mlslaw
RE: Do you still care about Tiger?

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday May 13, 2015 8:04 PM
Totally with you on that one Nick---but you want to see excellence from your favorite pros--or at least for me, I'm always hoping to see a glimmer of what TW once was-- basically a super human golfer. Sure it's a "hope" but outrageous surprise performances sometimes happen in sports--- eg. Tom Watson almost pulling out a W at the British a few years ago--- captivating.
 Message #71703 - This was a reply to message #71541
Itslikeimsayin
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday April 14, 2019 9:38 PM
Who was this thread about? Whatever happened to that guy?

Cool stuff today.
 Message #91063 - This was a reply to message #71703
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday April 14, 2019 11:52 PM
As they say on to the next. Major's are always fun, but looking forward to the U.S. Open which will be held at Pebble, and the PGA which will be held at Bethpage both places the big cat has won before.

Would be nice if Rory can win at Royal Port Rush.
 Message #91066 - This was a reply to message #91063
kurator62

Favorite Golfer:
    fred couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill

Monday April 15, 2019 5:41 AM
Thank You
 Message #91067 - This was a reply to message #71545
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday April 15, 2019 9:49 AM
2019 Grand Slam? Only one man can do it.
 Message #91073 - This was a reply to message #91067
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Monday April 15, 2019 10:48 AM
Now that he won another major and his **COMEBACK** is complete I hope he never wins again. He's still a PRICK
 Message #91076 - This was a reply to message #91073
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods--- Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Monday April 15, 2019 8:10 PM
Sunday was not even about golf for Tiger. This was much bigger than golf. Sunday was about his own personal story, getting back up off the mat and climbing the mountain. We all mistakes and nobody is perfect. Tiger dug "his grave" so to speak in his personal life, was broken (literally) physically, down possibly in depths that nobody knows but him. I had no excuses for him back then, same goes for me when I or anyone fails as humans(we are all broken). But I am so happy to see him where he is now, he will always be my favorite player. Golf is in such a good place right now, I think Tiger is as well. You don't know how well you had it until you lose it all.
Please check my websitegdrgolf instruction click here
 Message #91083 - This was a reply to message #91076
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Monday April 15, 2019 10:05 PM
Very well written Gary!
 Message #91084 - This was a reply to message #91083
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Tuesday April 16, 2019 6:18 PM
Agree with GDR23. Love him or hate him, he drives the golfing $$$ like no one ever has.

I have what may be a unusual take on the Tiger saga.

Question: Could the time off with injuries and personal misfortunes actually end up prolonging his career?

I think that mentally and physically, he was running on fumes by the time of his last flameout. Death of his father, numerous surgeries, well publicized divorce etc. The greatest golfer of his generation becoming a punch line when he was treated for sexual addiction. Coming back with the chipping yips and barely making cuts. Barely competing at times, much less dominating like he used to.

I wonder if the time off did him some good and provided the chance for him to heal? Physically. Mentally. Maybe emotionally.

I wonder if going through what he did makes his latest comeback have even greater personal significance?

I wonder if he has a greater appreciation for what it took to get him where he is, back in the Top 10 of the World Golf Rankings?

What it takes to remain there?

Had there been none of the above and he had say 20 majors before age 40, which was well within reach on the pace he was on through 2008... I wonder if we would still even be seeing Tiger Woods competing in anything more than the required amount of tournaments today? Maybe not playing at all?

I just wonder, at age 43, if the spark has been rekindled, and now he has a new goal. Still beat Jack's record, but now he will likely have to be chasing majors at an age few others ever have seriously competed to accomplish that goal. That type challenge seems to appeal to him.

The fields are deeper with more good players than ever before. Most of the 20 somethings grew up watching Tiger. Now they are his main competition. The amount of top competition is closer to his level than it used to be. He seems like he has more fun with the younger guys that he used to have.

Arguably the most important recent four tournaments worldwide:

In contention on the back 9 on Sunday @ the British Open and T6.
Then 2nd at the PGA.
Then won the Tour Championship.
Now won the Masters.

Seems to me like golf wise, he has the engine running full speed again. Here is to hoping that physically, mentally and emotionally, he can sustain it.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #91095 - This was a reply to message #91084
dconnally

GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Arnie
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry; Tobiano

Tuesday April 16, 2019 9:17 PM
After Tiger’s win Sunday, I was surprised that there was not much comment traffic on the GK site about Tiger and the win. In the past, we’ve had lots of comments by GKers on many of the topics Nick mentioned above. Love him or hate him, everyone had opinions.

Everyone knows I’ve been critical/despairing of Tiger in the past, on these forums. While he’s had many physical problems, some from activities of his own choosing, I always felt that what would keep him from getting back to being able to win was his mental state.

There was a time when TW felt he was invincible. It showed in the attitude he brought to the tournament and the final round – a supreme confidence and attitude that his opponents could feel – “I am unbeatable”. And for years he seemed to be. He would hit shots that had a huge potential for failure, but it was as if TW willed them to succeed. And he pulled them off.

The collapse came all at once: the revelations of infidelity, the addictions, the divorce. He had to be supervised when he was with his kids. Suddenly he was no longer invincible – the mental shock must have been overwhelming. Then came the physical problems.

Five years ago or so, my brother and I decided on a bet – not only did I think TW would never win another major, I also bet that he would never win another tournament! I felt that, even if he solved his physical problems (which was no sure thing at the time), the mental problems he had suffered would get in the way and make it impossible for him to get back to a winning level. The tour had moved forward and the competition was getting tougher every year, and TW was getting older. I felt that the mountain would be too hard to climb successfully. Now TW had “doubt” – doubt in his health; doubt about his swing; doubt about hitting “that” shot. That doubt would keep him from climbing to the top of that mountain.

Well, guess what! I think this win last weekend, coupled with his Tour Championship last year, must be one of the greatest feats of mental discipline and mental toughness I can think of. He didn’t need to climb that mountain to be successful. He didn’t need the money. He could be comfortable with his achievements the rest of his life.

But he wanted it! He wanted it badly. For whatever reasons he had. And he had the incredible mental discipline and mental toughness to repair his body and then put in the work to get back to the pinnacle.

Love him or hate him, I think you have to marvel at what it took to come from the bottom of the barrel and achieve the summit. And acknowledge the effort and discipline it required.
Remember, we could be at work!!
 Message #91096 - This was a reply to message #91095

Listing 21 to 30 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]