tomfluz
Nikon vs Bushnell Golf Rangefinder

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 24, 2018 4:53 AM
So I am looking to order a rangefinder, but I can't decide which one. There is the Nikon vs Bushnell

What brand and model do you use and what has been your experience with each. Pro and Cons ... don't hold back.

If I can save some money that would be nice because there is always something that I "NEED".
 Message #88389
Rat-Patrol
RE: Nikon vs Bushnell Golf Rangefinder
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday May 24, 2018 7:11 AM
Leupold.
 Message #88390 - This was a reply to message #88389
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Thursday May 24, 2018 8:36 AM
I've used the Callaway/Nikon for quite awhile now ... got it on ebay for a couple hundred bucks four years ago (it was selling in the shops for just under 3 bills at the time ... not sure which model it is). This poor guy has been dropped, bumped, and bruised and just keeps working, so I'm sold. Most basic range finders are reliable and equivalent so the brand may not be as important if you're looking to save dollars. Just shop around but the best deals would most likely be found on the net. One thing for sure: once you have one you'll have more confidence on the course ... definitely worth the investment.
 Message #88391 - This was a reply to message #88390
tomfluz

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday May 24, 2018 9:06 AM
Which Leupold products do you want to recommend?
 Message #88392 - This was a reply to message #88390
tomfluz

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday May 24, 2018 9:09 AM
Do you have any suggestions Callaway/Nikon specification? I'm a new player. Just need a basic rangefinder to practice. Found some useful info http://www.hsrupdates.com/nikon-vs-bushnell-golf-rangefinder/

[[Edited by tomfluz on Friday May 25, 2018 4:34 PM]]
 Message #88393 - This was a reply to message #88391
BrianH

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday May 24, 2018 10:47 AM
I have the older model Bushnell Tour V3, I think. I have a friend that picked a cheap one up off ebay (don't know the brand, but it isn't very reliable. He has a hard time trying to ping the target, and the distances vary greatly by 15-20 yards what I am getting. I have test mine on the goal post of a football field so know it's accurate.

If you are just getting one to practice and can test on something you know and then adjust based on the results go for it. I would spend the extra few bucks and get something that is reliable though.
 Message #88394 - This was a reply to message #88393
NutNButCup

Favorite Golfer:
    Greg Norman
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Valley

Thursday May 24, 2018 10:49 AM
I have been using a Bushnell Tour V2 for the last 8 or 9 years. Still works perfect. Although Bushnell rangefinders tend to be higher on the cost range. I agree with sngernz in that the net might be your best place for deals. Amazon might be a good place to compare against golf shop prices.
 Message #88395 - This was a reply to message #88393
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Thursday May 24, 2018 12:36 PM
QUOTED  I'm a new player. Just need a basic rangefinder to practice.

Having done some searching myself on this topic over the last year, and bought and returned several models via Amazon, I'd suggest defining the price-point you're trying to hit alongside any desired specs, and evaluate the best options w/features you are interested in at each level. There are some decent options at price-points of $150, <$250, $300 and beyond. If you're primarily looking to scope a flag at the driving range and to understand how far you hit your golf clubs on the course, almost any rangefinder above $100 will work well enough. And, you're less likely to get upset if it gets damaged, falls off the cart, gets lost, etc.

To me, the #1 feature(s) is to get a unit that is fog/water proof and comes with an acceptable warranty so that you can return it if it fails on that front. If you really are looking at this as a long-term item, it does seem that buying a Bushnell or Leupold are the best options, and have great optics, coming in at the high-end $-wise, of course. Costco sometimes has a non-slope Bushnell for $249-279. I think Amazon has an option or two, as well. Definitely keep an eye out for sales/$-off coupons.

Aside from trying out a number of models (including Nikon, Callaway, Leupold, Bushnell) at Roger Dunn and the PGA Superstore, I ended up buying and returning several less expensive options within the 30-day return window on Amazon. The ease of return, etc., was nice, and was not my plan starting out. For myself, I just couldn't justify the expense for the higher-end products at $300+. I have a GPS watch, and with a number of courses offering GPS on their carts, the primary need for me on the course is really to scope the distance to clear/avoid hazards. This has been very helpful, btw...

Finally ended up with a GolfBuddy LR7s that was on sale for $200 last month, $50 off the current pricing at Amazon, and has all the features, including slope adjustment. Works well enough, but other than the novelty, I do question the value of the slope feature overall, not just this unit (a Precision Pro NX7 device w/slope bought on Amazon was particularly worthless). If my original $150 (non-waterproof, non-slope) TecTecTec purchase didn't fog up on the second use on a damp, misty day, I would've been very happy with that unit - hence, my previous advice.

If I didn't stick with the GolfBuddy LR7s, this CaddyTek unit was next on my list to try at $149 via Amazon. Seems to have all that the GolfBuddy does, but another $50 less. They also produce very good push golf carts!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H9VXVT4/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_6_w

Good luck on your search, and hope you find one that suits you/your needs perfectly!
 Message #88396 - This was a reply to message #88393
faxgolf89

Favorite Golfer:
    rory
Favorite Golf Course:
    still looking

Thursday May 24, 2018 1:08 PM
I have a Bushnell V3 (I think) and have tried a few others. The less expensive ones tend to take longer registering the target/distance. This delay can get a little annoying. Also, the visibility of the digital readout has been better with the more expensive models.
 Message #88397 - This was a reply to message #88396
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Thursday May 24, 2018 3:26 PM
You get what you pay for.
 Message #88398 - This was a reply to message #88397