JohnnyGK

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    GK'ers
Favorite Golf Course:
    Cascata

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday May 21, 2018 10:37 AM
Talking with lots of golf course operators lately, SoCal did not get enough adequate rain fall this winter/spring season to fill those lakes & wells to utilize much over the summer. In addition the costs of water has gone up again meaning many/most golf courses have to cut back. Unless we get a bunch of freak monsoon moister, we are returning to drought like turf conditions over the summer. You’re already seeing some courses feeling the effects.

Last year spring/summer conditions were the best in a long time, it may have raised our expectations for lush green turf conditions to be the norm again, but that’s not likely going to be the case this summer at most golf courses.
GK FACEBOOK - Please check it out - CLICK HERE - I'm doing fun posts all the time.
 Message #88353
AndrewZ28
RE: Its Gonna Get Brown Again – SoCal Golf Courses
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    La Purisima

Monday May 21, 2018 12:00 PM
I've been working on my worm-burners to maximize run out in the firm and fast conditions

I might be in the minority, but if a course focuses their efforts/water/money on the greens and green surrounds I'm always cool with that. I don't mind hitting off firmer fairways and if it gets too bad I can just bump the ball.

Bigger concern is more closures because of the rising costs. That scares me....
 Message #88354 - This was a reply to message #88353
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Monday May 21, 2018 5:30 PM
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"...Bob Dylan

Hardly a revelation to anyone who has resided in Southern California the past few years. Since July 2017, rainfall totals in the region have fallen short of the norm anywhere from 65-80%. And I seriously doubt we'll be rescued by some sudden 'Noah's Ark' situation that materializes over the ensuing months, so be prepared.

As a result, golf courses will be faced with another summer of conditioning issues and economic challenges. I'm in the same boat as AndrewZ28: as long as the putting surfaces and fringe areas are decently maintained, I'll have no issue whatsoever with less-than-ideal fairway conditions if that's the choice the affected golf course operators are being forced to grapple with.

And while brown fairways won't elicit glowing reviews, I hope those who post on GK...if the situation does happen to turn out to be as dire as anticipated...take these things into consideration and not expect pristine playing conditions. The survival of those facilities may depend on having to adopt such drastic measures.

Additionally, the shortage of rainfall, coupled with increasing water costs, means that something has to give; not only will course conditions be compromised but increases in greens fees could also be in play, so don't be surprised if some courses adjust their rate structures to offset the additional maintenance expenses.

This could be a very difficult summer for many facilities but one that immediately comes to mind is The Links at Summerly. With all the turf issues they've had to deal with during their 'restoration' phase, how will they possibly present a playable golf course if confronted with further restrictions/constraints on watering? Needless to say, the outlook isn't promising.
 Message #88361 - This was a reply to message #88353
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Monday May 21, 2018 8:54 PM
The sad part is that increased water costs (which could go up by a lot with the commencement of construction on the twin underground water ducts in the bay area) may cause course with marginal financials to close. Let's hope not.
 Message #88364 - This was a reply to message #88361
sdscratchorbust

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

Tuesday May 22, 2018 9:45 PM
I think the solution will be for courses to turn to the mulch rough concept:

See Boulder Oaks, Carmel Mountain makeovers.

https://www.boulderoaksgolfclub.com/

I think this a viable solution most courses in SoCal will need to turn too. I personally like the desert look and contrast of golf courses vs the rolling grass parkland.

I would prefer courses put their effort on the fairways and greens as most desert courses do. If they can't afford the fairways what is wrong with playing winter rules on a patchy fairway if the greens and teeboxes are lush?

Thoughts?

[[Edited by sdscratchorbust on Tuesday May 22, 2018 9:46 PM]]
 Message #88377 - This was a reply to message #88364
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Tuesday May 22, 2018 9:55 PM
A new term for the lexicon "Drought Drop" . . . as in, "Go ahead and take a drop to some grass, we're playing drought rules".
 Message #88378 - This was a reply to message #88377

Listing 1 to 6 of 6 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]