New PGA/LPGA strategy

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Aguila

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday April 2, 2017 7:43 PM
So I guess there's a new strategy for professional golf. Have your staff review all the video on your competitors and look for their rule violations. It might be a grain of sand falling in a bunker or a ball placed back a quarter inch off of where it was. Then send an email and watch yourself move up the leader board.

I love playing the game off golf, but one more of these stupid rulings like the one that just happened in the LPGA tourney and I may stop watching.

The list of stupid rulings just keeps growing. Rules officials are ruining the game! Have some common sense!
 Message #83107
Rat-Patrol
RE: New PGA/LPGA strategy

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday April 2, 2017 7:53 PM
Non-sensical . . . yes, this kinda thing puts a damper on the championship and will put an asterisk by the winner. Once a round is complete it should be in the book, period. As Lexi said, "Is this some kind of joke?"
 Message #83108 - This was a reply to message #83107
robule

Favorite Golfer:
    Couples, Ko, Day
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Sunday April 2, 2017 8:04 PM
Totally embarrassing for golf in general.

IMO, unless a penalty from an already completed round is determined prior to the subsequent round beginning, tough crap, move on. To penalize a player 4 strokes, 12 holes into the final round, is ridiculous.

This crap about replacing in the exact spot is dumb as well. NOBODY can replace a marks ball in the "EXACT" spot except by pure luck. Did Lexi get lazy, you bet. The penalty was beyond excessive and stupid.

The real ANA champ lost in the playoff. I wonder what I would have done if I was Ryu. Maybe punt two balls during the playoff in that big lake on 18 just on general prinicple. I was sure pulling for Ryu's second shot to end up in the pond!

[[Edited by robule on Sunday April 2, 2017 8:20 PM]]
 Message #83109 - This was a reply to message #83108
kevbig

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Sunday April 2, 2017 8:21 PM
This whole situation is atrocious and I hope whoever sent that email is currently writing a check to Lexi in the amount of $154,409 cuz that's how much he/she cost her. It's sickening that someone sitting on their couch can literally affect the livelihoods of others who do this for a living.

QUOTED  NOBODY can replace a marks ball in the "EXACT" spot except by pure luck.

Absolutely agree!!!
 Message #83110 - This was a reply to message #83109
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Sunday April 2, 2017 8:30 PM
QUOTED  So I guess there's a new strategy for professional golf. Have your staff review all the video on your competitors and look for their rule violations. It might be a grain of sand falling in a bunker or a ball placed back a quarter inch off of where it was. Then send an email and watch yourself move up the leader board.

I love playing the game off golf, but one more of these stupid rulings like the one that just happened in the LPGA tourney and I may stop watching.

The list of stupid rulings just keeps growing. Rules officials are ruining the game! Have some common sense!

Absolutely ridiculous. If they don't assign the penalty before the round is over they shouldn't be able to. Then Rickie readjusted his ball without marking it. Does that mean that tomorrow, or maybe next week, they'll assign a few strokes? (or does it not count because it was PGA?)

Embarrassing for golf. Can you imagine this in baseball? "Well folks, after reviewing the video from last night's game we've determined that the NY Yankees actually hit a foul ball instead of a fair ball in the 7th inning. Therefore we are adjusting the score, taking two runs away from the Yanks and giving two runs to the Red Sox for the win." Yeah, that would work....

[[Edited by CPennbo on Sunday April 2, 2017 8:57 PM]]
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #83112 - This was a reply to message #83107
golferic420

Favorite Golfer:
    Lefty
Favorite Golf Course:
    Las Vegas Paiute

Sunday April 2, 2017 9:03 PM
I've felt bad for Dustin Johnson for years; since his first major debacle. And then the US Open debacle this year.
I think Lexi is right on par with that. Such horse-poop! I was really hoping Lexi would have won the playoff, so it wouldn't have mattered.
Oh well, more rule changes for next year!
 Message #83115 - This was a reply to message #83107
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday April 2, 2017 10:42 PM
QUOTED  One more of these stupid rulings like the one that just happened in the LPGA Tourney and I may stop watching. Rules officials are ruining the game!

Since there are no mandates in place prohibiting the application of "retroactive" penalties after a round has been completed, the officials had no choice but to fulfill their obligation: enforce the rules as written. Would have been a different story had Thompson's infraction not come to light until Monday but that's just the way it is. I believe the LPGA Rules Committee's sole intent was to uphold and preserve the "integrity of the game" as they saw fit...but given the circumstances, whether or not their action was judicious is justifiably open for debate.

To that point, the proverbial "elephant in the room", this "viewer call-in" nonsense, needs to be addressed...and expeditiously. To be honest, the respective tours should have dealt with this disturbing trend immediately after the Dustin Johnson incident a few years back yet they didn't have the foresight or courage to do so. And although the possibility has been raised, I certainly don't think it's necessary to have a rules official poring over video footage in real time to seek out infractions; all you have to do is watch the NBA, NFL, or MLB to realize how "unwatchable" those sports are becoming.

If there's anything I disagree with, it's the additional two-stroke penalty levied for signing an incorrect scorecard. Since Thompson was unaware of the initial infraction and subsequent penalty...which in this instance occurred some 20 hours after the fact...it's obvious she would be guilty of submitting an incorrect card. Under those circumstances, impose the penalty for failure to mark the ball properly; the additional two strokes only adds insult to injury.

And looking beyond the ruling snafu, it was a very careless mistake by Thompson. I could rationalize her gaffe had she picked up her ball to clean it or allow someone else to putt, but all she did was spin the label and return the ball to the putting surface. Total lack of focus and concentration on her part that ultimately proved to be very costly.

QUOTED  NOBODY can replace a marked ball in the "EXACT" spot except by pure luck.

You're splitting hairs...the intent of the rule is to replace the ball AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE to its' original point of rest and we all know that. It's quite obvious Thompson's ball position was altered. Did it make her next putt any easier? Highly unlikely. Did she gain a competitive advantage? No...but the rule applies whether the ball is moved a foot or an inch.

QUOTED  I wonder what I would have done if I was Ryu. Maybe punt two balls during the playoff in that big lake on 18 just on general prinicple. I was sure pulling for Ryu's second shot to end up in the pond!

That's pretty noble of you Rob but it just doesn't work that way. Although the competitors who commented were sympathetic to Thompson's plight, it's still a part of the game that must be dealt with; it's not like she was penalized for attempting to board a flight while wearing leggings.

Although I felt Karma would ultimately win out, I didn't want to see anyone hand the title back to Thompson. Still, her ability to gather herself and respond with birdie on #13, jumping right back into a tie for the lead when Pettersen missed her par attempt, was a thing of beauty. I've never been a Lexi fan...don't like her golf swing one bit...but as far as character is concerned, she's now #1 in my book. The manner in which she handled herself after the tournament was truly exemplary.

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Monday April 3, 2017 3:45 AM]]
 Message #83119 - This was a reply to message #83107
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Monday April 3, 2017 5:11 AM
This is like the Grouch decision allowing the corporation to fire a guy for not letting himself freeze to death.
 Message #83122 - This was a reply to message #83119
lvbigblue
Southern Nevada/North Carolina Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Stewart Cink
Favorite Golf Course:
    tpc sawgrass

Monday April 3, 2017 5:13 AM
This is why people do not care for golf You summed it up beautifully
 Message #83123 - This was a reply to message #83119
lvbigblue
Southern Nevada/North Carolina Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Stewart Cink
Favorite Golf Course:
    tpc sawgrass

Monday April 3, 2017 5:19 AM
I love the expression "Part of the Game" This is why I love playing golf but my friends use our own set of rules called common sense. Stripe it down the fairway end up in a divot ask your playing partners for a ruling. We rule ourselves Do not need some anal idiots from 100 years ago to make rules We play our own game and it is FUN and Great. Keep defending these rules officials but for me they are ruining the enjoyment of watching golf. But at least I can enjoy golf with my own set of rules COMMON SENSE.
 Message #83124 - This was a reply to message #83119

Listing 1 to 10 of 58 Replies

PAGES: 6 1 2 3 4 5

[ Community Page ]