Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Golf Gear -- Rangefinder (GPS vs. Laser)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Golf Gear -- Rangefinder (GPS vs. Laser)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
jciapa02
Golf Gear -- Rangefinder (GPS vs. Laser)

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 9, 2018 3:31 PM
This is such a preference-based topic but as I'm beginning to realize my 'guestimations' for yardages are starting to cost me those few strokes to break par, I am shopping for some GPS unit or laser rangefinder. My question isn't so much narrowed down to a certain model (though I am closing in on a Garmin G10 or a Nikon rangefinder for reference) more so what have people played with and liked more?

Do you prefer a rangefinder you can point and shoot and whatever do determine distance or would you prefer a GPS unit that has over thousands of preloaded courses at your disposal? What's the difference in utilization that made people who once used a GPS to switch to a laser rangefinder (and possibly vice versa)?

Thanks ahead of time for ANY responses.
 Message #87024
faxgolf89
RE: Golf Gear -- Rangefinder (GPS vs. Laser)

Favorite Golfer:
    rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    still looking

Friday February 9, 2018 4:33 PM
I use both.
A GPS watch is useful because the information is always right there. It's also useful to gauge distance to the green when you can't shoot the green/flag from where you are.
A laser rangefinder is more precise, which is especially useful when you're using your scoring clubs. It's also useful to shoot certain landmarks such as the 100 yard stake if you want to lay up on a par 5 for instance.
 Message #87025 - This was a reply to message #87024
robule
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday February 9, 2018 11:01 PM
GPS is only as good as the location it 'says' you are standing. I had one today that was 25 yards off from where I was actually standing.

GPS good for general info, rangefinder better for precision.
 Message #87035 - This was a reply to message #87025
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday February 10, 2018 12:02 AM
I have both a GPS and laser rangefinder and use both on most rounds. GPS vary by the amount of information they give. Do they give you distances to the hazards being a big one. Mine is a watch style and only gives me the distance to the front, middle and back of the green. It's easy to use, walk to the ball, look at the distance and play. More often than not it's good enough.

Other times especially if I want to pin hunt, knowing the distance is important, even more so if the pin is protected by a bunker or water. In all honesty I am not the good at controlling distance, but knowing the yardage to a spot or over a carry allows me to to feel the shot.

My opinion is the two are not mutually exclusive. I use my GPS a lot more than my rangefinder, but when you absolutely need to know distances to make the right shot or club selection, nothing works like the range finder.
 Message #87036 - This was a reply to message #87035
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    classic club

Saturday February 10, 2018 8:27 AM
I have both but use my GPS most all the time. All I need is front back and middle of the green numbers.I just look and choose my club.Too much fiddle time with the range finder.
 Message #87037 - This was a reply to message #87024
jciapa02

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

Saturday February 10, 2018 10:59 AM
QUOTED  A laser rangefinder is more precise

I've bummed one off a good buddy of mine when we play often during the summer and they are very precise but to your experience what's your room for error of differences in yardages from GPS to laser? +/- more than 5 yards or negligible?

QUOTED  I had one today that was 25 yards off from where I was actually standing

Yikes, was that regular or seemed to be a freak accident? In a moment like that was it close yardage to where you could tell from common sense it wasn't 200 yards and rather 175 or no?

And P.S . . .what GPS was that so I'll stay farrrrrr away from it!!
 Message #87038 - This was a reply to message #87025
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Saturday February 10, 2018 12:09 PM
For me consider flexibility.

A Rangefinder can allow you to:
1. scope a target from anywhere on the course.
2. multi-purpose you can scope targets on the golf range too.
3. No need for Cell Coverage to triangulate position.
4. If golf course not in database, works anyways. Point to Point.
5. Sometimes hard to target spot but you can adjust if you pick another position or target.
6. Always carry a spare battery.

A GPS
1. Variance of GPS is anywhere from 3-10 yards depending upon the number of Cell Sites you can use to triangulate your position.
2. GPS doesn't always work everywhere. (Think back nine CrossCreek). No Cell coverage no GPS.
3. Cannot work on golf range only on registered golf course with distances. So course must be in database in order to work.
4. USB chargeable.

For me, a rangefinder offers a lot of flexibility. However find a range finder that can easily target a spot. The more expensive ones typically work best in low light and for smaller targets. Always go for a range finder that lets in a lot of light. Dark targets are hard to see so the more light in low light situations the better. Oh yeah resolution should be 10X or BETTER. 5X is too small and hard to focus especially for distances longer that 150 yards.

Good Luck.

Me? I have a cheapie Cool Shot from Nikon. Cost me $150 (approximately - on sale 2 years ago) Easy to focus but problems in low light. I really like the Leopold and some of the Bushnell (prefer the Leopold) BUT spending $300+ well that cuts into my golf fund LOL.. and that AIN'T gonna happen.

OH yeah get a case/unit that is NOT BLACK. Black is the color of the golf carts' interior shelves.... it camouflages the finder. Want to loose one like me real quick? Get one of those.. Oh yeah the Cool Shot I have is white LMAO!!!

[[Edited by ringworld on Saturday February 10, 2018 12:11 PM]]
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #87039 - This was a reply to message #87038
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Saturday February 10, 2018 12:17 PM
One last thing if you do go the Range Finder route, take a page from LOTR. If you ride a cart, do not place your rangefinder in the basket of the cart OR in the trays provided.

INSTEAD keep it in your bag. You use it, take it out of your bag; use it, and when done, put it back in the bag. You do that, you will never leave your range finder behind. Not as easy as it sounds.

Learned that from him playing a GKMatch Play and I was kicking myself at how practical that little bit was. I can't afford to continually replace my equipment because I leave it behind somewhere. So for me best practices are what rule the day and keeping my stuff where I know I can find them is key.

Good Luck!!!!
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #87040 - This was a reply to message #87039
jciapa02

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

Saturday February 10, 2018 4:26 PM
QUOTED  consider flexibility.

This is what I'm finding in the search for the right utensil. However much like you also said...

QUOTED  some of the Bushnell (prefer the Leopold) BUT spending $300+ well that cuts into my golf fund LOL.. and that AIN'T gonna happen.

that's my biggest pet peeve. The prices seem so outrageous so I'm looking for one that'll get the job done but is reliable. My buddy put a sleeve on his Bushnell (that or it came with it) and it definitely helps from losing it, somehow though he's had to replace his expensive rangefinder twice because...first time he left it on a green and noticed it two holes later, went back and SOMEBODY had taken it and kept it for good. Second time somebody else stole it from his bag. So it's definitely an investment and I want to make sure its the right model AND not losable, LMAO!!
 Message #87045 - This was a reply to message #87040
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Saturday February 10, 2018 4:50 PM
I use both since I was given a Laser for my birthday and I use the GPS app to track my scores.

All the benefits everyone listed earlier, just add I use my GPS to measure my shots and for those distances too far for the laser, such as 2nd shots on long par 5s to get an idea of where I want to hit to.

When it comes to losing it, I was borderline paranoid/OCD. I've gone to check my bag for it after getting home, thinking I forgot to put it away. Last month, I bought a Monument Golf "Click It" wrap for it ($25), in neon green. No more paranoia and I click it to the post right in front of me.

Message #87046 - This was a reply to message #87045

Listing 1 to 10 of 15 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]