Los Serranos charging for cart GPS

GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday July 14, 2018 5:39 AM
Ok you all know how much I like Los Serranos and how much I play there. So got there Fri Jul 13th and was very very disappointed with LS, went to check in, guy said to us "you guys play here alot and are familiar with the new GPS ( shark experience ) in the carts. The 30 days trial period is over and you now have to pay for the gps in the cart" . Well we all have watches so we said no (didn't even ask how much) I must say I am very disappointed to see them do this as the new gps was nice and we don't use the music part of it. I guess courses are trying to make money any way they can. I guess it is better to give players the option of paying for it instead of raising the price for everyone. IMHO they won't get enough people who want to pay for it to pay for the product, if that does happen I hope they don't raise the price for everyone.
 Message #88844
Hollis
RE: Los Serranos charging for cart GPS

Favorite Golfer:
    'Dick' Fowler,lol
Favorite Golf Course:
    Tukwet Canyon Canyons

Saturday July 14, 2018 10:17 AM
I played LS few weeks ago and found the 'shark experience' to be a little much. Pro shop attendee informed my playing partner and I that it was indeed possible to watch the world cup match that was going on, on the screen. As if I didn't have enough problems concentrating shot to shot, lol. We fiddled with it for less than five minutes and decided against messing with it at all. Very convoluted apparatus, in my opinion. Since I use both a GPS watch and range finder, I don't remember looking at the screen anytime after the first tee box, lol.
To be given the option to pay for the service or decline would seem fair. I'm sure it would only be about $5 or so. But then, to play devil's advocate, this situation invokes nearly identical arguments as did my 'no walking rate' post, if and when they decide to charge you for it whether you utilize it or not. Course, we'll indefinitely have those that argue on behalf of the courses 'struggling' to stay afloat, lol.

[[Edited by Hollis on Saturday July 14, 2018 10:20 AM]]
 Message #88845 - This was a reply to message #88844
sr129

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    goose creek

Sunday July 15, 2018 7:43 AM
i played the south course yesterday and the GPS asked for a code to use it. Apperently you have to pay in the shop to get the code.
No one in our mens club paid and the screen did come on about halfway through the round but only showed the layout of the hole without any yardages.
With most players now using some form of GPS or laser I don't see many players will to shell out additional money for this. My guess is that this won't be around for long.
 Message #88848 - This was a reply to message #88845
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Sunday July 15, 2018 9:05 AM
QUOTED  only showed the layout of the hole without any yardages.

That sounds like what I experienced a couple of years ago while playing the three Sycuan courses in San Diego. I was informed by the pro shop that their GPS contract was costing them $10,000 per month for their courses and that it had not been renewed while they evaluated alternatives.

I would presume that the $10,000 figure is higher than normal because they have 54 holes? That it would probably be lower for a 36 or 18 hole facility? Assuming they are charged by the cart?

When I played Sycuan last year, the GPS was again operational. So they obviously decided it was worth it to them.

I am not privy to the monthly operating budget of any particular course, but $10,000 for GPS is not chump change to their bottom line. It may be novel for a course to charge an optional extra fee for GPS. However, if the course increases the fee we are charged to play the course(s) to cover their GPS charges, we already ARE paying for it.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #88849 - This was a reply to message #88848
scratchman

Favorite Golfer:
    tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Friday July 20, 2018 1:15 PM
I heard they're going to raise their rates... Have you heard anything to this affect?
 Message #88938 - This was a reply to message #88844
rob1563

Southern Nevada Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Ryan Moore
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Saturday July 21, 2018 11:59 AM
I don't see the advantage of a "locals" type course of adding the cost (equipment, subscription, maintenance) of a new in cart GPS system if the majority of your golfers are repeat customers who are more familiar with the course. I like the idea of giving the option to the player to pay for it.

Resort courses, where you're already paying a "higher than normal" rate, would benefit more and can sneak the cost into the green fees. Most customers are unfamiliar with the layout and it may help with pace of play.
 Message #88952 - This was a reply to message #88938
grantar2

Favorite Golfer:
    Danny Lee
Favorite Golf Course:
    Medowlark

Sunday July 22, 2018 10:33 PM
I don't need my cart to have GPS and I don't want music or distractions. Most the course I have played the have in cart GPS use it to prod groups on playing time, and use it to know where the carts are in the course and relay that to the marshal. I don't need to pay so they can do that.
 Message #88968 - This was a reply to message #88952
Hollis

Favorite Golfer:
    'Dick' Fowler,lol
Favorite Golf Course:
    Tukwet Canyon Canyons

Monday July 23, 2018 8:24 AM
Nicksquire, just out of concern, how confident are you, on a scale of 1-10, are you in what the pro shop told you was the truth, regarding the actual cost? Could it be possible that this was spin or inflation to influence your perspective as to the passed down cost/expense to the customer?
My experience with the management of a motorsports facility gives me a little insight into this dynamic; portraying a borderline financial loss in providing a service to the customer to lessen the blowback upon the eventual price increases. Similar to NBA/NFL teams announcing to the media the losses they incur despite Forbes and the like reporting significant profit and value increases.
Just a little sceptical on that $10k per month bill when you take into account work force payroll, water costs, paper products, fuel costs to run mowers, repairing/replacing equipment, pesticides and the like, etc. Just a little curious, I fully understand you probably are much more knowledgeable on the inner working of course management and appreciate the enlightenment.
 Message #88970 - This was a reply to message #88968
larryq2001

Favorite Golfer:
    Ernie Els
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bailey Creek

RPGC MAIL USER EMAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday July 23, 2018 5:52 PM
LS is our home course so we’re there every Saturday morning. The price to use the GPS/Bluetooth, etc. is $8 bucks and I believe this is the brainchild of the new group now running the course and restaurant; JC Resorts I believe is the company name. Just this past weekend, I did ask an employee how the sales were going on its use and he said it was not good. That shouldn’t be a real surprise as just about everyone I know already has a GPS device or range finder. I have used it once while using a cart during the trial period and it was super nice with a complete view of the hole you’re playing. Kind of cool actually but I can see how it can be distracting. I don’t mind music out there as long as it is not loud. I also thought it would be cool to use during football season if you could get some games on their screens. That could be really distracting however. Then again I walk when I play, so not much good for me.
 Message #88977 - This was a reply to message #88844
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Wednesday July 25, 2018 11:30 AM
QUOTED  Nicksquire, just out of concern, how confident are you, on a scale of 1-10, are you in what the pro shop told you was the truth, regarding the actual cost? Could it be possible that this was spin or inflation to influence your perspective as to the passed down cost/expense to the customer?

I have no knowledge either way. Just relaying what I was told when I inquired in the pro shop after the round why their GPS screen would provide an outline of the hole but not working yardages.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #89013 - This was a reply to message #88970

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]