Tricks for cheap (affordable) golf
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday April 25, 2018 6:25 PM
I like to play as often as my body will allow, and well I like a challenging course, I can be completely content with playing just about any well maintained 9 hole or 18 hole course. The less a course costs the more I can play. I have traditionally played very early mornings, recently during the cold spell I was playing early afternoons, but I have decided to blend money saving with mild weather and play twilight.

One of my favorite tracks in my 18 hole home course at Casa del Sol, at twilight it's hard to beat $5 for 18 holes with cart and drink (3pm tee time). Yes late in the day play will be slow, the course will be full, but even if the round goes four hours we will be done before sunset. Gives me a chance to hit the range at Lake Forest Golf & Practice Center, and use my free (included) bucket of balls before heading over to Casa del Sol.

I think this will leave me more funds available for GK Coupon courses, GK Plays, and Underpar.com offers.

Anyone else have money saving, times, tricks, etc.
 Message #87990
evildrummerhb
RE: Tricks for cheap (affordable) golf

Favorite Golfer:
    Hunter, Phil, Freddie C.
Favorite Golf Course:
    Emerald Canyon

Wednesday April 25, 2018 7:48 PM
Weekday twilight is the best option, along with walking instead of riding if that's possible (most courses charge less to walk).

My local course similar to Casta del Sol is Birch Hills in Brea. They don't have a $5 with cart deal, but walking in the afternoon is still very reasonably priced.
 Message #87991 - This was a reply to message #87990
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday April 25, 2018 8:43 PM
Itslikeimsayin posted some great advice in another thread on how to book things cheaply through some of the tee time 3rd party companies if you are willing/able to be onsite (in the parking lot and ready to play) and book right before the tee time disappears.

When booking with tee time resellers in general, you will pay a higher fee the farther in advance you book. Some are more aggressive than others in dropping the tee time's price once it is within 48/24/4 hours of the actual tee time.

Look for discounts and coupons when using Teeoff.com, Golf Now etc. Sign up for their e-mail list to make sure you get them and also search online for them.

The 2 x 1 deals are great with Golf Moose, Underpar etc. IF you have a reliable partner in crime.

Same for the play 18 + replay or the play all day deals that are sometimes available in the "off" season. Some are for a single player, many require a partner. If you are willing/able to play 36 or even 54 holes same day, the cost per round can be phenomenal on some of these deals.

And ALWAYS look on the golf courses actual website and see what they are charging and if they are offering any deals. What seems like a "deal" through a reseller may not be any better than you could do on your own, w/o their 3rd party fees.

Twilight or Super Twilight times are usually 25 - 60% less than rack rate, depending on the course.

A few courses offer cheaper tee times for the first 2-3 tee times of the morning, then they go up to rack rate.

Weekdays are usually cheaper than weekends. Exceptions are the desert in prime season where everyday most courses charge the same rate. Also beware of the courses that charge higher fees on Fridays if you have the flexibility to play M-Th. Some courses charge a blended Weekday/Weekend rate on Fridays.

Walking is usually cheaper than riding. However, some deals include a cart, so there is no cost incentive to walk.

Your most affordable deals are generally going to be walking twilight during the week if you have the availability to do so.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #87994 - This was a reply to message #87990
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday April 25, 2018 9:58 PM
Physically walking 9 is fine, I am not up for walking a full size 18 hole course. Playing 36 can be done, but typically my back wont do it, and if it does, I can write off the next day.

I have gotten Golf Now hot deals, but I don't think I have ever seen a coupon from them, and I am on their mailing list. I think I am on just about everyone's mailing list.

I have seen third party vendors for Pebble and Troy but those are beyond my means.

Good ideas.
 Message #87996 - This was a reply to message #87994
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Sunday May 6, 2018 9:20 AM
Underpar.com absolutely crushes it. They must drop a stack of cash on the owners desk to get their discounts. **Golfnow went down the tubes recently after the processing fee its usually a wash. Only benefit now is they have tee times you cant get from the course directly**

Make sure to sign up for every courses email list they give great specials too.

In your response to twilight playing slow. It's not worth playing twilight right when it starts because it plays so slow and you're going to be bumping into the groups in front of you.

Your best bet is to go at 5 when it is wide open with a few holes in front of you. 97% of the time you will get the same holes in and fly.

Here's my secret tip for getting on for cheap if you dont care about playing a full 18.

Most golf shops close at 6 and won't let anyone on. However the cart guys are still there til closing. They are usually underpaid hourly employees who live on tips. If you play the same course frequently what I always do is make friends with them then after the pro shop closes give the cart guy $10 and he'll bring you a cart and let you go out.

Typcially there are 2 - 3 people still on the course I can almost get 18 in in an hour and half usually. That my secret tip.

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Sunday May 6, 2018 9:21 AM]]

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Sunday May 6, 2018 9:21 AM]]

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Sunday May 6, 2018 9:22 AM]]
 Message #88194 - This was a reply to message #87996

Listing 1 to 5 of 5 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]