New Drivers
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 18, 2018 9:55 AM
What driver do you have in mind for your next one to be in your bag?

What drivers have you tried so far lately?

What are your Top 2 drivers?

This post was inspired by a new thread started by user: 3-4bravo
JVGA
 Message #88871
mpisarski01
RE: New Drivers

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday July 18, 2018 10:09 AM
I just picked up the Cobra King F8+ about 2 months ago and love it. I tried out every driver and it came down to the Callaway Rouge Sub zero and the F8+. Ultimately I went with the F8+ due to price and not major difference in feel and performance.
 Message #88872 - This was a reply to message #88871
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn Golf Club

Wednesday July 18, 2018 10:15 AM
I was pretty broken up when my old TaylorMade R7 developed a small crack in the face early last year and I was forced to retire it. No worries I thought - I'll upgrade to an SLDR and it'll work even better. Wrong. I had nothing but troubles with that new driver for the last year, so I went to Roger Dunn in Santa Monica and matched up my old R7 from top to bottom (including the exact same shaft), found a used one and traded it in for the new one without having to pay anything, and am once again happy as can be and hitting fairways and added more consistent length with an improving swing and grip. Sometimes the old and comfortable is just the best way to go. It was for me at least in this case.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Wednesday July 18, 2018 10:48 AM]]
 Message #88873 - This was a reply to message #88871
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Wednesday July 18, 2018 3:06 PM
Like many I like to go to the pro shop and hit drivers when they come out. I currently have two drivers a Callaway Razr Hawk Tour, and an Adams Blue, both in 9.5 degrees loft and a senior shaft. I prefer the Callaway most days. Having said that the only driver I have tested that I would spend the $500 plus dollars to replace my pair with is the Ping G400 Max. The improvement in distribution is nothing short of amazing. At the same time over the last five years I have tested offerings from the major manufactures I just haven't been convinced that I gain distance or forgiveness that would lead me to buy yet. For me it was better last year to spend money on a new set of irons and wedges.
 Message #88876 - This was a reply to message #88871
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Wednesday July 18, 2018 4:17 PM
Nobody cares about drivers! We're talking about TIGER!!!
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #88885 - This was a reply to message #88876
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday July 18, 2018 4:44 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By mpisarski01 on 07.18.2018 10:09 AM]
I just picked up the Cobra King F8+ about 2 months ago and love it. I tried out every driver and it came down to the Callaway Rouge Sub zero and the F8+. Ultimately I went with the F8+ due to price and not major difference in feel and performance.

That's good info, mpisarski01. Just curious if you tried them with same shaft? Anyway, great price point!
JVGA
 Message #88887 - This was a reply to message #88872
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday July 18, 2018 4:46 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By dconnally on 07.18.2018 4:17 PM]
Nobody cares about drivers! We're talking about TIGER!!!

LOL get a room with him, I don't care.
JVGA
 Message #88888 - This was a reply to message #88885
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday July 18, 2018 4:55 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By roarksown1 on 07.18.2018 10:15 AM]
I was pretty broken up when my old TaylorMade R7 developed a small crack in the face early last year and I was forced to retire it. No worries I thought - I'll upgrade to an SLDR and it'll work even better. Wrong. I had nothing but troubles with that new driver for the last year, so I went to Roger Dunn in Santa Monica and matched up my old R7 from top to bottom (including the exact same shaft), found a used one and traded it in for the new one without having to pay anything, and am once again happy as can be and hitting fairways and added more consistent length with an improving swing and grip. Sometimes the old and comfortable is just the best way to go. It was for me at least in this case.

[[Edited by roarksown1 on Wednesday July 18, 2018 10:48 AM]]

Glad you found one that fits you again! But that's interesting... I had that happen to my R7 TP about 4 years ago! I loved that driver. In my experience, the 915 D3 came up top from all the test and fitting.
JVGA
 Message #88889 - This was a reply to message #88873
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday July 18, 2018 4:56 PM
'Heard good things about Ping, grantar2.
JVGA
 Message #88890 - This was a reply to message #88876
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Wednesday July 18, 2018 5:32 PM
Still playing the Bridgestone J33 460 with no end in sight. I'll occasionally look at some of the new drivers on the market but I just can't seem to get past the cosmetics; they simply don't appeal to me. Despite the so-called 'benefits' inherent in the design, I'm not a fan of the elongated look from the face to the back of the crown that I see in a lot of models; I don't want to be looking at a horseshoe when I place the club behind the ball. And don't get me started on the contrasting color schemes and busy graphics adorning the top of the club.

I prefer a traditional look and the J33 is all that. In fact, Bridgestone did such a great in job 'hiding' the 460 profile that it actually resembles something in the 430cc range when compared to other 460cc drivers. First and foremost, visual appeal is what matters to me most and, based on what I've seen, I haven't come across anything on the market that checks that box. And of the various models I have sampled, nothing has provided any appreciable jump in distance that would entice me to go all-in on an expensive upgrade.

If I was considering a change, I'd most likely look at another older Bridgestone model, such as a J38 or J40, and invest in a top-grade shaft. Yes, they may not be as forgiving as the current generation of drivers but if it doesn't fit my eye, the experiment ends right there. And the sound and feel has to meet my criteria as well.

Prior to putting the J33 in my bag, I had an R7 TP that I really liked. However, I felt I had better control with the slightly heavier shaft in the J33 so I went ahead and made the change about five years ago. Also preferred the 'muted' sound and feel at impact with the J33; gave me the same sensation as my forged irons.

How attached am I to the J33? I happened to win a Srixon 335 driver at a GK event a couple of years ago and it's still sitting in its' original wrapper. While it is not a bad looking club, the Bridgestone looks smaller in comparison and I just haven't been able to get past that point. Maybe someday...but at this stage of the game it's just not a big deal...or priority.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Wednesday July 18, 2018 5:43 PM]]
 Message #88892 - This was a reply to message #88871

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]