jciapa02
South Carolina Golf

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday October 10, 2018 5:41 PM
In the coming weeks, about less than 14 days as I type, I will be making a lifetime trip out to a buddy of mine working at Kiawah Golf Resort to play basically a week full of South Carolina and yes, Kiawah Resort golf. I was wondering a few things as I hype myself up for the trip:

How are the courses back east different than those out west (most notably different from Arizona)?
How great is Kiawah and is it really all that it is cramped up to be?
If you've been to the Charleston scene or that encompassing area, what are your feelings of the community out there (this can be unrelated to golf even if you please)?

I can't personally wait to travel mainly because the only different scene of golf I've played in my short career is San Diego (Balboa Golf Course) and up in the northern of Arizona which provides the only difference of softer breeds of grass.
 Message #89582
Nickesquire
RE: South Carolina Golf
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Thursday October 11, 2018 9:51 AM
A characteristic of beach golf in the Carolina's are the natural sand dunes that are prevalent along the south eastern coast. Most of the land within 50 miles of the Atlantic is very flat and sandy. Unless specifically man made, the natural wind patterns form the dunes.

How will it differ from Arizona golf? Rather than desert scape, with cactus and palm type trees, you are more likely to be surrounded by sand scape, with high native grasses, marshes and pine type trees.

And beware of the water hazards... you will likely encounter some alligators even as far north as Myrtle Beach.

Charleston is a GREAT town to visit. Excellent food. In the historic area downtown, all the houses for several blocks are kept as they were in the Civil War era. Great 5 mile walk along the inlet with tons of historical sites to potentially visit.

Enjoy!
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #89595 - This was a reply to message #89582
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 11, 2018 10:25 AM
You will totally enjoy Kiawah. Great great golf course. Great views. IMO it is everything you read about and maybe more. Played it many times in the 90's when traveling to the area for business. Never had a bad round of golf. Great hospitality from the people (great people) and tremendous restaurants, not only in Charleston, but throughout the area. Very historical (if you like that), great historical homes as well. I see you are visiting a friend. So no doubt he will know many of the other great courses in the area and there are many. Many of the scenes in Badger Vance were filmed here as well. Enjoy. I also hope, as they have had many storms in the area the last several months, that you will find the course in good condition?
 Message #89596 - This was a reply to message #89582
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Thursday October 11, 2018 3:46 PM
The Bermuda rough was brutal in Myrtle Beach at the end of August. Very difficult for this western golfer.

The Myrtle Beach courses were spotty on conditions because of a tough winter we were told. I played four courses and each had a problematic condition although it varied course to course. Played on terrible greens the first day but good fairways and rough, and fantastic greens the next day with spotty fairway and rough. And so it went. Kiawah as a resort course should be better but the weather was problematic for greenskeepers in the area.
 Message #89601 - This was a reply to message #89582
jciapa02

Favorite Golfer:
    Dustin Johnson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

Saturday October 13, 2018 5:01 PM
QUOTED  Charleston is a GREAT town to visit. Excellent food. In the historic area downtown, all the houses for several blocks are kept as they were in the Civil War era. Great 5 mile walk along the inlet with tons of historical sites to potentially visit.

Yeah he knows the area quite well after working at the resort for this summer so he'll definitely know the areas to spot the best times, that'll be a blast!

QUOTED  I also hope, as they have had many storms in the area the last several months, that you will find the course in good condition?

To his knowledge, since he works there, he said the storms haven't touched them nearly as severely as they could've which is an amazing blessing, however the week I'm there it's forecasted to rain AGAIN so hopefully the drainage is top notch. I'm sure it is being a championship tour level course and they built it basically on dunes.

QUOTED  The Bermuda rough was brutal in Myrtle Beach at the end of August. Very difficult for this western golfer.

THIS!! I've heard the rough is probably the toughest thing to adjust to and the way the grass lies as it grows differently, small but not negligible, and I find I might have some problems with my short game and recovery...LOL GREAT!!

Thanks everyone for the responses, from local knowledge and family/friends it seems to be a blast. I'll come back and update whenever I get closer and go for my own two eyes!!
 Message #89618 - This was a reply to message #89596
zgolfinman

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Carlton Oaks, Mt. Woodson

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday October 13, 2018 9:23 PM
I lived in Charleston for 10 years and the comments are correct, great people and golf! Try Bessinger's BBQ on hwy 17 South for great casual local food. Watch out for the gators :-)

[[Edited by zgolfinman on Saturday October 13, 2018 9:25 PM]]
 Message #89619 - This was a reply to message #89618

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]