Pebble Beach Golf Vacation
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 24, 2015 12:56 PM
I know a lot of you have spent the money and stayed at the Pebble Beach resorts and golfed of course. From your experiences, what would you recommend as a place to stay and your golf experiences?

I'm planning on a spring trip next year.
 Message #72894
sngernz
RE: Pebble Beach Golf Vacation

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday July 24, 2015 1:07 PM
Give us some more info to help us help you, cali. How many days, how many rounds, how much do you want to spend (play Pebble & Spyglass or Pacific Grove, stay at the Inn or a Motel 8) because you can actually go up there and not have to drop $2K apiece to have a great time.
 Message #72896 - This was a reply to message #72894
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday July 24, 2015 1:11 PM
I want to play 3 courses and stay about 5 days. The price is not a concern, I'm being given this trip as a gift.
 Message #72897 - This was a reply to message #72896
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday July 24, 2015 1:19 PM
Then by all means stay at PB Lodge. Though I went many years ago, when it was less expensive (yes it really was) I found the lodge location to be the best central location for golf, Carmel and sightseeing during my time there. I also went in Sept when it was less crowded and when we usually get some great weather. I hope you enjoy the trip and have a great time.
 Message #72898 - This was a reply to message #72897
RDDenn

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Barona Creek

Friday July 24, 2015 1:48 PM
I agree with 24hour. Stay at the PB lodge. Ask for a room with a fireplace if possible. Just hope it doesn't get blustery, blows the fireplace doors open in the middle of the night, sets off the smoke alarm and you end up getting locked out of your room barefoot in 40 degree weather. It happens.

PB and Spyglass are musts. I personally like Poppy Hills. Spanish Bay will give you another sea side course.
 Message #72899 - This was a reply to message #72894
hammer74

Favorite Golfer:
    couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble, Pelican

Friday July 24, 2015 1:48 PM
Agree! if there is no limit on the budget, definitely stay at the Lodge.
I think they have a promo thru SCGA where u actually can avail of upgraded rooms and free rounds.

fYI - u can avail of replay rate for the other courses except PEbble Beach.

Good luck and enjoy!
 Message #72900 - This was a reply to message #72898
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday July 24, 2015 2:03 PM
QUOTED  The price is not a concern, I'm being given this trip as a gift.

Sweet, money is no object: music to my ears.

Like 24hour said, stay at the Lodge. The rooms are a bit dated but the history can't be beat. If you want something more modern, the Inn at Spanish Bay has great rooms with ocean views (highly recommended), plus a very nice outside bar area with fire pits ... great to sit around and talk golf, meet folk, or canoodle with your significant other. I last stayed there in 2013 for $650/night. On site restaurants at both locations are fantastic. Non-golf course lodging is also available: I've stayed at Portola Hotel where there are many amenities to enjoy, $250/night and up ... but that was many years ago. Or, if you want to be by the ocean there's several hotels down by Cannery Row (Victorian Inn) or B&B's further out on the peninsula (Seven Gables Inn). [I only mention places that I've stayed]

In Monterey, there's several good restaurants, too. If you like seafood, I've always had great meals at the Fish Hopper on Cannery Row. Not much night life weekdays, but Sly McFly's always has good rock/pop music and dancing (but the food's not too good). I've not visited Carmel but I'm sure that would be a great side trip.

The best part: golf! Must plays are Pebble and Spyglass Hill (my fav golf course ... period!). Get a caddy if you want but not really needed to enjoy the beauty and challenge ahead. To round off your golf: Spanish Bay is a bit less expensive and is a decent track, always in immaculate condition. Poppy Hills has always been one of my favorites up there, and a bit less money. If you have time, a side trip to Bayonet/Black Horse would be great ... two very challenging courses within 15 minutes of the peninsula.

To save a few bucks, join the Pebble Beach Resorts email club to get offers on their stay and play packages ... check it out on their website.

I hope that helps. Any other questions, just ask. I'm sure plenty of GK'ers can add more to help you out. If you've not had the Pebble Beach experience, get ready. Regarding California coastal scenery, the beauty of the Monterey Peninsula is rivaled by none.
 Message #72901 - This was a reply to message #72898
markd71

Favorite Golfer:
    Paula Creamer
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday July 27, 2015 2:12 PM
Stay at the Lodge the minimum nights required to play Pebble and Spyglass. Even the lowest priced rooms (are over-priced), but sweet, and they line the first fairway. I believe they're called the Garden View rooms? We left the back patio door open during the night and I was awoken to players teeing off the first hole. Talk about feeling like a little kid on Christmas Morning! The set-up at Pebble is awesome. It's like a tiny little village. You have the Lodge, restaurant, shops, Tap Room, pro shop, grocery, putting green, patio looking over 18.....all within super small area. A couple things I really enjoy doing when playing Pebble..........First, make it a full day all about Pebble. I go over to Carmel Beach at sunrise, get coffee at local shop, and walk down the beach towards the golf course. You can actually climb up the small cliffs and walk down holes #9 and #10 without anyone on the course. Bonus-If your a dog person, Carmel Beach is dog heaven. You will see the happiest dogs ever running on that beach. After going back to the room to get dressed for golf, head to Gallery Café for breakfast. It's a second story restaurant that sits over the putting green, with a view of both the 1st tee and the Bay. Another kid on Christmas morning moment. There can be fog or lots of dew early, so a mid-morning tee time always works. Take a caddie!!!!! Half the reason I go to Pebble is because of the caddie. They can tell you great stories, tell you who owns which house (unreal), and give you at least 5 strokes worth of advice. "Short of the green is always better than long of the green at Pebble". Playing 3 courses?, easy to pick the first two (Pebble and Spyglass), and I'd probably go with Spanish Bay to complete the Pebble Tri-Fecta. Spanish Bay gets some criticism, but I still thinks it's a great vacation course. It's much more target-golf that a links course should be, but you get unbelievable views, as some of the holes get right down to beach level. You'll see the ocean from every hole. There's no driving range there. Bagpipes at sunset and outdoor firepits can't be beat. Even if you don't play, go there for that experience. Call to see what time bagpipes play. If you have more nights than require at Pebble Resort, go stay at Monterey Plaza on Cannery Row. I've stayed many times, even my wedding night. What you get compare to staying at Pebble is super value. Great bar sitting over the water. Cannery Row is just cool, anyway. Pebble and Spanish Bay are completely different animals than Spyglass. Pebble and Spanish Bay are both all about amenities and feeling like your at a resort. Spyglass is simply an awesome course that makes no apologies. The clubhouse is super simple. It's just pure golf. Best place on earth! Have fun.
 Message #72947 - This was a reply to message #72894
Krystal

Favorite Golfer:
    dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Royal County Down

Monday July 27, 2015 11:30 PM
As someone who grew up living/playing Pebble Beach Golf Links, perhaps I'm somewhat jaded about staying at the Lodge... I find it such a touristy thing to do. And, everybody has a suggestion about how to save a buck. Really? Pebble on a budget?

Money not being an object, I would rent a house. A good realtor, or VERY good local PGA professional could help you here. Let them know, you're interested in playing golf. That individual should be able to secure a tee time at either/or Cypress Point/MPCC. Why play the tourist's choice? I'm a huge fan of the more exclusive Dunes course at MPCC. Don't count on buying a souvenir at the pro shop (you must be a member). Reciprocal play fee is $500 but, play with a member for quite a bit less. Dune's greens are square-ish (designed when mowers were horse driven). Can't beat the Scottish bagpipers and a glass or wine at sunset. Discriminating golfers know MPCC.

What's been written about Cypress Point is all true. A magnificent piece of property. Finding a tee time is easier than one might think. Well worth the effort.

If you have little ones. Why not include them in your trip. With a house, accommodations is simple. It's also offers an opportunity to play the Nay Course (par 3) at Pebble Beach. What a story that could be... 'I played Pebble with my little one.'

If you work it right, you might be able to get a culinary student to make your meals. During Masters week, we never go into Augusta. Easier to hire a professional chef. What the heck, its only money. After all is done, you'll have your memories. As my friends say... you can see it half full, half empty, be the one pouring or collecting the bottles afterwards. lol

mi dos centavos
k
 Message #72949 - This was a reply to message #72947
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Tuesday July 28, 2015 9:41 AM
Thanks everybody for all the comments, they are very valuable.

Would you recommend a caddie?
 Message #72954 - This was a reply to message #72949

Listing 1 to 10 of 26 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]