GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday April 17, 2019 6:08 AM
Agree completely with dconnally.
QUOTED  Five years ago or so, my brother and I decided on a bet – not only did I think TW would never win another major, I also bet that he would never win another tournament!

I made the same bet ... was equally amazed at the Tiger Woods comeback. Hard to put into words ... inspirational comes to mind!
QUOTED  Agree with GDR23. Love him or hate him, he drives the golfing $$$ like no one ever has.

I would suggest that nobody in any sport has moved the dial like this guy. The closest I can think of is Pele back in the '70's with soccer.
Add: Muhammad Ali in boxing changed the popularity of boxing in a huge way in the '60's (I was just a little guy, but remember it ... just like the Beetles).

Have to admit my opinion of him has changed for the better.

[[Edited by sngernz on Friday April 19, 2019 8:07 AM]]
 Message #91097 - This was a reply to message #91096
mlslaw
RE: Do you still care about Tiger?

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Friday April 19, 2019 8:44 PM
Several years ago, a prevailing sentiment was that TW was washed and he'd never compete again. But I do recall at least one prominent voice, way back then, who said to never count out TW: Phil.
 Message #91118 - This was a reply to message #91097
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Saturday April 20, 2019 6:46 PM
I was one of the few who always felt if Tiger could be healthy enough to play on a consistent basis he would eventually win again. Even during his U.S. Amateur days, he had a mental toughness and resiliency only a few golfers in history have shown. Same for his first Masters win- with all the pressure and expectations weighing on him, he turned a 40 on the front nine into a 70. Not many in his position could have stopped the bleeding like that, let alone shot a 30 on the way in. It's why (in my opinion), he's the best in the history of the game at turning a round that should be a 73 into a 69.

One thing I learned from years of performing - the biggest difference between those who excelled and those who were just ok had nothing to do with talent. The ones who excelled relished the thought of being in front of hundreds or thousands of people, all focused on them. They either intuitively knew, or learned over time, that the nerves they felt should be embraced, not feared - that they could be harnessed and raise them to a higher level. Tiger was and still is a master of this, and he used that to his advantage on Sunday. The distance control and accuracy on his irons got better as the round progressed, not worse like pretty much everyone else who was in or worked their way into contention.

When it became clear about the middle of last year he was going to be able to continue to play on a regular basis, you heard many of the "young guns" say they were hoping to be able to square off against Tiger in the last round of a tournament, and especially a Major. Seriously? You're going to wave raw meat in front of a physically improving and very hungry Tiger?!? I told a friend of mine at work "They better be careful what they wish for, it may not turn out as well as they think" (there were several pros from his era that had the same opinion - basically "No, you don't - trust me"). Sunday, they got what they wished for - and guess who ended up with the Green Jacket!

Now that he's cleared this hurdle, what's next? Can he win more majors and challenge Jack's record? Can he get back to #1? All I can say is, as long as he stays healthy, never, EVERY underestimate Tiger - it may not happen but I for one wouldn't be surprised to see him win one or more this year and end the year back on top of the OWGR. And I guarantee, at this point, the least surprised person would be Tiger.
 Message #91120 - This was a reply to message #91118
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    Pat Perez
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Saturday April 20, 2019 8:27 PM
Excellent post

Tigers number 1 strength was always his mental strength. His second best strength has been his ability to turn miraculous escape shots into birdies. There is no one else who even comes close. We almost expect it now from him now.

He was never any where near this good of an iron player before. He is the best iron player in the world right now. (Sorry Henrik too inconsistent)

He didn't just win the Masters. But absolutely dominated. He putted horrendously. Maybe the worst putting in a major ever for a winner.

If he makes 50% of those 4 footers he missed he could have beaten the field by 6 strokes.

I honestly believe he will win 2 more majors this year. For him to win the masters. Then the other two majors beings Pebble and Bethpage Black (Homes to some of his greatest major wins) Too much of a coincidence. I don't see how he doesn't at least win one of those two with how well they complement his current game.

His wedges and putting are horrendous. If he becomes above average to good at those 2 former strengths. Forget about it.

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Saturday April 20, 2019 8:28 PM]]
 Message #91122 - This was a reply to message #91120
sd3bs

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Michelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines South

Saturday April 20, 2019 8:48 PM
Never did and never will
 Message #91125 - This was a reply to message #71518
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday April 21, 2019 7:33 AM
Like him or not, nobody is perfect, he has done more for the game than anyone since Arnold Palmer. More money, more prestige, more athleticism, more spectators, more golf courses, more young people playing and learning the lessons golf has to offer, etc. etc. As some of the Tiger boon faded away so did some of the things he brought to the game, courses, sponsors. Anything that brings more excitement and interest to the game is good. More money, more commerce, more opportunities for people to make a living in the game they love, more charitable contributions to make the world a better place. Who can complain about more?
 Message #91129 - This was a reply to message #91125
JohnnyGK

JohnnyGK

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

Sunday April 21, 2019 8:19 AM
QUOTED  Like him or not, nobody is perfect, he has done more for the game than anyone since Arnold Palmer. More money, more prestige, more athleticism, more spectators, more golf courses, more young people playing and learning the lessons golf has to offer, etc. etc. As some of the Tiger boon faded away so did some of the things he brought to the game, courses, sponsors. Anything that brings more excitement and interest to the game is good. More money, more commerce, more opportunities for people to make a living in the game they love, more charitable contributions to make the world a better place. Who can complain about more?

Completely Agree
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #91130 - This was a reply to message #91129
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday April 21, 2019 7:16 PM
Xlnt article on how TW ranks in history

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/krauthammer-tiger-woods-illustrates-the -distance-between-a-sports-best-and-the-rest
 Message #91134 - This was a reply to message #91130
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    Pat Perez
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Sunday April 21, 2019 8:33 PM
You can't tell me golf with Tiger isn't more exciting.

A friend of mine who doesn't even watch or play golf told me he watched every single one of Tiger's shots. He said he was at the edge of his seat captivated and he couldn't understand why he enjoyed watching Tiger so much. This is sort of the convo I had with him and he agreed.

1st. America loves a comeback. In fact America is built on comebacks. We can all cast judgement but if you were 20 something had your father die and were worth $300 million don't try to tell me you wouldn't have an attitude be reckless. Almost every person falls into the temptation trap when they have that much money and power at a young age. I reread Tigers press conference form his "Incident" And he had the same mindset off all those big shot athlete womanizers. "He felt they he had worked so hard in his life that he had earned and deserved all of it, that the rules did not apply to him" He should have never gotten married and there is zero excuse for infidelity. No excuses there.

2nd. He is great at what he does. As my best friend Brian says. "I don't like Tiger but man can he hit a golf ball and he is amazing to watch". You know you are watching greatness when you watch him. Its impressive to watch someone so good at their craft. We may never see another Tiger again.

3rd. Tiger smiles now and shoes emotion. He has fun out there. And it's fun to watch. I was amazed watching him copy and laugh with Kevin Na at the Players during the round. He would never break character or laugh before. So I also believe people are captivated by Tiger opening up and showing his humanity.

Those are my opinions.
 Message #91136 - This was a reply to message #91134
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday April 21, 2019 11:49 PM
Well the new Tiger is more approachable to the media, the fans, and others, if you want to see the true value of Tiger it's what his peers think. Most people honestly didn't care when Sergio won his Masters, Patrick Reed his, but the number of players including those who had just been beaten who celebrated Tigers win, and spoke glowingly of him as a person was significant.

The one thing that wasn't covered was that in his comeback Tiger has finally followed advice that Jack has been giving him for years. Be your own teacher. Tiger says now that he has gone back to when he was a kid and is playing his hands, but realistically he is doing what Jack told him, that he knows his own body, knows all about golf swings and has the vision.

I have been inside the ropes with Tiger and found him very pleasant, not as fun as Phil, but still a gentleman despite the demands.

I want to see every person do well, I see no reason to feel ill towards anyone. Of course I write this on Easter Sunday, a day that is about redemption, about forgiveness, and yes I know Tiger is Buddhist, not Christian but the principals of forgiveness and grace are for all. As for me the guy is magic with a golf club and I enjoy watching him. I don't know about more majors, but I am rooting for two more PGA tour wins.
 Message #91139 - This was a reply to message #91136

Listing 31 to 40 of 40 Replies

PAGES: 4 1 2 3 4

[ Community Page ]