icu2often
"Sciatic" caused by Golfing ?

Favorite Golfer:
    ?
Favorite Golf Course:
    None yet

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday February 18, 2018 6:36 AM
Okay... we are Golfers and its been said that our bodies (mostly our back) was never meant to take such a blunt force type of twist only because it is not good for Muscles, our Spine and other extremities. Great players have had serious back issues such as Couples, Woods, Jason Day, Rory, Retief Goosen and I'm sure many others. So comes this question. As a golfer have you even experience "Sciatica" or "Back" problems caused by the golf swing, I mean excruciating pain in your back or pain in one or both of your legs caused by a Sciatic nerve. If so, how bad was your pain and what did you do about it. If you did nothing how long did it last (the pain) before it just healed itself or did you seek professional help? Any recommendations? I know some of you guys are going to say "Smoke Weed" for the pain, now that's its legal but come on now, lets be serious.
 Message #87155
SBogey
RE: "Sciatic" caused by Golfing ?

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Sunday February 18, 2018 8:09 AM
My sciatica affects my swing but I have never felt it was golfing that causes the injury. I use a chiropractor to get back in playing condition when it gets bad. Even went as far as acupuncture last summer when I really hurt it and could barely walk. Both methods seem to work for me. Doesn't stop it from coming back but gets me back on the course when it's really tight.
 Message #87157 - This was a reply to message #87155
Rat-Patrol
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Sunday February 18, 2018 10:56 AM
Stretching almost daily (sometimes more when tight), heat and ice when bad and I am thinking about going to a local non-force chiropractor that ex-Padre David Wells says does wonders. I'm a bit twisted at the moment and have occasional hip pain most likely caused by my back being misaligned. I know mine is work related but worsened by golf. Never tried acupuncture, seems a temporary pain ease through nerve activation, but I'm probably wrong about that.
 Message #87158 - This was a reply to message #87157
mlslaw

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Canyon

Sunday February 18, 2018 1:30 PM
Could you briefly explain the swing changes you mentioned and what is jvga?
 Message #87160 - This was a reply to message #87159
NateofCA

Favorite Golfer:
    Me
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday March 13, 2018 2:01 AM
I injured my sciatic nerve about 30 years ago helping someone move. I never got treatment or surgery for it. The problem corrected itself enough to where I could function for most things I do and fortunately my work is more desk type than physical. Nevertheless it always reminded me that I had a back problem that I was going to have to deal with and/or live with. About ten years after it happened I started playing some tennis often and found out that helped my back through reaching for the ball and court movement. I decided to try a yoga class and found that really helped manage the problem. I started playing golf in 2002 close to age 50 but with aging my back problem had become more of a nuisance as aging seems to always remind us of earlier life injuries. Frankly now I couldn't even play golf if I didn't do yoga at least once a week. I go to two one-hour classes at a gym and one is more intense than the other. I also have some videos and you can find TV classes as well as Youtube videos. If you decide to try it be sure to tell the instructor of any injury you have and find out what kind of yoga they focus on because there are different types and different intensity of classes. Don't ever push you body to the point of too much pain and a good instructor will tell you that. Try to focus on exercises that involve soft twisting and stretching. I will also say that I have played some of my best golf after yoga classes that I had on early Saturday mornings about 10 years ago. One of my good friends did injure his sciatic nerve from so much golfing and hasn't played for about 3 or 4 years now. He was really in bad shape but didn't want to get operated on. I kept trying to get him to try yoga and he finally has started taking a class after some physical therapy that allowed him to function fairly normally. Fortunately he's a slim guy. Yoga will be tough if you're too overweight with much of a gut and stuff. Of course a big gut is bad on the back also. I'm hoping/expecting to start seeing my friend on the courses again soon and he's almost 70.
 Message #87481 - This was a reply to message #87155
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Wednesday March 14, 2018 7:42 AM
About a year after taking up golf my wife starting experiencing problems with her sciatic. Not sure if it was caused by golf or just the fact that we are getting older and at the time she was less active. For about six months she went the chiropractor route which worked but only until her next round of golf. She finally went to a physical therapist who gave her some proper stretching and light exercises (aka yoga, Pilates ) and this has cured the issue.
 Message #87502 - This was a reply to message #87481
Nickies

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Broadmoor, Portland, OR

Wednesday September 26, 2018 4:20 PM
Golfing has helped my back, I play every weekday and am 67 years old. Just the same I wouldn't say this works for everyone there are variations on what causes sciatica problems.
 Message #89486 - This was a reply to message #87155
randman01

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday October 18, 2018 9:58 AM
Following!this seems like a very interesting thread

[[Edited by randman01 on Thursday October 18, 2018 9:59 AM]]

[[Edited by randman01 on Thursday October 18, 2018 10:00 AM]]