Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in General Golf Discussions
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, ringworld, thingstodo

Forums
Golfing
General Golf Discussions
The Hole-In-One Thread (Post your stories here)
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: The Hole-In-One Thread (Post your stories here)

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 222 Replies

PAGES: 23 1 2 3 4 5
ringworld
The Hole-In-One Thread (Post your stories here)

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday January 12, 2011 5:51 PM
Thanks to GK Member evin722 who gave us this idea!

Congratulations to all you folks who play golf and have been fortunate to make a hole-in-one. For those of you unsure what a Hole-in-one is:

In golf, an ace, or hole in one, is achieved when a player tees off and gets the ball into the hole in one shot, or stroke.

Taken from Ask.com

Question: What Are the Odds of Making a Hole-In-One?

Some people seem to make aces left and right. Other golfers go their whole golfing careers without one. Just how hard is it to make a hole-in-one? Exactly what are the odds? The odds vary, it turns out, depending on who you ask, but we're willing to bet that the odds aren't as long as you might have expected.
Answer: The odds of making a hole-in-one do vary somewhat, depending on the source and the numbers used for calculating the odds. One problem is that nobody knows the true number of aces made every year. There are numerous organizations that track holes-in-one, but not every ace that is made is reported. And, as we all know, not every ace that is reported was actually made!

In 1999, Golf Digest reported, "One insurance company puts a PGA Tour pro's chances at 1 in 3,756 and an amateur's at 1 in 12,750."

That same issue reported that the "odds of an amateur making two holes-in-one in a round are 9,222,500 to 1."

Ireland's National Hole in One Club puts the odds a little lower for one ace: "The estimated odds of acing a hole with any given swing are one in 33,000."

And an article in the magazine Navy Newsstand, citing Sports Illustrated as its source, put the odds at 45,000 to 1 for "scoring a hole-in-one on a typical par-3 golf hole."

What about the insurance companies that sell "hole-in-one insurance" to tournament promoters? They must know the odds, right? One such company, SCA Promotions, says the odds of a golfer holing out from 150 yards is somewhere from 10,000 to 15,000 to 1.

But as close to an official source as exists on this topic is Golf Digest. That publication has provided "acer odds" since the 1950s, and in the year 2000 hired Francis Scheid, Ph.D., the retired chairman of the math department at Boston University, to calculate the odds using the latest and best information available.

The odds Scheid came up with were lower than any others cited above: 5,000 to 1 for a "low-handicapper," 12,000 to 1 for an "average player." If you are a low-handicapper and play 1,000 rounds in your life, according to Scheid, you have a 20-percent chance of recording an ace. If you play 5,000 rounds, your odds are 1:1.

The Golf Digest study provided many great nuggets of information, even breaking the odds down by quality of play:

# Tour player making an ace: 3,000 to 1

# Low-handicapper making an ace: 5,000 to 1

# Average player making an ace: 12,000 to 1

Some other highlights from Scheid's calculations:

# Average player acing a 200-yard hole: 150,000 to 1

# Two players from the same foursome acing the same hole: 17 million to 1

# One player making two holes-in-one in the same round: 67 million to 1

[[Edited by ringworld on Wednesday January 12, 2011 5:52 PM]]
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #34846
evin722
RE: The Hole-In-One Thread (Post your stories here)

Favorite Golfer:
    me
Favorite Golf Course:
    the one im at

Wednesday January 12, 2011 5:56 PM
WOW thanks guys for the nod! I'm going for two in one year!
 Message #34847 - This was a reply to message #34846
ringworld

Community Director

GK Event: Played in a GK Event ringworld-blog: golfing guru ringworld blog

Favorite Golfer:
    Rory Mcilroy he's peachy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spanish Bay Pebble Beach

Wednesday January 12, 2011 6:27 PM
As a precursor to our online What d'you shoot (GK Cyber Clubhouse) we have this thread to thank. Click HERE

Still doesn't qualify as a Hole-In-One but nevertheless a great thread. Post your most ridiculous Hole-out

... And now the nod for those folks who have posted their ACE on our forums.... a listing. Let's keep them coming! (drum roll please!)

Member Pablo 10/25/2005

Buckeye_Nut 3/7/2009 Also Click HERE

richardtrotter 1/20/2008

kviser 1/4/2009

sngernz's cousin's wife 7/7/2010

jsolivio 7/5/2008

Broncosfan 6/10/2007

TheBigDog (sorry can't find it but I do remember)

Nickesquire (yeah I know you're humble Nick lol but I thought I would post it anyways Kudos to you!)

The Hole in One Club

ttucker2 5/25/2008

[[Edited by ringworld on Wednesday January 12, 2011 6:28 PM]]
Work Hard. Play Golf! www.ace-cases.com
Oh yeah, I blog too: www.golfing-guru.com

Know before you go.... golfing with Greenskeeper.org!
 Message #34849 - This was a reply to message #34846
mnehls86

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry, Goose Creek

Wednesday January 12, 2011 6:37 PM
I hope one day I join this club. Doesn't seem like the odds are on my side though. I figure I play enough for it to happen one day
 Message #34851 - This was a reply to message #34849
thingstodo
SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil and Boo Weekly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cypress Ridge

Wednesday January 12, 2011 7:37 PM
Ok great, now that I am a low handicapper, I may only have to wait another 31 years before I knock one in. Maybe I should just play par three courses for the next ten years. Thanks Vic, And I had so much hope....
 Message #34852 - This was a reply to message #34851
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Wednesday January 12, 2011 9:27 PM
Moneysworth has one. The day before our last outing at Monarch Dunes.

http://www.greenskeeper.org/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=84&topicid=3 2559

Thanks to Noel and his beautiful wife, Susie, for the pics!
 Message #34856 - This was a reply to message #34849
TheBigDog
Event Organizer

Favorite Golfer:
    Steve Stricker
Favorite Golf Course:
    Robinson Ranch

Thursday January 13, 2011 8:15 AM
Ring...my ace was on 11/07/2010 and was posted same day in: What d'you shoot November-10 (GK Cyber Clubhouse)

TheBigDog
 Message #34859 - This was a reply to message #34856
PJO

Favorite Golfer:
    McIlroy/Lincicome/Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Journey at Pechanga

Thursday January 13, 2011 8:32 AM
I don't remember the exact date, but it would have been the late '80s I suppose. It was on #18 at Jurupa Hills, a par 3 over water. I'd played terrible that day and was just trying to get out of the way. There were eight of us there in two foursomes and I was in the first group. Because there was a backup on the 18th tee, our second group had caught us and was waiting on the tee with us, so I had extra witnesses. The 18th faces directly in to the sun in the afternoon there. Probably because of that, I remember that I kept my head still just a smidgen longer on that shot and really hit it flush. If I recall correctly, it was about 130 yards and I hit a 9 iron. The ball landed behind the hole and spun back in. I simply fell down on the ground, flopped right on my back as everyone attacked me with congratulations. After we holed out, we waited and watched our second group hit. One of them almost put one in right on top of mine, missing by inches! I don't recall buying drinks because I honestly didn't know that it was customary and no one brought it up, if you can believe it. I'm cheap, but not that cheap . Finally, I'm the only guy I personally know of that has both an ace and a sanctioned 300 game, although mikelgabe in Arizona might also have accomplished that feat, as I know he is a very good bowler also.

Pat.
 Message #34860 - This was a reply to message #34859
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Thursday January 13, 2011 9:00 AM
Did not have any in 10 years and then I had two hole in one's in 9 months in 2006......First one was at Los Robles on hole #2 short par 3 around 157 yds....after making birdie on the 1st hole(which I think is the easiest hole there) I proceeded to hit a toe 9 iron that could not have been more than 3 feet off the ground....lucky for me no traps or water in front of the green...ball hit the pin dead on going 30 mph(lol) and dropped in the hole.

Second one was around 9 months later at Tierra Rejada with my buddy....#14 is a slightly downhill par 3 around 170yds or so that plays alot less...I hit a push just right of the green...initial thoughts were oh crap that's bad...ball hits the bank(hill) just right and long of the green..rolls down the hill and goes in the hole on a middle pin....did not see it but heard the guys parked in their carts going to #15 green yelling...."it went in"....

so both of mine were super lucky.
 Message #34861 - This was a reply to message #34860
seasucks5

Favorite Golfer:
    Freddy
Favorite Golf Course:
    Sahalee

Thursday January 13, 2011 10:04 AM
I got one about 5 years ago at Rustic Canyon. Was playing by myself twilight with a single in front of me. #8 is 128 yards I think, and it was a front right pin so I was trying to hit a hard gap wedge. Caught it a little thin, but it was headed towards the hole. Since it was pretty late the sun was right behind the green and I couldn't see anything. The single I was waiting for to play the hole was walking towards #9 and saw it go in and starting yelling to me. It took me a full minute of walking towards the green to realize what he was saying, and that it actually went in.
 Message #34862 - This was a reply to message #34861

Listing 1 to 10 of 222 Replies

PAGES: 23 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]