PGA TOUR Slow Play Issue

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday August 11, 2019 8:15 PM
In light of the escalating controversy regarding slow play on the professional tours...which reached new heights on the men's side with this week's outcry surrounding Bryson DeChambeau...I figured I'd weigh in on it.

It's about time these pros began publicly calling each other out on the slow play issue and DeChambeau has had it coming for quite some time; to be honest, it's been long overdue. I know that on those rare occasions when I happen to tune in a PGA Tour telecast and DeChambeau is showcased, he's absolutely insufferable; the constant calculations and 'processing' of information is ridiculous. Seems like the 'clever' self-serving 'Mad Scientist' moniker/marketing ploy has suddenly turned into a horror film of its' own.

And yet, when responding to his critics, DeChambeau wastes no time in sidestepping the issue by lamenting he's not the only guilty party out there. That may be true, but rather than assume a defensive stance, he would have been better served to take ownership of the problem and admit he needs to change his m.o. At least that would remove him from the conversation, no longer subject him to the 'Slow-Play Poster Child' tag, and place the bulls-eye elsewhere.

It sure would have been interesting to see what might have transpired had one of his playing partners spoken up during the round, similar to what Rory Sabbatini did to Ben Crane a number of years back. Funny, Sabbatini got universally roasted for it since he was never a crowd favorite while Crane was given a pass as he was generally regarded as an 'all-around good guy'.

But things sure have changed since then: current media darling Brooks Koepka now gets applauded for taking a vocal stance vs. guys like J.B. Holmes and DeChambeau while others who are speaking up are also generating positive feedback...and that chorus appears to be growing in size. That, to me, is a sign these guys are fed up.

This blight on the game has been brewing for far too long now and offers further proof that the ruling bodies controlling these events wallow in hypocrisy. We've seen that in numerous instances where they do nothing more than excel at talking out of both sides of their mouths. This most recent incident begs that they step up to the plate and take the required drastic measures without further delay.

And while the TV-viewing audience could be spared this agony if the networks focused on showing more golf shots as opposed to spending the bulk of their time on this endless pre-shot nonsense, the fact of the matter is the live galleries and players themselves have no such respite. How much longer will this be allowed to continue before emotions escalate to an even unhealthier level?

Happy Gilmore vs. Bob Barker anyone?

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Sunday August 11, 2019 8:19 PM]]
 Message #92189
3-4bravo
RE: PGA TOUR Slow Play Issue

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Monday August 12, 2019 8:07 AM
QUOTED  And while the TV-viewing audience could be spared this agony if the networks focused on showing more golf shots as opposed to spending the bulk of their time on this endless pre-shot nonsense, the fact of the matter is the live galleries and players themselves have no such respite. How much longer will this be allowed to continue before emotions escalate to an even unhealthier level?

I completely agree that networks need to clean up their broadcast with nonsense like showing Tiger making a 3 footer for par when they could be showing a guy going for it on a par 5. At the same time, I find it fascinating being able to listen to a golfer and their caddy discuss the different shots they could play from 255 out, and would love to be able to listen in to that conversation from time to time.

I also think the slow play thing has gotten completely out of hand. Bryson's 2 minute video of pre-shot routine for an 8 foot putt should have been penalized, but unfortunately it wasn't. That said, I do believe some shots require that kind of preparation due to their difficulty. I don't necessarily have a problem with a player taking their time--within reason--with a flop shot over a bunker that needs to land in a square foot area in order to get close to the hole and save their par.
 Message #92195 - This was a reply to message #92189
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday August 12, 2019 10:58 AM
I only watch the Majors now. Cannot bother to waste my time on the boring PGA tour regular events. And I cannot waste my time listening to these overpaid prima donna's complain about other golfers slow play. Every single one of them is guilty of it, when it suits them, but they complain, only when it does not?
 Message #92199 - This was a reply to message #92189
zachary

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Tuesday August 13, 2019 1:50 PM
The Sad thing is that this problem is only getting worse.

I was at my sons Junior golf tourney this weekend and the 8-12 year old kids and their parents, are extremely slow, and when confronted and told to move it along, they attack the messenger. My son is in the 15-18 year old group and they moved along with the 3 groups finishing about 45 mins ahead of the next age group down. The younger kids were 4 holes behind. I would love to say this was a result of the difficulty of the course but they could all shoot 120 and still be moving along and keeping their position behind the group in front. This problem will continue unless people start changing their habits and this starts with the young ones and the parents making sure they respect the pace of play. All the kids are waiting until they are up before getting to the ball and executing their practice routine and the parents don't say a word. I don't know why you need to see the other guys shot, unless it is match play; just be ready to go when it is your turn and the problem will be solved. The amount of time some of the routines take is agonizing.

This problem is only going to go away with change at the top and then allowing the junior tourneys to start enforcing the pace of play on the younger kids.
 Message #92211 - This was a reply to message #92189
3-4bravo

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Tuesday August 13, 2019 2:11 PM
QUOTED  This problem is only going to go away with change at the top and then allowing the junior tourneys to start enforcing the pace of play on the younger kids.

Exactly. It amazed me how quick the PGA was to implement and strictly enforce caddies from standing behind their pros when they address the ball, yet are so hesitant to implement anything in regards to slow play.
 Message #92212 - This was a reply to message #92211
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill

Tuesday August 13, 2019 2:39 PM
Has anyone played behind a High school golf team. Its the worst possible $hit show.That goodness they only play 9 holes
 Message #92213 - This was a reply to message #92189
kassper7
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle Wie, Ricky
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry

Tuesday August 13, 2019 2:55 PM
Dear Tour Pro:

You know that time when I saw you at the Marriot and I asked for a picture? Thank you so much for saying "yes". Sorry I didn't have my phone ready and sorry I couldn't get to the camera app for what must have seemed like a long time. I was a little nervous, so composing the picture took a while as well. It seemed like your smile had diminished a little by the time I finally snapped the pic. All in all I can see how it might have been frustrating to stand there waiting for me to get my act together - but in my defense - I went through similar pain 72 times watching you play your round the day before so you still have 71 more fans to put up with until we are tied...
 Message #92214 - This was a reply to message #92213
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Thursday August 15, 2019 7:22 AM
J.B. Holmes first off the tee in Chicago today.

Holy crap, doesn't that slow down the entire field??!! LOL
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #92221 - This was a reply to message #92214

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]