jciapa02
The Tee's to Play From Etiquette

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday August 3, 2019 2:38 PM
When playing a golf course new or old, with players of ranging skill levels...does everyone have to play from the same set of tees or is it common for people to tee off from different sets of tees?

I ask this question due to a regular topic of discussion in a group I play with, only when a fourth joins my regular playing partners. I drive the ball consistently around the 300 yard mark so the tips are my best suited tee selection. However the other three find more enjoyment from a closer set of tees for well deserved reasons. I'll save my answer for when people respond with their own answers as to not dilute the forum but I'd like to know; is common to play from different sets of tees for the ranging skill levels or must everyone play from the same tees?
 Message #92080
Rat-Patrol
RE: The Tee's to Play From Etiquette
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Saturday August 3, 2019 2:58 PM
I find it effects flow of play a bit, but it certainly is common to play different tees within a group. Playing back to front in order of play is the usual, but doesn't always correlated with honors. I play Torrey Pines and people from out of town often want to play back as far as possible and, at times, get beaten up pretty badly . . . so that can be odd.
 Message #92081 - This was a reply to message #92080
sparky14

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Crenshaw
Favorite Golf Course:
    All except Shorecliffs

Saturday August 3, 2019 3:35 PM
In my younger days I was a back tee player. I don't care a lick about the flow on the tee box, be ready to hit and go hit. What bugs me is paying my green fee but having to hit 3 hybrids and wedges all day.

Now that I am over 55, that is no longer a problem.
 Message #92084 - This was a reply to message #92080
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Saturday August 3, 2019 3:59 PM
I will on a rare occasion move back to the blues if I'm playing with a friend who wants to play them. Otherwise it's white tees for me. Executive courses like Big Bear or Ashwood I will play the blues but not a regular course. It makes no difference to me if someone in the group plays the back tees as long as they are good enough to justify it. I'm still playing the whites!
 Message #92086 - This was a reply to message #92084
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Saturday August 3, 2019 4:29 PM
Yardage about 6123-6432 yards is right for a guy at my tender age of 58.91666. These tee boxes are commonly white, but could be three oaks (At Haggin Oaks) or any other designation of the courses choosing. I can hit the blues or combos on the right day driving the ball, around 6000-6200 suits me fine these days. At a special venue I will purposely load a couple C grade balls in the bag and try to bang it from the back tees on particularly beautiful elevated tee boxes. Given the time and spacing. Photo/video ops.

Today for example, competitive round at Ancil Hoffman our handicap played white tees set up at 6016 Black tees were for ladies of all handicaps at 5413. Had the pleasure of being paired with three ladies. No problem at all playing different tees. In fact I'd say it helped me. I teed off and they drove ahead to their tee. A couple times it was equal. I was able to walk casually to the next box without delay, waiting when one was ready to drive. I'd guess one or two drove past me most holes this day and I certainly found the treeline more often than they did. Very enjoyable day. The second time I have been paired in a three women and myself group in stroke play. Fortunate to be 5/6 against them net but who's keeping score!? lol

Another example Northstar GC in Truckee CA has signs on first tee with handicap range listed for the "most fun" play here. I have to agree that playing it forward at this not the longest course is a wise decision on order to increase the level of enjoyment. Especially if not knowing the layout.

As far as match play I think that the appropriate tee for the handicap level or driving distance will increase the competitiveness of the game. It will take negligible extra time for overall POP and possibly reduce it with the lesser distance player not having to over swing and go for it to stay up with the longer hitter. The stroke differential may change one or two depending on handicaps but it will work out favorable to the overall match IMO.

It's still drive for show and putt for dough as far as I'm concerned.

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Monday August 5, 2019 7:14 AM]]
 Message #92089 - This was a reply to message #92086
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Saturday August 3, 2019 4:44 PM
First of all, saying "white is right" can get you in a lot of trouble these days, and I'm not talking about golf trouble.

None of the responses above give much or any value to the social aspect of the game - if you are out with a regular group, are you frequently playing different tees than others? Does this contribute to the reasons you went out to play with them in the first place?

Johnny had us out to a GK thing at Indian Wells GR a few years ago, and I was in the group with him, rgm2525, and lotrgolfer (!!!) - I started out one box forward of them, but on some holes I was standing around (alone) 50 yards ahead while they hit off the tee. This was very awkward and I wound up moving back to play with them on the back nine, where I got pretty beat up as I was not hitting the ball well. But it was a lot smoother from a group dynamic and more enjoyable to be in the discussion flow.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #92090 - This was a reply to message #92089
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday August 4, 2019 6:33 PM
Today was an interesting example of what we are talking about here. Played Tukwet Canyon the Legends course. Pulled up to the first tee and checked in. He said there was a 2some that was supposed to join us. 2 gentlemen a bit younger than us pulled up. Chris asked what tees they were playing and they said "The blues." Then asked what tees we were playing. I said I was playing the whites today and they decided to move up and join me. One of them also named Chris could have easily played the blue tees and done well. His friend not so much. The blues would have been too much for him and so the pace of play was helped as well as the social aspect. Both were very nice guys and made the day all the more enjoyable. I still struggle with my driver so am just hitting 3 wood off the tee so playing the blues was out of the question for me.
 Message #92100 - This was a reply to message #92090
jciapa02

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pending

Sunday August 4, 2019 7:16 PM
First off, I appreciate the responses as I played today with the same group today at a busy course and our POP was right on time. Three guys played from the men's forward tees and I played from the tips. Sure, chatter and jokes aside I could easily play three sets of tees up and "enjoy" myself but I'd rather not have my first under par round ever be because I played from 6,200 instead of my usual 6,900.

Conversation flow is interesting because, when I got out they stayed right near my tee box as to not be in front of my ball flight so we all stayed together the whole time if not because of astray drives every once in a while. I'm not sure how other's may handle this situation but I feel if two minutes away from a conversation is a worry...maybe stick with those playing the same tees. But I play golf for the social aspect but primarily to enjoy playing and challenging myself.

Another point of perspective I shared is, if you're a firm believer in following the rules and keeping a handicap/index...why wouldn't you play from the tees that fit YOUR game and not worry about where/how other's play. The game of golf is the player vs. course in the simplest terms, not to be confused with match play but if handicap is to equal the game why wouldn't you select the proper tee boxes to even the playing field.
 Message #92102 - This was a reply to message #92080
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday August 5, 2019 8:52 AM
First, no one should feel "forced" to move back (or up) to a tee they are uncomfortable with just becaue that is where the majority of their group is playing.

Moving back too far? I am sure most think this happens much more often. Like Steve, I rarely play the tips anymore because of declining distance. It flat out would not be fun to be hitting Driver-long iron or Driver-3W into almost every par 4, even with a good drive. Which would be the result if I played some of the tees I did a decade ago.

I have also played with skilled players who may lack length and routinely hit Driver, 3W, wedge and try and one putt for pars on par 4's. And still shoot around 80 playing tees they seemingly have no business playing based on their length. They have adjusted mentally and know on the tee there is no way they will have a birdie putt this hole. I have also played with people who are legit high single digit handicaps from the forward tees who would be hard pressed to break 90 moving back 2 tee boxes because they are totally out of their element. Change their smooth swing to keep up, hit into all kinds of hazards that normally are not in play for them etc.

However, length is only part of the equation. Consistency is the other. Aside from not being able to reach GIR's, the main challenge for a shorter player playing longer tees is when playing a course with forced carries. Every player needs to be playing tees where it would not require their absolute best shot on many holes to just reach a non penalty area. How many courses have about 10 holes with lakes/ravines/grown up grass etc. that you have to navigate from back tees that the forward tees are actually on the other side of? If you cannot consistently get the ball in the air 200+, those courses/tees will absolutely eat you alive and create a POP nightmare.

Several witnessed and many have heard the memorable story of a golfer @ Hunter Ranch some years ago. The player insisted he could carry a lake on a par 5. He "tin cupped" it to the point that he had not only used all his balls, but was using others as well. No one was sure of his score on the hole, but all were in agreement it was 30+.

Moving up too far? When I get matched up with three super seniors who are playing about the 5th or 6th set of tees, I have no interest in playing from tees I could potentially drive several par 4's with a long iron.

So I try look at it from both perspectives. I am a big proponent of everyone playing the tee's that THEY are most comfortable playing. I have played numerous rounds where we had players playing 3 or even 4 different sets of tees. Just not that big of a deal, and MUCH preferrable to having one or more players playing tees completely out of their element. It should be about each player having fun and having the potential of playing to their capabilities... NOT playing where some one else desires them to play.
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92108 - This was a reply to message #92102
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Monday August 5, 2019 9:54 AM
I play as a single a fair amount and there is usually no problem playing different tees. Played recently where I played the blues, the other two men played the whites, and one's wife played the forward tees. Worked well. I have done it in a group of friends also. Played Wilson a couple of years ago and two of us played the blacks and one played the whites. No issue and did not affect the camaraderie. It is just a game after all.
 Message #92110 - This was a reply to message #92080

Listing 1 to 10 of 27 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]