mlslaw
The Coolidge Par 3 hidden gem in Griffith Park

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday July 23, 2017 3:35 PM
I wrote the following awhile back to my brother reminiscing about LA golf in the '60s at a terrific little hidden gem. Thought I'd share---

"It had to be about 1960 when we were about 12 and 10. How Dad ever discovered Griffith Park’s Coolidge Memorial Par 3 golf course is a mystery. He must have asked around and he must have sparked our interest in the game.

I discovered that Coolidge opened in 1947 and then, sadly, closed in 1970. It’s now the site of a private golf academy for youths. But I have to say that some of my happiest childhood memories were of our Coolidge go-outs. The drive to the course was about 30 minutes from home – no more, maybe less – and during those days on the weekends, there was zero traffic. I recall driving up a deserted Vine St. towards Sunset – not many folks out and about –and then farther northeast to Griffith Park.

As we entered the park and drove the curving uphill road to the course (located near the highest elevation of the hilly Griffith Park), my excitement level increased. We were always anxious to finally arrive at Coolidge. We were now in “the country.” It was tree lined and forested -- you could smell it, feel it, taste it.

We went there without the standard golf equipment (clubs, balls, tees, gloves, ball repair tools). We just rented the basics at the tiny golf shop that stood sentry to the course and hole no.1 (slightly uphill and narrow). It was always tough for Dad to find a left handed club—there weren’t that many—he’d use the right handed ones if the lefties were gone. We maybe just used a putter and one other iron for the entire course, but that was enough—more than enough because we were just hackers in heaven.

We’d go on early weekends -- that’s when Dad could play and he was an early riser (maybe he thought it best for him and his young sons to get there before other more serious golfers took over). And I know it was early because it was always damp and pretty cold when we started. And sometimes we’d even play in the fog where you couldn’t see the holes. We weren’t about to turn back.

Bad shots were OK and Dad he even tried to give us a little instruction, although he didn't know the basics—which is OK. After all, it’s a hit the ball and get it into the hole game. And we never held up any other players—probably because there weren’t that many—it was 1960 LA and we were playing a hidden gem par 3.

None of us wore “golf” shirts or other standard togs. We wore jeans and tees and probably looked a little scruffy---but none of that mattered as we just had oodles of fun negotiating that short, hilly Par 3 course with those nine magnificent holes. And then there was my hole-in-1. It was on no. 7, a downhill hole with a raised embankment on the left side. Of course, my tee shot was off the mark to the left but the ball landed on the bank and then took a serendipitous right turn down the little hillock and then, somehow, directly found the hole. We all jumped and screamed and couldn’t believe it. I was on cloud 9 especially when Dad informed the starter in the tiny shop of my accomplishment. He was a proud Dad that day. In fact, I think he was a proud Dad every day."
 Message #84965
Itslikeimsayin
RE: The Coolidge Par 3 hidden gem in Griffith Park
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Sunday July 23, 2017 3:40 PM
Very cool. I'd never heard of it.
 Message #84966 - This was a reply to message #84965
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Sunday July 23, 2017 4:34 PM
What an awesome memory. I would give anything to havr one more day like that with my dad.
 Message #84967 - This was a reply to message #84965
hammer74

Favorite Golfer:
    couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble, Pelican

Sunday July 23, 2017 5:42 PM
very interesting read. thanks for sharing.

Could this site be the now Tregnan golf academy?
 Message #84968 - This was a reply to message #84967
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday July 23, 2017 7:56 PM
QUOTED  Could this site be the now Tregnan golf academy?

one in the same---I'll go and check it out one of these days
 Message #84970 - This was a reply to message #84968
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Tuesday July 25, 2017 9:52 AM
This reminds of an old LA TV show on PBS or somewhere that was called 'Things that aren't here anymore' and it was fascinating. Like for example there was a small zoo where the Beverly Center currently sits. So stuff like this I find very interesting and cool ... thanks for sharing that story.
 Message #84986 - This was a reply to message #84970
mswhsu

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday July 25, 2017 5:19 PM
Yes, this the now Tregnan golf academy, formerly the Coolidge Memorial par 3, 9 holes golf course, but now only have 3 holes with small driving range.

I also had fun memories at the Coolidge, which first golf course I ever played back in 1973.
 Message #85006 - This was a reply to message #84970
tcmae

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Los Verdes

Tuesday July 25, 2017 11:03 PM
I actually first took up the game, and learned the game at the now Tregnan Golf Academy where I went about 10-11 years ago from Summer 06-Spring 08 during my sophomore and junior years in high school. I enrolled in every 10 week class session, once a week between Summer 06-Spring 08. After my first session back in Summer 06, my first instructor who was the director of instruction during that time gave me my first set of clubs at the end of week 10, when we would have a skills challenge between our classmates. At the end of the Fall 06 session, I won first place in the skills challenge, and by January 07, I started playing the par 3 courses. Unfortunately, during the Spring 07 session, the Griffith Park fire happened, and the last 4-5 weeks or so of the Spring 07 session was canceled due to the fire. When I returned for the Summer 07 session, because of the fire, the academy's driving range was extended 50 yards up, which went up to 250 yards uphill. I remember it was always challenging to hit balls in the driving range because it was all uphill. The academy also had 3 practice holes, with the 1st hole a 50 yard downhill hole, the 2nd hole a 75 yard flat hole, and the 3rd hole a 85 yard uphill hole, and also a practice putting green, and a clubhouse area with a classroom/reception area, office, and a club repair/storage room. During my time there, I read stories about the Coolidge course that was there, which was a tricky course, which is why it's called Tregnan Golf Academy at Coolidge. I will always give credit to this academy for teaching me, and getting me into the game 11 years later.
 Message #85024 - This was a reply to message #84965

Listing 1 to 8 of 8 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]