oceangrub
Scotland in late May

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bandon Trails

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday March 3, 2018 7:25 PM
I am headed to Scotland (East Lothian area) in late May. My son is playing in the US Kids European Championship, so the main purpose of my visit is to caddy for him. But I hope to play a few rounds during the trip, and could use some advice. He is playing at Glen Golf Course in North Berwick, so we will for sure be playing one practice round there. I figure I'll have a few afternoons to play other courses, probably by myself or with my son (12 years old, pretty good player but max drive is about 200 yards). Any suggestions on which courses to play near North Berwick? We are already breaking the bank going on this trip, so I am not willing to drop $200+ for a round of golf. Will I/we have any trouble getting out if we just show up as a single or twosome in the late afternoon? Is making a tee time a must? If so, how far out in advance should we do that?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

-Mark
 Message #87343
grantar2
RE: Scotland in late May
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Saturday March 3, 2018 11:03 PM
Do as many distillery tours as you can. Many allow you to buy product (especially single malt) that can only be purchased at the distillery, don't miss the opportunity.
 Message #87346 - This was a reply to message #87343
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Wednesday March 7, 2018 7:59 AM
QUOTED  Do as many distillery tours as you can. Many allow you to buy product (especially single malt) that can only be purchased at the distillery, don't miss the opportunity.

I like how you think!

Sorry, oceangrub, I don't know anything about golfing in Scotland.
QUOTED  Any suggestions on which courses to play near North Berwick? We are already breaking the bank going on this trip, so I am not willing to drop $200+ for a round of golf.

A Google search gave me this map and a list of courses with websites:

https://www.google.com/search?q=golf+courses+near+east+lothian&npsic=0&rflfq=1&rlha=0&rllag=56028324,-2660596,10525&tbm=lcl&ved=0ahUKEwj2md2XydrZAhXhhlQKHSnTCIEQtgMIKQ&tbs=lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:2&rldoc=1#rlfi=hd:;si:;mv:!1m3!1d77080.97811550077!2d-2.8295369044809604!3d55.99206504495966!3m2!1i1500!2i829!4f13.1

There are a lot of courses to choose from.

I would assume that any advanced booking will be more or you will have to pay a tour operator. It might be best to contact those courses that you are interested in directly.

Good luck; it sounds like a trip of a lifetime. Remember, you can't take it with you. "You'll never see a hearse with a trailer hitch!"
 Message #87405 - This was a reply to message #87346
140ver

Favorite Golfer:
    angel cabrera
Favorite Golf Course:
    trump scotland-GC only

Wednesday March 7, 2018 1:12 PM
Mark, my best advice is buy a used copy of Golf in Scotland off Amazon. He does a great job of describing courses with a slant toward affordability, also places to stay and eat. You're playing with your son, so you can go to the nearest sheep field and have a great time; don't have to spend too much. I went in April and didn't go to East Lothian, but my experience was unless it's a name you'd heard of, you won't have any trouble getting on. That said, if you call ahead and speak to the secretary, their hospitality will astound you.
 Message #87408 - This was a reply to message #87343
RDDenn

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Wednesday March 7, 2018 3:40 PM
I loved North Berwick, what appears to be called the West course. It is on the other side of the village from where your son is playing and plays along the coast the entire way. We were on a package so I do not know the individual cost for the course. If it fits within your budget, it has the benefits of proximity, beauty, and interest (the Redan hole, the Roman wall, the very drivable 18th, and the hole with the fricking wall between the green and the fairway). Muirfield is also around the corner. I liked the course but they are restrictive (I think outside play was only allowed Tuesdays and Thursdays) and I would be very surprised if it was less than $200.
 Message #87409 - This was a reply to message #87343
oceangrub

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bandon Trails

Thursday March 8, 2018 8:40 PM
Thanks all for your help. I hadn’t thought about the distillery tours, will try to work that in.
 Message #87418 - This was a reply to message #87409

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]