Got my 4th putter in 30 years...
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday March 5, 2018 8:37 PM
I haven't bought a putter since about 1994. I've been playing a Ray Cook Classic II that I pulled out of a trash can on a since closed Par 3 course in Huntington Beach, circa 1991.

So my friend had this putter and asked if I wanted it for $100. A relative was selling it and I thought the price was right!

Message #87370
grantar2
RE: Got my 4th putter in 30 years...

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday March 5, 2018 8:54 PM
If it rolls for you it's great. Can't beat the price.

Which leads me to a question, Ping, Scotty, or Odyssey?
 Message #87371 - This was a reply to message #87370
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday March 5, 2018 10:12 PM
If my Ping Anser 2 hadn't been stolen along with my car in the mid-'90s, I suspect I'd still be using it. Since then, I've had a Cleveland mallet, a fleeting affair with a Wilson 8813 and my latest putter, an Odyssey mallet, which I've had probably two or three years now.
 Message #87372 - This was a reply to message #87371
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Monday March 5, 2018 10:24 PM
QUOTED  If my Ping Anser 2 hadn't been stolen along with my car in the mid-'90s, I suspect I'd still be using it. Since then, I've had a Cleveland mallet, a fleeting affair with a Wilson 8813 and my latest putter, an Odyssey mallet, which I've had probably two or three years now.

One of the guys at the muni was laughing that the ghost of Ray Cook would haunt me after using that putter for 20 years. LOL

Trading in for a new model.
 Message #87374 - This was a reply to message #87372
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Monday March 5, 2018 10:36 PM
I'm yet to be convinced that the putting implement matters more than the actions of the person wielding it.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #87376 - This was a reply to message #87374
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Tuesday March 6, 2018 5:11 AM
I believe a putter (golfer) can be hot or cold and have 2 putters that I switch out, IMHO when you go to a new putter your focus is really good and you generally putt well, the longer you use that putter (at least me) I get lackadaisical and I loose focus so I switch to my other one and get my focus back, they are similar but different, I have also come to understand that for some ( me and my friend ) i really need the proper lines on the head to help me line it up, I tried the taylormade spider and while I liked the contact, without the lines I had issues I now use the o ring #7 and really like it, I personally can not use a blade, half mallet is for me, good luck with it.
 Message #87378 - This was a reply to message #87376
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday March 6, 2018 8:14 AM
After retiring a wooden head Stan Thompson (in the mid 80's approx) mallet. It's been a Ping Anser 2i for me. Reshafted once at the factory and now with a super stroke oversized grip.

Have many in the collection. Using a vintage or strange style putter on the practice green can help me focus on the course when things go awry. For serious play it's the ping. I've tried others of the same swing weight but never for long.

The TM spider feels sweet that Jason Day and many others use on tour, but parting with $250+ can't justify that.

Most recent in the collection an AP18 Arnold Palmer signature. If I'm ever at a flea market, yard sale, or thrift store I peruse the used clubs for any putter with a pros signature.

Yikes almost 30+ years with the same flat stick.
 Message #87379 - This was a reply to message #87378
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

Tuesday March 6, 2018 8:50 AM
I have been using the same Arnold Palmer personal putter since high school. Given I am into my 70's now, that should tell you I have missed a lot of putts with that stick. No technology - tiny sweet spot - unforgiving, but I previously mentioned by dconnally, " I'm yet to be convinced that the putting implement matters more than the actions of the person wielding it"

I know that also applies to the other 13 clubs in the bag, but those seem to enjoy a much shorter life span in my bag ?
 Message #87380 - This was a reply to message #87379
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday March 6, 2018 9:46 AM
On a fundamental level, putting basically comes down to green reading, line and speed.

I recently got to play Sherwood Country Club with a group caddy. Based on their games and stated handicaps, I would guess that the 3 guys I was paired up with were high 70's to low 80's, mid to high 80's and above 90 golfers on an average day. Our groups caddy had an excellent grasp of the greens there. He read every putt for our 4some and made suggestions on line and speed.

In playing with different golfers, many times it is not obvious why they miss a putt badly. Was it just poor execution or was their read way off? In this case, the green reading aspect was even for the entire 4some that round unless they chose not to implement his reads. Therefore, it then came down to everyone executing the read and speed suggested by the caddy.

What that round illustrated perfectly is that the best read in the world is immaterial if you do not have a stroke that is repeatable and consistent, especially on a tough putting course. The amount of putts in our group that were 10' to 15' short, long or offline that round was incredible. I loved those greens, they were firm, smooth and consistent and I had (for me) a very good putting day. However, I do not think my playing partners assessment of the Sherwood greens would be the same. I was the only one putting out on every hole. I would guess the amount of 3+ putts among my playing partners combined that day would have been north of two dozen had they not been picking up many 3-4' putts with break and counting them as good. The greens got in their heads early in the round and it was over for them mentally.

QUOTED  I'm yet to be convinced that the putting implement matters more than the actions of the person wielding it.

On the most basic level, I agree David. A PGA Tour quality putter is going to putt better than most of us if they were using a beat up putter that is warped from their local putt/putt course. However, putting is so much touch, feel and confidence. If the person using the new putter feels more comfortable and is more confident with it, they are likely to get better results.

I like to tilt my hands back before I make the actual putting stroke, kind of a backward press. It was tested with a sensor on my putter during a club fitting and the feedback showed I was adding loft to my putts because of this. It was suggested that I get a putter with 2 degrees less loft than standard. The thought was that the putts would roll smoother more quickly off the putter face with my particular putting stroke if the putter had less loft.

I have tracked every round played in Scoretracker for over a decade now. Scoretracker will only let me go back 5 calendar years to analyze the results for a given time period. Therefore, I can break things down from 1/1/13 to present.

Putting stats with my old Ping Anser putter on 397 rounds played on well over 100 courses from 1/1/13 to 6/24/16:
1.79 putts per hole, 2.08 putts per GIR, 32.22 putts per round.

Putting stats with my new Ping Anser putter on 199 rounds played on over 70 different courses from 6/25/16 to present:
1.74 putts per hole, 2.00 putts per GIR, 31.37 putts per round.

I play all around, so it's not like I play the same course round after round and just know the greens like the back of my hand.

The biggest difference? Dropping .08 on putts per GIR is huge, that is roughly 1/2 stroke per round I have dropped off my score by 3 putting much less frequently than I used to. Lag putting has improved tremendously. Getting the ball running smoother consistently by having a putter that is better suited to my particular stroke has assisted in that.

Overall, my putting stats have improved almost 1 stroke per round with the new putter. Therefore, I have to conclude that the new putter has made a difference, at least for me. Tough to argue with the results.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Tuesday March 6, 2018 5:14 PM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87383 - This was a reply to message #87376
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Tuesday March 6, 2018 1:23 PM
QUOTED  I'm yet to be convinced that the putting implement matters more than the actions of the person wielding it.

Disagree...

While putting a $500.00 Scotty Cameron in the hands of a 36-handicapper won't magically turn him into Ben Crenshaw on the putting green, having the right putter will most certainly have a positive affect on your game. First of all, too many people grab something where the specs...length, lie angle, weight, etc...prevent them from getting in the proper set-up/address position, which makes consistent contact-and-roll a crap shoot. It's like attempting to play with a 48" driver: you can make a few adjustments in your stance in order to get the club on the ball but how many of those strikes are going to be in the center of the club face and find the middle of the fairway?

And marrying the type of putter...face-balanced or toe hang...to your swing arc is also critical to getting on the right track. There may be exceptions, but it's better to use a face-balanced putter if you have a straight-back-and-through arc while employing one with a certain degree of toe-hang if you swing the putter head on a more pronounced inside arc.

I switched to a Ltd. Edition Japanese Spider model quite a few years ago after putting exclusively with Tad Moore blades and haven't looked back. Although I always considered myself a good putter, the consistency I was able to breed with the Spider made me that much better. While the feel and feedback of the Tad Moores is in a world of its' own, I find it next to impossible to produce the same results, even when just giving them the occasional test-run on the living room carpet.

Regardless of which model I might fool around with...and I have four to choose from...center-face contact is nowhere near as consistent as with the Spider and the club head feels like it's wandering all over the place when I take it back. That tells me right there that the Spider is the correct choice; it eliminates any manipulation of the putting stroke on my part, thus paving the way for me to concentrate on the line and speed, which is where I want my focus to be.

The moral of the story? Get properly fit...it's the club you use more than any other in the bag. You may be in for a surprise when you find out you're now able to make a more consistent stroke and, ultimately, hole more putts.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Tuesday March 6, 2018 1:34 PM]]
 Message #87388 - This was a reply to message #87376

Listing 1 to 10 of 20 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]