JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday February 9, 2019 7:17 PM
Hole #11 at Rancho Solano Golf Club in Fairfield, CA is a perfect example for this...

With a long second shot likely over a forced carry on a Par 4 where you can reach the hazard off the tee, do you normally layup safely behind the hazard or risk your tee shot finding the hazard in hopes of a shorter approach shot?

btw - photo is from my round in September, I always enjoy playing both Paradise Valley & Rancho Solano Golf Courses when in the area.

GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90567
Krystal
RE: Hole messes with my head off the tee - JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Saturday February 9, 2019 10:44 PM
Played Rancho Solano when it opened in the early 90's. Haven't been back in many years. Beautiful course. Nice layout. Par-3s have teeth. Par-5s were scoreable. Large greens...well bunkered.

The 11th hole is a "key" hole. If played well, you'd be rewarded with a fine round. It could also cost you your round. You usually find these key holes early on the back nine. Gives a player time to work into the hole. And enough holes to mount a recovery. They're usually considered 'thinker's' course.

11th is protected in the back with bunkers (I think?). It takes the option of blasting over the green & taking H2O outta play. Playing from the green back, I'd decide on what 3-club set would give me the best opportunity to reach the green AND be in a scoreable position. If it's my mid-irons, I'm driver off the box. If it's hybrid-long iron, we're laying. Depending on conditions, I might want to hit a stinger off the box. I'm def setting up shot 2... understanding where I want to take risks.

Okay, so if I'm selecting Driver on 11, I'm hitting driver every chance I get on the front 9. Except, I'm not playing chase the ball. Try to put EVERY tee ball in your fairway. By the time you reach 11, you'll be ready to play another tee ball into a fairway & setting up shot 2. If you're laying on 11, you'll have 3 opportunities to play your long 3 club set on par 5s. Focus on line & distance control. Might want to get in a range practice session & at least hit that shot on the range. Be prepared.

If I remember correctly, the fairway bunker is on the right and long? So for me, I'm a draw of the box & fade/cut my approach. Driver from the tee (lining left side of the bunker). Water's long on the left so I'm carrying alot of it. If the pin is on the left, I'm middle of green. If it's on the right, I'm more aggressive. My #1 objective... negotiating the water

Good luck!
krys
 Message #90569 - This was a reply to message #90567
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Sunday February 10, 2019 6:32 AM
Thanks Krystal - fantastic recollection of the hole and playing strategy!

I can't remember if there is a fairway bunker on that hole but yes the green is well guarded and in particular the back. Which is by design IMO to not allow the blast over as you stated. I have been in a tough spot over that green (not intentionally - a thinned iron shot, actually was a thinned wedge after taking a drop after going in the hazard on approach, oh what joy it was playing that hole that day - LOL).

Here's another pic that I snapped in a visit before.

GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90573 - This was a reply to message #90569
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Sunday February 10, 2019 8:01 AM
For some reason I can't remember hole #11 at Rancho Solano but apparently I managed Par back in September so I must have done something right. For me the two "Mind Games" tee shots are #8 at Maderas and #7 at Spanish Bay. With water right and deep woods (Poison oak & snakes) left, the Tee shot on #8 really forces perfect "shot shape" and aim all at once. You have to decide to aim left/fade right or aim right/draw left and then execute the shot.

#7 at Spanish is a self imposed stressed hole. I have years and 1,000's of rides past this hole on the bike so I always want to make birdie for bragging rights when cruising past it with friends. The fairway in the lay up zone is pinches down big time and with the ocean breeze (or strong headwind most of the times) I don't have the length to carry the gully. I always seem to manage to screw up one shot or the other.

And yeah that is some seriously fantastic recollection and strategy Krys!
 Message #90575 - This was a reply to message #90573
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie, Ricky
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Wednesday February 13, 2019 9:07 AM
A hole that sounds vaguely similar is the 7th at the Navy Destroyer course. The holes messes with me every time. Both the distance and direction of the tee shot needs to be right to set up a good second shot. Over cooking a fade is in the water - a pull makes the second shot very difficult - too long and the fairway narrows (water more likely) and the angle to the pin is worse. Too short and trees block any angle to the green.
 Message #90604 - This was a reply to message #90575
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aviara

Wednesday February 13, 2019 1:53 PM
QUOTED  With a long second shot likely over a forced carry on a Par 4 where you can reach the hazard off the tee, do you normally layup safely behind the hazard or risk your tee shot finding the hazard in hopes of a shorter approach shot?

Would love to say I lay up but don't think I can lie. Another hole that really messed (and I do mean it in the past tense since they closed) was the par 4 7th at Carmel Mountain Ranch Country Club. It was roughly 300 yards from blue tees and had giant boulder/desert feature right in front of the green that normally ate up anyone dumb enough (or cocky enough) to try and fly the green at 285 yards.
 Message #90605 - This was a reply to message #90567

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]