weber
Another milestone - check !

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 29, 2017 10:31 AM
On November 12, 2014 I reached 10,000 rounds of golf since moving to California in late 1970, which did not include a few hundred rounds played near Chicago growing up nor any par 3 courses. I struggled to figure out what next? Decided 200,000 holes. (Again not including pre-1970 or par 3) so this morning on the 2nd hole at Coto de Caza - North, I reached that milestone. Yesterday I played round # 11,111.

I still have a number of goals remaining, some of which I may accomplish.

Play an 18 hole round of golf in each state (Hope to complete this in 2018)
Play all the top 50 courses in Golf Digest (Not going to happen!)
Shoot my age (Need to get lucky some day or live a lot longer)
Ace all the par 3 holes at both Coto courses ( 1/2 way there, but again not likely to happen)
Hit all 18 greens in regulation ( 17 twice, as close as I've gotten)

Not my intention to boast, but I am proud of the 200,00 hole accomplishment, which took a lot of effort. Thought maybe a few of you on GK might find it interesting ???
 Message #86347
leef2020
RE: Another milestone - check !
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Wednesday November 29, 2017 12:29 PM
That's fantastic, congratulations! Very impressive. Looks like you're averaging about a round/day since November 2014. How many times per week do you double up and play 2 (or more rounds)? You're very fortunate, and must have a strong back/abs for all that golf! Good stuff/keep it going.

What I'd be interested in knowing:

How many sets of grips have you gone through since the late 1970s? Golf gloves?
What were the clubs most likely in your bag in 197X/1980, 1990, 2000, 2000 and today? Ball played?
How many lost balls?
How many found balls (this was my father's key objective each round)?
How many penalty strokes?
How many times have you been hit by an errant golf ball?
How many ball divots on the greens have you repaired?
What was your longest drive?
Round with the least number of putts?
Average driving distance then v. now?

Cheers!
 Message #86349 - This was a reply to message #86347
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

Wednesday November 29, 2017 12:56 PM
Hi Lee,

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement. Don't think I can answer all your questions, because while I have every score card, I would have no way to track how many balls I have lost. Penalties I could find out but it would mean looking through 11,000+ cards. I've only been hit twice by errant shots (Once at Rancho Park and once at Silver Lakes in Orland Park Illinois)

As for finding lost balls, since I play nearly 5 days a week at Coto and walk every round, first off in the morning, I find a lot of balls. Over the years thousands and thousands. Since I am fairly straight, (but not long) I don't lose too many, so I am well on the + side

How many divots have I repaired. Who knows? I try to respect the course and maintain in a fashion I would hope and expect others to do,

Longest drive. Your kidding right. By the time GPS became available, I was a senior, so not very long and certainly not as long as when I wore a younger man's clothes. Ever with the old persimmon and balata balls, I can't reach the distances from my youth.

Least putts in a round 22

Average driving distance was about 240 when I was younger, now, I struggle to average 215-220.
Rarely replaced all the grips because I tended to replace the clubs instead. (Except for putter) Gloves - many, no idea how many

I have tried almost all brands of clubs over 50+ years. Presently play with Taylormade irons. As of todays have M1 driver fairways woods but that will change I'm sure
 Message #86350 - This was a reply to message #86349
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Wednesday November 29, 2017 2:15 PM
Good stuff, sir!

Compared to today's club and ball technology, I am amazed at how far I used to hit it with persimmon driver, heavy steel shaft and Titleist wound balata golf balls v. today. Used to average 250-260+ off the tee in my 20's, but now even with all the tech and lighter shafts, I'm very happy if it goes 210. Usually it only goes about 195!

Keep swinging, and hope you reach all of your goals!
 Message #86352 - This was a reply to message #86350
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Wednesday November 29, 2017 2:16 PM
That is just completely amazing, Web. Congratulations! Way to keep it in record diligently... but not only that. To play as well as you have along the way is truly commendable. I know no other golf amateur who has done what you have. More power to you and your quest.
Wishing you all the best.
Play from a position!
 Message #86353 - This was a reply to message #86347
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Tend to root for Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Wednesday November 29, 2017 2:23 PM
Tom,

This is awesome. I wish I had kept my records and scorecards as good as you obviously have from the beginning. I know how many courses I have played (923 and counting, which is one area I believe I have you beat) and I have almost every scorecard. I know there are plenty from my childhood par-3 course that I don't have from my earliest days and another patch when I first got back into golf as an adult where the cards are spotty. Then, there's a good stretch there where I wasn't always good about writing the date on the scorecard. I have the cards, but in no particular order.

Over the past 6-7 years (which accounts for a major chunk of that total course count), I have been much better about dating the scorecards, keeping a Google Calendar record of every round (which tracks my new course count every year) and keeping stats on each round. Obviously, my blog has helped me keep things more organized, as well.

I recently joined one of my friends, who is 78 years old, as he achieved his personal goal of playing 1,000 courses. He is very meticulous about his records. He has binders with copies of every single scorecard and lists of all his courses by order played, alphabetical, state, etc. It's pretty neat. My scorecards are just jumbled up in several shoe boxes in my closet. I keep them along with other memorabilia, but don't know what I'll ever do with them.

I share the same goal of playing in all 50 states, though that has been somewhat put on hold in recent years due to a variety of reasons. I am still stuck on 43 with some big ones remaining. Not a huge rush, but a goal I would like to accomplish within the next 5-10 years.

I am expecting to reach 1,000 courses myself sometime next year and that's my biggest focus at the moment. My pace has slowed down quite a bit this year, but I still will get in around 80 new courses. If I can repeat that, I'll be on pace to reach that milestone late 2018.

My other goals would be to play every course in Southern California and someday possibly all of California. I've already played every public course in SoCal and maybe just shy of half in NorCal, so it is the private courses that will make this goal extremely challenging. I've only played a handful of privates up North. I am down to under 60 private courses left to play in Southern California, but that list also includes places like Porcupine Creek (Larry Ellison's personal course) and Sunnylands, which is basically impossible for regular folks to access without becoming a world leader of some sort. SCGA just did a feature story about that course recently that was very discouraging for me. Sucks because I live right around the corner from it now! It's probably an impossible task, but it's a fun quest and I'm going to try and play as many as I can until my head falls off.

Anyway, congrats Tom on the 200K holes and good luck with the rest of your personal goals. I look forward to seeing some other GK'ers sharing their golf goals here.

[[Edited by sixpez on Wednesday November 29, 2017 2:24 PM]]
 Message #86354 - This was a reply to message #86347
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

Wednesday November 29, 2017 2:42 PM
Keith,

Thank you for your message and kind words. Always nice to hear from you.

I am blown away at your accomplishment with respect to the number of courses played and your goal to play all the courses in California That is an overwhelming task. As you have indicated, some courses are just "out of reach". I have four courses I really really want to play, but doubt I will ever tee it up on any of them; Augusta National - Pine Valley - Sand Hills - St Andrews (The only realistic possibility)

It's nice to have goals, even if some are unattainable.
 Message #86355 - This was a reply to message #86354
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Wednesday November 29, 2017 2:55 PM
What a stud=jealous. God willing I hope to play many more rounds into my 70's as you are Mr. Weber. Good job keep up the quest. As a side note I find it awesome that you are a walker as well(i love to walk)--I am sure all that exercise has served you well health wise into your 70's.

Best Wishes
 Message #86356 - This was a reply to message #86355
Hogan

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    LaPurisima, Aviara

Wednesday November 29, 2017 3:13 PM
Mr. Weber. congratulations on another milestone; like you, I started my golf odyssey back in Chicago, and moved here in 1980, my numbers are pretty lofty, but, pale to yours. Last year, I tried to add up how much money I had spent playing golf, from greens fees, equipment, vacations, qualifiers, etc. I took about a week to compile the figures, and, I am sure I left a few dollars out somewhere, over 55 years of playing, it came to be a pretty SCARY number; if you have any free time, after completing your daily round, at about 8am, maybe, 8:30 for slow play, sit down, and try to calculate your outlay on this great game. I am sure your numbers in that category will be quite impressive also, maybe, a little scary too. Stay healthy, drive safely, Mr. Jemsek would be very proud...CGG...
 Message #86359 - This was a reply to message #86356
leedabord

Favorite Golfer:
    Payne Stewart
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes, CA

Friday December 1, 2017 9:48 AM
Awesome original post and great follow up questions! Nice job!
 Message #86381 - This was a reply to message #86349

Listing 1 to 10 of 14 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]