"Ready Golf" is stupid
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday October 11, 2014 10:02 PM
I've come to the conclusion we should do away with the concept of "Ready Golf." I feel like the phrase and concept is used more as an excuse to ignore etiquette or to avoid playing when it's your turn than to actually speed up play. Many times recently when playing with strangers I'll be waiting around on a tee, looking at whoever had the low score on the previous hole and waiting for him to tee off, and then he'll look over and say, "Oh, I play ready golf. If you're ready, go ahead." But what he really means is, "Even though it's my turn, I'm not ready yet and I'm going to dilly dally for a while, so why don't you hit out of turn instead." This doesn't speed up play, it slows it down. If you have the honor, get to the tee and hit your shot!

Was the traditional order of play too difficult for people? It's a perfect system: Whoever had the best score on the last hole has the honor, and so on until everyone has hit. Now there's this awkwardness of gauging whether or not people play "ready golf" or if they prefer the traditional order.

I feel "Ready Golf" also allows players to play out of turn elsewhere on the course without realizing it's bad etiquette. It's one thing if a guy is struggling and hasn't reached his ball yet, for another player to go ahead and play to keep things moving. But if I'm in the backswing of a chip (like I was today at Glen Ivy) and suddenly I hear a guy 10 yards in front of me hit his chip (like I did today at Glen Ivy), that's not "ready golf." That's poor etiquette and it's being a jerk.

Sorry I'm feeling kind of ranty but I'm not sure "Ready Golf" has any real benefits. I'm not saying you have to stick to traditionally dictated order of play in all circumstances, but I am saying it's preferable probably 90% of the time and simplifies everything for everyone.

Thoughts?
 Message #66221
CPennbo
RE: "Ready Golf" is stupid

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Saturday October 11, 2014 11:57 PM
Question- do you ALWAYS play honors? Because I'm getting tired of being low score on a hole and not getting to hit first simply because I play the more forward tees. It might be nice to play with someone who wouldn't mine my driving up to the appropriate tees, and then back, before THEY can play. Sure enough I'm getting tired of waiting all the time...... :-)

Some of the points you make are spot on....and some I disagree with. But what I really disagree with is your solution to the problem. The problem isn't really ready golf but a lack of knowledge of etiquette and how to play ready golf. Until courses and players acknowledge that some education has to happen I don't think much will change.
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #66222 - This was a reply to message #66221
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday October 12, 2014 5:47 AM
I'm always ready!
 Message #66224 - This was a reply to message #66222
rudyclub

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

Sunday October 12, 2014 8:23 AM
I'm a huge fan of ready golf and disagree that it doesn't help speed up play. I've never had the problem of anybody waiting for someone else to hit first when playing ready golf. Even on fairway shots. The only small possible exception is making sure I'm not stepping on anyone's birdies??
Ready Golf all the way...
 Message #66225 - This was a reply to message #66224
stickboy

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday October 12, 2014 8:39 AM
There's a difference between "ready golf" and "rude golf" ... and the difference is often situational. For example, many times the player with the lowest score on the previous hole is also the longest hitter. If everyone in the group waits until the group ahead is out of HIS (OR HER) range before before they hit, a lot of time is wasted. Also, its human nature for some players to naturally play very fast, and others to play much more slowly. Ready golf allows groups with fast and slow players to regulate the gaps. These factors don't excuse a player hitting out of turn when it disturbs another player who has honors. The player who hit his chip and distracted Itslikeimsayin was playing "rude golf".
 Message #66226 - This was a reply to message #66224
Bogey1Fogey38

Favorite Golfer:
    Trevino, Lema, Ochoa
Favorite Golf Course:
    Green W/holes n flags

Sunday October 12, 2014 9:44 AM
We have always played "ready golf" before the slogan came around, we only honor birdies or better. Since I'm the short knocker I usually end up being 1st off the tee. Sometimes I will tease my buddies and say "think I will wait until they get to the green", or "are you sure they are out of my range?" - they answer "Go ahead and hit, we will yell FORE", "$5 if you reach the guy in the blue shirt!".

Out on the fairways, since I am the short knocker of course I hit 1st, my partner drops me off at my ball I hit then walk over to his ball. Then whoever is ready hits. Variety of reasons for waiting to hit may be someone is looking for his ball, he has a difficult lie and is trying to decide how to play it. On the green whoever is furthest putts 1st and finishes out unless he will be stepping on someones line.

Does all this speed up play? yes I think for our group dynamics it does. It really irks me when I see people that can't hit more than 200 yds 2nd shot waiting for those on the green to finish out, or two groups gathered around the hitter, then move over to the next hitter, "Playing Golf By Committee".

"While we are young People!"

Keep it in the short stuff!
> > "How can they beat me? I've been struck by lightning, had two back operations, and been divorced twice."
> > Lee Trevino

> > "Golf is like solitaire. When you cheat, you only cheat yourself."
> > Tony Lema
 Message #66227 - This was a reply to message #66226
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday October 12, 2014 10:07 AM
QUOTED  Because I'm getting tired of being low score on a hole and not getting to hit first simply because I play the more forward tees. It might be nice to play with someone who wouldn't mine my driving up to the appropriate tees, and then back, before THEY can play.

This concept makes no sense at all, would only serve to slow things down even more, and comes across as somewhat selfish. So you're playing in a mixed-gender group and post the lowest score on the previous hole...does that make it absolutely necessary for you to then tee off first? Is this a rules issue or your ego speaking? I fail to see where it would have any bearing on your performance unless it was during a competitive event, match play in particular. Adhering to the rules and guidelines established by the USGA is expected during sanctioned tournaments but if it's a casual round of golf then I have no problem with bypassing "idiosyncrasies" like the order of play tenet in order to keep things moving. Additionally, it's often a good idea to allow the shortest hitter in the group to tee off first...provided everyone is playing from the same tee...in order to minimize the amount of time standing around while waiting for the fairway to clear.

As far as "ready golf" is concerned, I've been in situations where that mode of play was adopted on the first tee in order to maintain a free-flowing pace-of-play. I'm not a quick player...I abhor being rushed into hitting a shot I'm not ready to hit...but will do whatever is necessary to keep from being the guy who is holding everyone back. I'm all about following tradition and such but the first-off-the-tee stuff doesn't bother me. However, I firmly believe the pecking order from the fairway should be "farthest away first" in order to avoid the situation Itslikeimsayin alluded to in his post. It boils down to etiquette and courtesy...and having the common sense to realize those two aspects of the game are as integral as the rule book.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Sunday October 12, 2014 10:11 AM]]
 Message #66228 - This was a reply to message #66222
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Sunday October 12, 2014 10:39 AM
QUOTED  This concept makes no sense at all, would only serve to slow things down even more, and comes across as somewhat selfish. So you're playing in a mixed-gender group and post the lowest score on the previous hole...does that make it absolutely necessary for you to then tee off first?

LOL EXACTLY my point. Playing honors can and often does slow down a group. But while we're here I'd like to take the opportunity to encourage you gents to stop sometimes and think about playing order. It's pretty easy to say you don't mind where you play in the order if you are not ALWAYS the LAST one to hit your shot. If the tees are close together, as many are, mix up the order sometimes. :-)

I play ready golf for the most part. I try not to hurry others and I do what I can to speed up my own play. I'm quick off the tee- I set the tee, place my ball, and hit. I'm usually not the longest hitter in the group so if the tees are close and I can walk right up and get to it it just speeds up play. :-)

(As to my tongue in cheek driving up to the tee and back? IF, big IF, the group in front were moving slowly and it looked like I'd have a chance to get to the tee, hit, and get back in good time - I'd do it, and have done it. But for honors? nope.)
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #66229 - This was a reply to message #66228
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday October 12, 2014 12:07 PM
[Posted By stickboy on 10.12.2014 8:39 AM]

There's a difference between "ready golf" and "rude golf" ... and the difference is often situational. For example, many times the player with the lowest score on the previous hole is also the longest hitter.

I'm almost always the shortest hitter . . . and a few "longest hitters" will attest that (especially in match play) that they're not always the the one with the "lowest score".
 Message #66230 - This was a reply to message #66226
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Sunday October 12, 2014 4:54 PM
QUOTED  Sorry I'm feeling kind of ranty but I'm not sure "Ready Golf" has any real benefits. I'm not saying you have to stick to traditionally dictated order of play in all circumstances, but I am saying it's preferable probably 90% of the time and simplifies everything for everyone.

Yeah, you are making some good points and I kind of agree with some of them. The guys who wants to go last no matter what: bad. The guy who hits his approach, even though you are away: bad. Guys who tee off before the guy with the birdie: bad.

On the other hand, it's just golf. I am starting to not care too much about a lot of things anymore, so whatever makes you happy, man, I'm good with it.

CPennbo, next time we golf together and you have the better score on a hole, go ahead and tee off in front of me. I'll wait for you. You can just tell the rest of the group, "f-u, I got honors." I'll have your back.

[[Edited by kviser on Sunday October 12, 2014 4:55 PM]]
 Message #66235 - This was a reply to message #66221

Listing 1 to 10 of 73 Replies

PAGES: 8 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]