Discussions in --- Use This to POST ---
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, Nickesquire, ringworld, weber2323

Forums
Greenskeeper.org
--- Use This to POST ---
Ever Considered Cutting Down Your Driver?
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Ever Considered Cutting Down Your Driver?

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 11 to 19 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
chevelle
RE: Ever Considered Cutting Down Your Driver?

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 9, 2018 2:15 PM
I was using a 45.25" Callaway Fusion driver for the last 18 months, was doing OK with it, longest 238 usually between 204 and 227 leaning towards 218. It had a Graphic Design AD DI R2 shaft which I do like, but I was a little inconsistent as we all are. I just bought the TS2 and it comes standard at 45.5", It was OK at the driving range but nothing special. I cut down an old shaft for the Fusion to play 44.5" and used it Tuesday, While I didn't have anything over 218 yards, I was in the middle of the fairway much more. Today I played Paradise Knolls and used the 44.5" Fusion for the first 9, longest was 215 but hit 5 out of 8 fairways. I switched to the TS2 on the back starting at 14 and didn't miss the last 5 fairways. 3 drivers of 210 and 2 at 222, dead center of the fairway. I also looked at the head of the TS2 driver for the ball mark and it was dead center all 5 shots which means consistent strikes, Knock on wood, LOL the shorter shaft appears to be working. BTW I had the same shaft Graffolly Pro Launch Blue 45A in both drivers set at 10.5. Iwill play 1 or 2 more rounds with the Graffolly before I cut down the GD AD DI R2 shafts. I have a shaft for each driver so I will be able to compare. BTW I am 66 years old and only 5'8" so the shorter driver really makes cense for me.
 Message #89560 - This was a reply to message #89559
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday October 9, 2018 4:49 PM
When I got fitted at Titleist Oceanside, the recommended shaft length was at -1".

Yes, it definitely gave me more control- tighter dispersion.

I also know that choking up on the grip gives the same club length. The difference is that there is nothing to think about whether I should go full length or have I got enough adjustment. During a game, it's a big difference to me. I had about a month wait for the new driver and those were the things that came up. While I probably would have been used to it, I'm glad I have the shorter but a fitted shaft length.
JVGA
 Message #89561 - This was a reply to message #89550
leef2020

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack & Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    Baltusrol

Wednesday October 10, 2018 1:42 AM
Johnny,

In custom-fitting folks for clubs, it has been my experience and is very common (and a key goal of custom fitting) for them to hit the 'sweet spot'/on-center hits much more often (and accordingly, hit the ball farther on average) with a shorter club than with a standard length these days of a 45.5 or 46" driver. This is one of the reasons folks 'hit their 3 wood' better than their driver, finding the extra length just too hard to control, with plenty of mis-hits, and loss of distance.

One thing you may want to think about is to experiment with adding some lead tape to the back of the driver head to get the swing-weight back up closer to the original sw, if need be.

Typically, - 1/2" cut off of a shaft = 3 sw points loss (e.g., if orig sw = D2, resulting club would then be C9). This may not be an issue for you. Usually, if one starts to pull shots left with the shorter club and/or has to 'slow down' their attack towards the ball to keep it in the fairway with the shorter club, then it likely is.

Roughly, 2 grams of lead tape on the club head is needed to raise the swing weight back up by 1 sw point.

The new configuration/set-up may be perfect for you as-is. But, perhaps its worth cutting some lead tape into 1-gram lengths and head to the driving range and try adding one 1-gram strip at a time to the back of the driver, to find the swing-weight for the new length club that then results in an even better/more consistent strike.

BTW - my personal drivers work best at 44 5/8" for my best 'on-center' hits. Average about 75% fairways in regulation. Just wish I could get 30 yards back from 10 years ago!!!

Good Luck!
 Message #89564 - This was a reply to message #89550
scratchman

Favorite Golfer:
    tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Wednesday October 10, 2018 9:39 AM
I tip my driver shaft an inch so my driver is playing shorter... it's more stable for me and I can control it better.
 Message #89566 - This was a reply to message #89550
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday October 10, 2018 9:58 AM
Many good points brought up here.

Johnny mentioned that it tends to change your grip if your really grip down on a club. I have also noticed this, the clubs grip (unless specially built up farther down the shaft to allow accommodate choking down) is much thinner if you choke up 2-3 inches from your normal spot on the club. With me, the thinner grip lower on the club produces a whole new set of challenges with my own strong grip.

More control with a shorter club? In theory, yes. I have noticed that personally, I tend to curve the ball less with my driver when I choke down on the club an inch or more. I also tend to hit a little lower ball flight. My total driver distance on normal ground does not change that much, but my carry is definitely reduced. There is also going to be a trial and error period, because your setup and swing have to adjust for a shorter club.

Sergio is a good example of a player who frequently has at least 2 inches of grip showing above his left hand on many shots.

Had never considered how much the swing wt. would change if you took even a 1/2 inch off your club. Another valid point to consider.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #89569 - This was a reply to message #89566
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Wednesday October 10, 2018 12:45 PM
Ever Considered Cutting Down Your Driver?

Yep, a few times every round, right in half over the knee.

My best drives come when I've choked down an inch or two. I'm looking at getting fitted and interested in the a shorter shaft for the driver. The results have shown I need it.
 Message #89575 - This was a reply to message #89550
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Wednesday October 10, 2018 7:45 PM
I would probably go with getting a properly fitted shaft versus doing some arts and crafts.

Just as there is no uniform stiffness for a Stiff shaft between brands, the effect of say a 1/2 inch to a full inch between various brands will have different effects.

Also shortening the shaft is going to change flex/kick point of the shaft.

Basically a the proper shaft is a multi variable equation between, stiffness, length, weight, width, flex point etc . So changing one portion may throw off the rest of the variables and cause other issues.

I think the industry is understanding the shaft is more important than the head. By all means get your stock driver shaft changed immediately (It's a way for brands to charge more for less. Like cheap inserts in an expensive running shoe)

I had a golf buddy who must have tried 15 different driver head combinations / all the setting on the heads etc. He sprayed it beyond belief.

Then we played with a club fitter once and he gave him a 20 gram heavier shaft then he was using and it instantly fixed all his issues dead straight 30 yards further.
 Message #89588 - This was a reply to message #89575
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill

Thursday October 11, 2018 6:28 AM
How are you guys measuring your driver lengths?
 Message #89591 - This was a reply to message #89550
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Thursday October 11, 2018 8:12 AM
Clublength measurement - Set the club down in a normal playing position. Then put a ruler snug up against the point where the heel of the club contacts the ground. Slide the ruler under the shaft and measure the length at the end of the grip.
 Message #89592 - This was a reply to message #89591

Listing 11 to 19 of 19 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]