YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Bogeys Across America Site Maintenance

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1
sixpez
Bogeys Across America Site Maintenance
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday January 18, 2018 7:08 PM
Hi everyone. Not sure if anyone has tried to visit my blog site this week, but you may have noticed it's down. This is because I have been building a new and improved site on Wordpress instead of Tumblr, which was a nightmare. I am so much happier with the new site.

The normal bogeysacrossamerica.com URL is currently being transferred over and will hopefully be activated by this weekend. Until then, the new site is actually up and can be accessed through the following Wordpress link:

https://bogeysacrossamerica.wordpress.com/

All the old content was transferred over as-is and I am still working on some aspects. I have restored all the links on the Course Reviews page, which was a huge issue with the old site. I am currently working to rebuild all the Regional Rankings pages, which will take awhile to do them all again from scratch.

Though most of the content is the same as before, you'll also notice a different look to the site. Clean and simple. I like how the post previews are there, so you can scroll through and more easily select which you want to read. Older articles won't display a picture, but all new articles moving forward will have a preview image.

The other big change is how the photos are presented within the articles. The old articles are just what they were before. It would be impossible to redo all those photos. However, new articles give me more options with how to display the photos. I would actually like to get some feedback on this. Please look at the Virginia CC post and you'll see a tiled mosaic of photos at the bottom. You can click on any photo there and it will pull up a gallery slideshow that allows you to see the images in better detail along with the corresponding captions. I think this is pretty sweet, though I've found it doesn't work as smoothly when I'm looking on my phone. I'm more of an old school desktop guy anyway.

The alternative is shown in the "Test Article." I just placed in a few pictures there to show. This displays more like the old method where you just scroll down to view all the images (except now with captions!). You cannot click on these pictures for the slideshow view. However, the pictures naturally show a lot bigger than they did on the old site, which is a vast improvement and may be smoother on mobile devices.

It's basically down to one format or the other with the photos, so I'd appreciate any feedback or votes from the GK crowd. Do you prefer the gallery/tiled option (Virginia CC) or the regular full-size option (Test Article)? Let me know what you think! Thanks.
 Message #86794
Nickesquire
RE: Bogeys Across America Site Maintenance
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Thursday January 18, 2018 7:52 PM
Bigger photo's are better IMO.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #86795 - This was a reply to message #86794
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Thursday January 18, 2018 7:58 PM
Yes! This is great news, Keith ... thanks for putting in the work my friend!
 Message #86796 - This was a reply to message #86795
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Thursday January 18, 2018 10:13 PM
Lookin' good!

Ooh, I like how the top banner image rotates!

I definitely prefer the photo presentation on the Virginia CC over the test article.
 Message #86799 - This was a reply to message #86796
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Friday January 19, 2018 12:33 AM
QUOTED  I definitely prefer the photo presentation on the Virginia CC over the test article.

100% agree - love the slideshow with picture descriptions and the more user friendly way to navigate through all the pictures instead of just scrolling down. But again - looks great!
 Message #86800 - This was a reply to message #86799
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Friday January 19, 2018 5:48 AM
Looks nice, user friendly, good show!
 Message #86801 - This was a reply to message #86800
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Friday January 19, 2018 7:47 AM
QUOTED  It's basically down to one format or the other with the photos, so I'd appreciate any feedback or votes from the GK crowd. Do you prefer the gallery/tiled option (Virginia CC) or the regular full-size option (Test Article)? Let me know what you think! Thanks.

Keith,
Congrats on all the golf you have been able to play and all the great destinations!

While both are great, I like the Virginia CC option.

The pictures in the gallery display nicely and the slideshow is very smooth.
 Message #86802 - This was a reply to message #86794
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Friday January 19, 2018 8:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback so far. I am definitely in favor of keeping the tiled/slideshow photo presentation, but I wanted to get some other votes for it. I've always wanted to have more of a pop-up slideshow/gallery rather than having to keep scrolling down. Plus, when I have articles that feature more than one course review (which is often), you won't have to scroll down so far to get to the next part of the story.

The images rotating in the header are actually this year's calendar pictures. The plan is to change them out next year to the new set of 12, so that helps keep the site a little fresher from year to year.

By the way, the official domain finally transferred this morning, but they warned me it may be spotty for the next 72 hours. There may be times when neither link will work, so bear with me during the transition.

[[Edited by sixpez on Friday January 19, 2018 8:51 AM]]
 Message #86803 - This was a reply to message #86802
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Mt. Shasta Resort

Friday January 19, 2018 1:41 PM
The site seems to be humming along well now and can be accessed at the normal old link:

http://bogeysacrossamerica.com

I'm so happy with it, especially now that the internal links work correctly. That was such a nightmare on the old site, so everything about this one runs so much smoother. Should keep me inspired to play lots of golf this year!

I just completed all the Regional Rankings pages for California, so rest of regions should be done by later today or tomorrow and then the new site is fully ready to rock!

If anyone notices any broken links or issues, please let me know. I always appreciate the help and feedback.
 Message #86804 - This was a reply to message #86803
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Friday January 19, 2018 4:03 PM
Love the new site Keith! Keep up the good work. You wouldn't believe how often I send people to your site after referring to Bogeys Across America as "the site where my buddy reviews and ranks golf courses by regions". You have more than a few new fans in San Diego!
 Message #86807 - This was a reply to message #86804

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]