Turtle Bay - Oahu

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday September 25, 2019 8:17 PM
Hi GK’ers.
I’m headed to Turtle Bay with the wife for our 5 year anniversary in two weeks. Was wondering if anyone had any input on the Palmer course versus the Fazio course. According to the maintenance schedule, both courses should be in top form. Palmer is $170 for resort guests, while Fazio is $110 (on a Saturday morning). Is the extra $60 justifiable to play the Palmer course? I’ve read the accolades, so it might be.... wanted to see if anyone had some food for thought. I’m fine with spending the extra dough, as long as it’s worth it.
(I only have time to play once, so a package or replay doesn’t really fit).

I appreciate your insights.

Thanks,
Eric

[[Edited by golferic420 on Wednesday September 25, 2019 8:19 PM]]
 Message #92478
mpisarski01
RE: Turtle Bay - Oahu
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Wednesday September 25, 2019 9:45 PM
Hi Eric, I played both courses when I stayed there a few years back. I enjoyed the Palmer course way more as it's a mixture of tree lined and ocean holes. Funny thing is my profile picture was taken on the Palmer course. You would be mistaken to not play palmer. Fazio is fun but it's not palmer.

[[Edited by mpisarski01 on Thursday September 26, 2019 8:45 AM]]
 Message #92479 - This was a reply to message #92478
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Thursday September 26, 2019 9:06 AM
Haven't played either one, usually in Maui...

Usually a Fazio design is amazing, but when you're going up against The King.

I'd have to go with Arnold too!
 Message #92480 - This was a reply to message #92479
hammer74

Favorite Golfer:
    couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble, Pelican

Thursday September 26, 2019 9:21 AM
hi Eric,

good for you!

Definitely Palmer.

Last time we were there, they offered discounted rates after your first round.

Enjoy!
 Message #92481 - This was a reply to message #92480
golferic420

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Thursday September 26, 2019 11:01 AM
Great. Thanks for the input!
Much appreciated.
-Eric
 Message #92482 - This was a reply to message #92481
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday September 26, 2019 3:38 PM
I like them both because they are done by different designers and both offer their own risks, rewards and great golf. I always make it a point to play both courses when I go. And I usually stay here one/two nights and take the excellent package deals, they usually offer.
 Message #92483 - This was a reply to message #92482
sixpez
SoCal Community Staff

sixpez: sixpez - Golf Normad GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    The Next One

Friday September 27, 2019 1:14 PM
Just called to check on their aeration because they usually punch in late September or October. According to the pro shop, they aerated the greens on both courses the week of 9/8 - 9/11 (a little earlier than normal which is why the GK alert a bit late). Assuming that is accurate, the timing should work out well for you. Always worth asking before you book, though.

Working to finish up the Oahu calls today, so check the GK course pages (or use the handy dandy new iPhone app) for maintenance updates soon. Most courses out there are aerating this time of year. Still, it's always a good idea to ask ahead. Hawaii is always a little tricky and sometimes unpredictable when they punch, so we don't always get a straight answer when we make our calls : )

[[Edited by sixpez on Friday September 27, 2019 1:38 PM]]
 Message #92486 - This was a reply to message #92483
kevbig

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Friday September 27, 2019 8:28 PM
Just a heads up, they usually have some sort of deal to play both courses. When I did it, I played the Fazio first and then the Palmer as it saves you some $$. Not sure if they still have that deal or not though. One thing to keep in mind, although both courses are basically on the ocean, you won't see the water as much as you'd think. Maybe a couple of holes on each course.
 Message #92487 - This was a reply to message #92486
stickboy

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday September 28, 2019 8:56 AM
I only played the Fazio. The reason I didn't fork over the extra cash for the Palmer was the wind. It gets pretty windy over there, so that may be a factor in your ultimate decision. Either way, you can't beat playing golf in paradise. HAVE FUN!
 Message #92489 - This was a reply to message #92487
michaelko
NorCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday October 1, 2019 11:57 AM
fazio seemed like garden variety resort course: nicely groomed, wide fairways, enjoyable... and hey, it's hawaii golf.

palmer is a really really good layout. very interesting and challenging, some mild elevation changes.

here are my reviews from 2014
fazio:
QUOTED Played 9/30, first off, single, 2 1/2 hr rd. Paid $90, with a $35 replay on the Palmer... so $300 worth of golf for $125. Was reluctant to play here. I was staying in Waikiki, so it's an hour drive to the resort, and the online reviews were not great. But for the price, and for the experience of playing a top 100 course (Palmer), I decided to give it a try. So for the Fazio... it's in really good shape. This is the cheaper and the less regarded of the 2. Wide fairways, big greens and bunkers. Slow greens (a fast 9 or slow 10). Resort style golf. Hawaii golf is rarely bad, cuz you always have a great view. #11 par 3 is on the ocean, and #12 tees off right next to it.. those are your ocean holes. Little to no wind. Had a great round. The resort has a $35 replay.. so if you play the Fazio in the AM, you get the $185 Palmer round for $35... but you risk the chance of wind in the PM. You could choose to play the $185 in the AM and $35 Fazio in the PM. I had a good time here.

palmer:
QUOTED Played 9/30, twosome, 4:15 rd. Paid $35 replay rate after playing the Fazio first. so $300 worth of golf for $125. Was reluctant to play here. I was staying in Waikiki, so it's an hour drive to the resort, and the online reviews were not great. But for the price, and for the experience of playing a top 100 course (Palmer), I decided to give it a try. The main complaints online I saw were the conditions of the fairways and bunkers. The fairway criticism was justified. It looks like they are having trouble with the grass. Certainly playable, but it doesn't "look" like a top 100 course, and for the $185 rack rate, I can understand the complaints. The bunkers, I had no problem with... They are playable, big and deep. The greens are big and slow, but true (fast 9, slow 10 on the stimp). The layout is top 100 caliber. Very interesting course lined with foliage which shapes the holes elegantly. Occassional carries to the green. Lucked out with the weather: little to no wind on a sunny warm (humid) day. #17 is an uphill hole with the green on the ocean. That's your ocean view. The rest of the course is inland. Much more fun layout than the Fazio, in fair shape. Definitely worth the $35... full fare would be tough to swallow. But for the opportunity to knock this off my bucket list, I had a great time.
 Message #92508 - This was a reply to message #92489

Listing 1 to 10 of 10 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]