fire was in sight of my brother's home in the Alexander Valley region in Sonoma County, probably within a half mile, but the wind changed thankfully and the fire stopped short. He and eight others in his immediate and more distant family (son's in-laws) that live in the Santa Rosa area evacuated to his boss's home. One couple among the evacuees lost their home.

Windsor Golf Course should be okay, I think the fire jumped 101 much south of there. The Fountaingrove Inn burned down so the Fountaingrove Country Club may have been hit. It looks like the fire would have to go through it to get to the hotels that burned.

Devastating to those that depend on the wine industry also. This should be harvest season. Many person's jobs and livelihood, beyond the vineyard owners, are at risk from this fire. As you said, on a lesser note, the wine will probably be lousy also.
 Message #85903 - This was a reply to message #85896
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Tuesday October 10, 2017 5:49 PM
This is horrible. The loss of human life is devastating and we've yet to get numbers on the loss of animal life. There were LOTS of livestock, especially horses, in that area. I have already heard horror stories from friends in the area that make me want to cry.

On a lighter note I was reading an interview with a vineyard manager who said the majority of wines in the Santa Rosa area have already been harvested and as long as their wineries were still standing they should be fine. On the other hand the Napa Valley wines are a later ripening variety and no one know yet what the outcome there will be. Unfortunately northern Santa Rosa, that was burned to the ground, was home to many of those who work in the vineyards. All the disasters combined may take years for the area to recover from.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #85906 - This was a reply to message #85903
cencalhack

Favorite Golfer:
    IDK
Favorite Golf Course:
    Old Course St Andrews

Wednesday October 11, 2017 8:51 AM
My friend, whom was with me this past couple of days down in Simi playing Rustic, lives in Santa Rosa and is a member at Fountaingrove.

His house was still standing when I left yesterday according to people that he was in contact with, although most of his neighborhood was gone.

The clubhouse at Fountaingrove is gone.
 Message #85910 - This was a reply to message #85896
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 11, 2017 9:51 AM
QUOTED  As you said, on a lesser note, the wine will probably be lousy also.

According to the CEO of Jordan wine, 75% of the wine crop had already been harvested. That at least is some good news for the region. Also, many areas of the wine area are open and available and are asking for the tourists to come and visit.

After watching the Safeway open, I am planning to visit Silverado next month.
 Message #85911 - This was a reply to message #85903
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Wednesday October 11, 2017 2:26 PM
QUOTED  According to the CEO of Jordan wine, 75% of the wine crop had already been harvested. That at least is some good news for the region. Also, many areas of the wine area are open and available and are asking for the tourists to come and visit.

Coincidentally, my wife received emails from Jordan and several other wineries/Sonoma County businesses about how they are doing. Good to see them reaching out.
 Message #85916 - This was a reply to message #85911

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]