Music on the course
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    goose creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday August 21, 2018 10:35 AM
Over the last couple of years some of the guys in my mens club have been bringing bluetooth speakers and playing music while we play.
I really enjoy this and recently purchased a speaker from Amp Caddy. This is designed specifically for golf with a builtin clamp to attach the speaker to the cart upright.

We have always kept the volume low so as not to bother other golfers and our choice of music (classic rock)seems to acceptable to most everyone. Sorry no country or head banging hard rock in our group.

The only comments we get is when the course gets backed up and people roll up behind us on a tee box is" thats cool What speaker is that"

I have used mine several times when not playing with the club and I always ask my playing partners if they mind the music and have yet to have anyone ask me to not use it.

Now I know that technically it is against the rules of golf but I bet that 99% of the rounds anyone plays are just casual rounds with friends so why not?
 Message #89203
sparky14
RE: Music on the course

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Tuesday August 21, 2018 11:05 AM
In your own group with friends - go for it. As a single that gets joined in with others, I hate having to listen to other people's music. It screws up my timing. You'd be surprised how far away your "low volume" can be heard. Funny thing is, I can play through mowers, cell phones, triple bogey putt screamers. But the music really bothers me. And then I am stuck with "Free Bird" playing in my head for hours and hours.

Now, get off my lawn you stupid kids.
 Message #89205 - This was a reply to message #89203
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Tuesday August 21, 2018 1:54 PM
There was a huge thread that got out of hand recently about music. I am personally a fan as long as the sound can only be heard in the 5-10 feet around your cart.
 Message #89206 - This was a reply to message #89205
lakesatelstinko

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack
Favorite Golf Course:
    oak valley/skylinks

Tuesday August 21, 2018 4:12 PM
Are you going play golf or going to a picnic?
 Message #89207 - This was a reply to message #89203
AndrewZ28

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Tuesday August 21, 2018 6:52 PM
I am 100% a fan of music on the course. Much prefer a little Zeppelin to hearing someone yell about yanking a tee shot or missing a three footer
 Message #89208 - This was a reply to message #89207
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

Tuesday August 21, 2018 9:34 PM
 Message #89211 - This was a reply to message #89208
Itslikeimsayin

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Wednesday August 22, 2018 12:11 AM
During the GK Cup Final in June, I was standing on the 11th fairway at Black Gold, surrounded by nature's beauty and being serenaded by a lone bird perched on a tall bush just to the right of the fairway. Even being immersed in one of the most pressure-packed matches of my life, it was blissful. I'm not sure if others in my group noticed that moment, but I sure wouldn't have preferred hearing "Sweet Home Alabama" for the 50-thousandth time instead.

Which is my long-winded way of saying "Why?" In my everyday life, I have far more opportunities to listen to music than I do to soak in the sights and sounds of nature. I'll always opt for more nature when I'm on the golf course.
 Message #89212 - This was a reply to message #89211
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Wednesday August 22, 2018 8:47 AM
Definitely a 50/50 subject! I stand somewhere in the middle. I can absolutely respect the old-school philosophy of enjoying the game with the soundtrack of nature as the only music one needs. I can also see why some people feel the need to "enhance" the game with some music. Staying somewhat neutral in all this does come with some caveats; keep your music at a volume that only you can enjoy it, keep it in the cart or put on some earbuds, and don't impose your musical tastes to others (there are plenty of people who don't care for [insert genre here]). I think there are ways to not respectfully play either way and not ruin what we all agree is supposed to be a fun and enjoyable game!
 Message #89213 - This was a reply to message #89203
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday August 22, 2018 12:08 PM
QUOTED  In your own group with friends - go for it. As a single that gets joined in with others, I hate having to listen to other people's music. It screws up my timing. You'd be surprised how far away your "low volume" can be heard. Funny thing is, I can play through mowers, cell phones, triple bogey putt screamers. But the music really bothers me. And then I am stuck with "Free Bird" playing in my head for hours and hours.

I feel the exact same way. IMO no place for this on the golf course.
 Message #89215 - This was a reply to message #89203
sr129

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    goose creek

Wednesday August 22, 2018 12:09 PM
Really great to read the varied responses on this subject.
I really like what Mark said about hearing the bird while standing in the fairway. On certain courses this makes a lot of sense. I recently played at Morro Bay and did not even consider playing music. If I were at a course like Diamond Bar it would be a no brainer, anything to drown out the freeway noise.

As far as the volume issue I can say that I have always keep it were if you were more than 10-15 feet from the cart you can't hear it. Never have we rolled up behind anyone about to hit so as not to bother them. I can't think of a time when being on the green and being able to hear the music. I guess it all boils down to etiquette. Some people have none but most golfers are very aware of their surroundings.
 Message #89216 - This was a reply to message #89213

Listing 1 to 10 of 22 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]