PGA Tour oddities
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 5, 2019 9:13 AM
Last weekend, J.T. Poston became the first PGA Player since Lee Trevino in 1974 to play all 72 holes without a bogey or worse. He had 1 eagle, 20 birdies and 51 pars to record his winning score of -22.

Even more noteworthy is that this was accomplished on a par 70 course. Easier for a pro to record at least one bogey on a course with more par 3/4's than it is on a course with more par 5's.

Webb Simpson shot 65 or better every round (64-65-65-65) and failed to win the tournament? Even on courses the winner is exceeding -25 for four rounds, it is VERY unusual for a guy to record four straight 65 or below rounds. Usually they throw in a 66/67 and some insanely low rounds to reach those numbers.

Anyone know of another example where a PGA event non winner shot four straight rounds of 65 or lower?
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92109
3-4bravo
RE: PGA Tour oddities

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Monday August 5, 2019 12:29 PM
I don't know of anything of that nature, but I enjoy looking up the scores from the Monday Qualifier prior to each PGA Event.

If you're not familiar with Monday Qualifiers, guys that weren't invited or sponsored exempted into the event attempt to play their way into the tournament on Monday. The PGA awards the top 4 from that 18 hole stroke play event an entry spot in the tournament.

This year, if you would have played in every Monday Q event and shot 67-67-67-67-65-68-69-66-69-67-67-68-67-69-69-68-72-68-67-65-66-65-67-68 in that order, you would have made it to exactly zero events. The amount of talent, both old and new, in these events are staggering, and just shows how incredible the level at which these guys are playing at.

Alex Carpenter, a journeyman of the PGA, said it best: "I won 20/44 events I played in college.....but the professional golf world is brutally hard. People think it is glamorous, but you can be the 2,000 best dentist in the world and easily make a great living. Be the 2,000 best golfer in the world and you're on the verge of switching careers. That's the insanity of it, the game is crazy."
 Message #92116 - This was a reply to message #92109
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Monday August 5, 2019 1:59 PM
I used to read Golf Week I think it was called, back in the day when there was no internet. Now we have almost live scoring online even for weekend NCGA events.

The weekly tournament stats and the yearly earnings were included. Tom Kite I think was the first player to reach $1M in yearly earnings. Now that's first place every week!

I studied the numbers of the winners pretty closely and if someone shot in the 60's (69 or lower) all four rounds almost 96% chance they won. Rarely they'd lose to another four round 60's shooter but that would include a low number under 65 in at least one of the four rounds. Four rounds under 65 and not winning is possibly a first or has to be highly unusual.

The Monday Qualifier scores posted by 3-4bravo sheds some light to how good these guys are.
 Message #92118 - This was a reply to message #92116
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday August 5, 2019 3:33 PM
QUOTED  This year, if you would have played in every Monday Q event and shot 67-67-67-67-65-68-69-66-69-67-67-68-67-69-69-68-72-68-67-65-66-65-67-68 in that order, you would have made it to exactly zero events.

Wow, so 4 or more guys beat those scores every Monday? INSANE!
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92121 - This was a reply to message #92116
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday August 5, 2019 3:40 PM
Former So Cal PGA Touring pro Paul Stankowski still holds one of the most remarkable feats ever accomplished IMO. Which can never be repeated unless they changed the qualifying procedure again.

You used to be able to earn a "battlefield promotion" from the mini tour if you won multiple events in a season. He accomplished that 2 weeks before the Masters and earned PGA Tour status.

The next week, in his first event since being promoted, he wins on the PGA Tour. Which qualified him for Augusta the following week.

In a stretch of 8 days, he went from being a pro with only mini tour status to being a member of the PGA Tour and qualifying for the Masters. People don't even accomplish that in their wildest dreams!
 Message #92122 - This was a reply to message #92121
3-4bravo

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Monday August 5, 2019 4:01 PM
QUOTED  Wow, so 4 or more guys beat those scores every Monday? INSANE!

On average, at each Monday Q you'll have a field of 80 to 100 players with total PGA and Euro tour winnings at over 10 million in that field alone.

QUOTED  You used to be able to earn a "battlefield promotion" from the mini tour if you won multiple events in a season. He accomplished that 2 weeks before the Masters and earned PGA Tour status.

This still happens with the Web now Korn Ferry Tour. If you win 3 different tournaments in the Korn Ferry, you automatically earn your PGA card. If not, you have to be in the top 25 earners in the Korn Ferry to earn your card.

QUOTED  In a stretch of 8 days, he went from being a pro with only mini tour status to being a member of the PGA Tour and qualifying for the Masters. People don't even accomplish that in their wildest dreams!

On the topic of Monday Q and the Masters, Corey Conners won the Valero Texas Open after getting in through a 6 person playoff on Monday to the Valero. He shot 66 on Sunday to beat Charlie Hoffman by two and earn a spot at Augusta.

Another good story is that of Nate Lashley, who won the Rocket Mortgage Classic after losing in the Monday Q, getting in as an alternate last minute, and then going on to win the whole thing by 6 strokes. Lashley is best known for losing his mom, dad, and then girlfriend in a plane crash after watching him play golf in Oregon in 2004. At 35, he became a rookie on the PGA and won his first tournament, the Rocket Mortgage, at 36. Winning allowed Lashley to play in The Open Championship and locked up his status for 2 years.
 Message #92126 - This was a reply to message #92121
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Monday August 5, 2019 4:56 PM
QUOTED 
QUOTED  You used to be able to earn a "battlefield promotion" from the mini tour if you won multiple events in a season. He accomplished that 2 weeks before the Masters and earned PGA Tour status.

This still happens with the Web now Korn Ferry Tour. If you win 3 different tournaments in the Korn Ferry, you automatically earn your PGA card.

It was over 20 years ago that this occurred. Was it the Nationwide Tour before it was Web.com? I am pretty sure he was the first, and maybe still the only pro to win on the mini tour one week and the PGA Tour the next.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can you still be otherwise not qualified and be invited to Augusta by winning the Sunday before the Masters starts? I thought the Masters field was now set before the last tournament beforehand, with Top 50 in the world rankings the week before the Masters the last qualifier for those not already qualified?
 Message #92128 - This was a reply to message #92126
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Tuesday August 6, 2019 6:27 AM
Correction it was Curtis Strange first yearly millionaire.
QUOTED  The weekly tournament stats and the yearly earnings were included. Tom Kite I think was the first player to reach $1M in yearly earnings. Now that's first place every week!

ARCHIVES | 1988
Strange Tops $1 Million
By GORDON S. WHITE JR. and SPECIAL TO THE NYT NOV. 15, 1988

Curtis Strange, the United States Open champion, made history today with a magnificent 4-iron shot that stopped 18 inches from the pin at the beautiful 188-yard 17th hole at Pebble Beach.

The resulting tap-in birdie 2 beat Tom Kite on the second hole of a sudden-death playoff in the $5 million Nabisco Championship and made Strange the first man to win $1 million in a single year on the PGA Tour

Strange's victory was worth $360,000 and made him the top money winner for the season, which, in turn, brought him a bonus of $175,000. With that $535,000, the 33-year-old Virginian reached $1,147,644 for the year, a year in which he won four times, three in playoffs.

I think the weekly purses of today are part of the Tiger phenomenon. I think the Masters has changed it's invitation criteria over the years. Really like how they have the kids there for Drive Chip Putt finals.
 Message #92134 - This was a reply to message #92128
3-4bravo

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Tuesday August 6, 2019 6:55 AM
QUOTED  Correct me if I am wrong, but can you still be otherwise not qualified and be invited to Augusta by winning the Sunday before the Masters starts? I thought the Masters field was now set before the last tournament beforehand, with Top 50 in the world rankings the week before the Masters the last qualifier for those not already qualified?

Yes. Conners I believe was ranked outside the top 50 when he won at Valero and was invited because he won. The field isn't necessarily set by name I believe. If I remember correctly, a lot was being said about people on the bubble of the top 50, and I think they were playing Valero to hopefully crack that top 50 and get into Augusta. The field this year was around 87 players, which was the smallest since Tiger won it in 97.
 Message #92135 - This was a reply to message #92128
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Wednesday August 7, 2019 2:01 PM
If you want to hear incredible Monday Q stories and on Twitter, @acaseofthegolf1 is a must follow. All the info on PGATour and KFT quals. Unbelievable to hear of someone shooting a 65 only to end up in a 5 for 2 spots playoff because a 63 and 64 took the other 2.
 Message #92147 - This was a reply to message #92135

Listing 1 to 10 of 11 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]