Community Director/Women

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday February 10, 2019 3:31 PM
I was musing about these two courses this weekend so I thought I'd ask the rest of you. What do you perceive as the similarities and differences between these two courses (other than cost)?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #90577
Alex326
RE: Pebble Beach vs Torrey Pines

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday February 11, 2019 5:49 AM
Pebble wins hands down. Torrey is "by" the ocean whereas Pebble is ON the ocean. As the saying goes Pebble is the greatest meeting of Land and Sea. It's comparitable to the ultimate high end sports car (Lamborghini etc). High dollar, top performance and lives up to the hype. There is something magical about Pebble that goes beyond the beauty of the scenery and excellent course conditions.

The best comparison I can relate it to is The nerves on the first hole ( which is a simple hole by golf difficulty standards) is comparitable to being on the start line of a world championship overseas. Excited to be there, uncontrolled adrenaline running through the body, super desire to perform well, and self talks to control the emotions that it's just another bike ride / golf shot.

Playing Pebble is like a wedding. It's a once in a lifetime special day (that for some comes around two or three times) You plan for months leading up to it to get everything right and the excitement doubles every day leading to it. Torrey is like a birthday. Nice day, but it'll come around next year

And with that I'm headed off to her little sister course.
 Message #90578 - This was a reply to message #90577
sbarajasjr
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines

Monday February 11, 2019 6:36 AM
QUOTED  I was musing about these two courses this weekend so I thought I'd ask the rest of you. What do you perceive as the similarities and differences between these two courses (other than cost)?

First off, I will admit I have yet to make my way onto Pebble but I have played Torrey (South in this case for the sake of trying to compare it to Pebble) more than a dozen times. I would say that both have amazing views of the Pacific (Alex is right in that Pebble is on the ocean, while the bluffs/cliffs at Torrey get you close but not nearly as much as Pebble). I will say that on South, you do have a much broader ocean view in that you can look out and see the horizon. Both are highly ranked public courses, even if Torrey is a municipal and Pebble is not. Both have hosted a major, with Pebble hosting an inordinate number more. Both hold a regular PGA Tour event every year. Unfortunately, that may be where the similarities end. There is no special resident's card that can get you on Pebble for as little as $40 like Torrey. Pebble is drenched in golf history, whereas Torrey South has the 2008 U.S. Open playoff as it's lone major memory. Torrey is longer, has the famous rough, and larger undulated greens; Pebble by all accounts can play shorter than it's 7000 yards and has very small but fast greens. The biggest difference may be this: ask 100 golfers which course they would rather play (even independent of green fees) and I believe 95 of them would say Pebble.
 Message #90579 - This was a reply to message #90577
lumpy712

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Nicklaus
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pine Valley, St Andrews

Monday February 11, 2019 9:10 AM
Okay, being from the East Coast and love getting out to Cally each year on vacation, I will personally say that Torrey, in my opinion, is the better of the two.

Being a mid-70s shooter, playing Torrey South from the tips is no joke, where the Pebble Links course is just "okay", the real beast of that circuit, when it comes to playing against par, and I couldn't agree with the local starter who made this statement to me two years ago when I visited, is Spyglass Hills. I asked the starter what highlights Spyglass and he asks me "You ever been to Augusta National? How about Pine Valley"? I said yes to both, and he then says "Spyglass is the those two gems wrapped up into one". He couldn't have been more accurate.

Pebble Links, at the time, the greens fees were $495 and my caddie I gave $120, wasn't worth the $600+ fee paid. I tell people they should go to Pebble Beach for the experience, with scenic views of the Pacific right below you, but don't overlook Spyglass Hills. Pebble has you paying for roughly 7 great holes (6-10, 17 & 18) and the other are simply mediocre.

Totally agree with Alex with his statement "Pebble is like a wedding". Once in a lifetime, and don't have to do it again or it'll cost ya.
 Message #90582 - This was a reply to message #90577
3-4bravo

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Monday February 11, 2019 12:54 PM
Architecturally, Pebble is above and beyond what Torrey has to offer in shot selection off the tee. Pebble has multiple avenues of approach off the tee that offers players risk/reward for better shots into greens by taking on Stillwater Cove or a well placed bunker. Torrey makes you pay by having thick rough and narrow fairways only and for the average golfer you pay a steep price for errant shots.

And while the USGA is making Pebble a shell of its former self by doing the same to it as what has happened to Torrey, it's still the better of the two in my option. If you're on the peninsula and are looking for a challenge and some history just go on over to Pasatiempo.

Just my opinion though. I'm kinda into golden age golf architecture so seeing some historic places that scar their courses in an attempt to protect par hurts my heart. And at the same time seeing these pros go into Erin Hills and Shinnecock and just obliterate the courses wide fairways hurts just the same.
 Message #90583 - This was a reply to message #90582
Kristof

Favorite Golfer:
    Cameron Smith
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lost Farm

Tuesday February 12, 2019 4:24 AM
For one thing I can recall every hole at Pebble and almost every stroke. Torrey is more of a blur mainly because there are so many similar holes, apart from the par 3s whch are all quite good, although nowhere near Pebble's.
Beauty wise no comparison and that is because Pebble is right down at beach and wave level whereas Torrey seems remote from the water. Torrey has some kind of public service buildings around it while Pebble has some pretty nice houses.
Pebble has a few weak holes of course but Torrey has more. And conversely Torrey has a few strong holes but Pebble has more.
I would say there is more strategy at pebble with hazards everywhere while Torrey is a bit one dimensional. Even on pebble's back nine the par 5 14th is tricky from different angles but Torrey only has its rough to create problems on the long par 5s.
Mind you the 13th at Torrey is fantastic. How they get there in 2 is beyond my imagination.
Pebble 8.5 Torrey 7.0
 Message #90589 - This was a reply to message #90583
callykid

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday February 12, 2019 2:21 PM
Torrey is a golf course.

Pebble is a golf experience.
 Message #90593 - This was a reply to message #90589
Krystal

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Tuesday February 12, 2019 9:11 PM
Both are spectacular golf courses.

Torrey's built on a Mesa. Pebble next to a beach. Obvious but important to understand its significance. @ Torrey, beneath native soil is rock. It isn't the best environment to grow grass. My hat's of to Rich McIntosh, Torrey's superintendent. He does a fantastic job there. Torrey's teeth lies in its length. Generally, lengthy courses come with large green complexes. The larger the greens, the more available pin locations. Torrey is a fairly simple course in this respect. It's defense is length & not shot shape. In Tournament play, match play would favor a long hitter

Much of PB is sand based. A much better environment for grass. With its trees, it's more of a 3D course. To score well, you must execute stots. Greens have been redesigned and bunkers reshaped but they're still on the email side requiring strong iron play. PB's strength is its ability to lure premium shots. Risk/reward for sure (typical of any resort course). PB is balanced course. Doesn't favor the draw or fade off the box. Both will find a couple thin flight lines. Pin rotation also balances approach. The fact that PB hosts stroke play and match play events at the international level down to the regional level speaks volumes to the course's range. IMHO

Because PB is a resort course, their guests expects the course to be in immaculate conditions 365 days/year. The PBGL staff make transitional seasons as transparent as possible. I've played PB a Monday after a USOpen. 9" rough ?? completely unplayable. I took a practice swing in the rough & 2 balls came out ?? crazy. Some thought it was THE BEST lol Similarly, there are times in the year the rough must be cut down for overseeding. Easy playing conditions. I guess my point is, expectations are what we see in our heads.

Great question !
krys
 Message #90600 - This was a reply to message #90577

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]