JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday March 29, 2019 11:54 AM
I've got a messed up rib (middle right side) and I'm being stuburn and determined to play through the pain, the problem is I can barely hit the ball solid. Been to the driving range twice, even tried to change my grip from interlock to baseball to see if that helped, just can't square up the clubface correctly and almost all my shots are shanks right. The baseball grip did help my driver. My current interlock grip is a disaster.

When I go online it says costochondritiis takes anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks to heal ... are you serious? - I got to play!

So what can I do to help with the pain, load up on advil before and during my round? Any other suggestions?

Also, do you think I'm going to create a more serious injury trying to push through this?

Lastly I read some time back a few that had rib pain, I think most shut down their golf game until it healed which is smart, but when you did play with the injury, did you modify your swing in anyway that helped? Any suggestions are appreciated.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90957
3-4bravo
RE: Rib Pain - Trying to Play Golf Through It

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Friday March 29, 2019 12:11 PM
I personally think it's best to just shut it down. If you do adjust your swing you may fall into those habits while injured and it could take even longer to get back to normal. In the meantime work on your short game/putting or anything else that doesn't cause too much pain.
 Message #90958 - This was a reply to message #90957
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Friday March 29, 2019 2:14 PM
Just came off an enforced layoff after spraining my left knee. No way to try to transfer weight onto that thing - I was icing/drugging consistently for a month, then finally got a cortisone injection that kicked in about 10 days later enough to let me hit the ball. But still a mostly arm swing with reduced distances while I try to strengthen it. Had to miss the GK Team Match Play!

Altogether 6+ weeks since the sprain until I could play, chomping at the bit the whole time seeing all the reviews on GK and watching the pros. But trying to play on that injury would probably have extended the recovery and maybe resulted in further problems.

Rest up, Johnny, do your taxes and read a good book.

You can still get out and work with the Hot Dog!! LOL

[[Edited by dconnally on Friday March 29, 2019 2:42 PM]]

[[Edited by dconnally on Friday March 29, 2019 2:43 PM]]
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #90960 - This was a reply to message #90958
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday March 29, 2019 2:28 PM
rib: there is no grip change or anything that will make golf not painful, if it's painful. You are going to rotate your torso, so if the ribs are affected by the rotation, the only option is to turn less.

quick and dirty solution: as in, DISCLAIMER: this is fully internet medicine with no evaluation, and you should go to your doctor if pain persists or worsens:

extension.

thoracic ext exercises, foam roll type things: google foam roll extension

or on a gymball, but foam roll is more aggressive.

google mckenzie press ups extension

google thoracic rotation exercises

will be painful. easy in, easy out, work into the pain gently, should not hurt more when you are done, ideally you are loosening up as you do it.

whether you are allowed to golf is pain dependent/function dependent... as in, if you can play, play... if the pain is tolerable, then play. if you can't hit the ball straight or make clean contact, why bother? if you play and it's getting worse, then stop. if you play through pain, and you are not getting better week to week, maybe you should stop until you feel a little better.

ice after activity, and everyday regardless.

if you are a chiropractor kind of guy, go visit him. 2 visits might really jump start the healing. if you aren't feeling progress after 2 visits, and DIY is not working, see a PT.

or just DIY as outlined above.
 Message #90962 - This was a reply to message #90957
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Friday March 29, 2019 4:21 PM
I appreciate all these thoughtfull comments.

Weighing all the pros/cons. Also will consider some light stretching Michael and suggestions.

This weekend I'll take it easy and see how I feel Monday.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #90963 - This was a reply to message #90957
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Friday March 29, 2019 5:26 PM
Lots of good advice on here and Facebook. If you simply can’t handle shutting it down completely (trust me, I get it - especially after dealing with the weather here!), here are my suggestions based on prior injuries and still playing.

Do a LOT of chipping/pitching/putting. Putting only is great for a short time but the feel of actually hitting a ball when chipping/pitching makes a big difference. Try different shots - low runners, high flops and everything in between. None require much force or speed so you’re not likely to make anything worse and you’ll have more options around the geeens in the future.

Go to a range and get a bucket. Take shorter, easy swings to start, then keep the same tempo and see how long you can take it back with limited/no pain. Focus on perfect contact. Find out how far a 50-60% swing goes for each club (I know what you’re thinking but do NOT reach for your Driver!) You may be surprised at the distance you get from an easy swing with great contact. You’ll end up developing more shots to add to your repertoire, especially for unusual conditions or situations (such as “what club do I hit from 95 out when stuck under a tree?”)

If that’s working out, go play BUT move up at least one set of tees (maybe two) - and leave tour Driver at home (3-wood max). You’ll be close enough to the green for your second shots to avoid being frustrated and over swing. Play with your modified distances from the range session(s) in mind. Challenge yourself to see how many greens you can hit only swinging 50-60%. When you miss, use the new shots from your chipping/pitching practice.

And don’t be surprised if you score well (better?) - it can be a very enlightening experience!
 Message #90964 - This was a reply to message #90963
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Friday March 29, 2019 11:21 PM
Sound like you are diagnosing yourself. From personal experience, certain types of rib injuries/displacement can be corrected pretty much immediately by a good chiropractor, so it's definitely worth a try.

If that ends up not being the right fix, then there is probably not going to be an alternative to some treatment and backing off activities that aggravate it.

In the latter case, that may suck, but consider that continuing may eventually irritate it to the point that you are forced to stop for a while. In that case you won't have a choice and it will probably end up being for much longer than if you treat it correctly now.

So listen to what your body is telling you. If it feels a little better in between outings, you might be able to nurse your way through it as long as it trends positively. If your activities of choice have it in a degenerative trend, back off or stop entirely,and respect the injury.

[[Edited by t8fish on Saturday March 30, 2019 10:52 AM]]
 Message #90966 - This was a reply to message #90964
lotrgolfer48

GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Tommy Fleetwood
Favorite Golf Course:
    Chambers Bay

Saturday March 30, 2019 11:53 AM
Rib injuries are not something I care to mess with as they heal. I shut it down for 3 months after pulling a muscle in my ribcage. It was painful to move my arm above my head, let alone swing a golf club.
 Message #90970 - This was a reply to message #90957
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Saturday March 30, 2019 7:56 PM
QUOTED  [Posted By JohnnyGK on 03.29.2019 11:54 AM]

I've got a messed up rib...and determined to play through the pain.

So what can I do to help with the pain...any suggestions?

"Since every pleasure's got an edge of pain,
Pay for your ticket and don't complain."

Bob Dylan
 Message #90973 - This was a reply to message #90957
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Monday April 1, 2019 2:58 PM
Just took a quick lesson from GDR23 on how to make a consistant easy short iron swing. A swing I can apply to most other clubs (not driver). Minor pain but bareable.

I'm going to try playing tomorrow from the forward tees at Rancho San Marcos. If I can hit a short iron, chip, pitch and putt, I can play golf. Hope it goes well. If so I'll keep playing like this as I work my way back up to full swing that is pain free.

I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks so much for your good meaning posts. The GK family is the best.
 Message #90985 - This was a reply to message #90957

Listing 1 to 10 of 20 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]