N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 30, 2018 3:53 AM
Hey guys,

Happy Friday!

Back playing after 7-8 weeks off.

Went to the range and had a blast this week.

Would appreciate any feedback on my swing etc. There's definitely a lot of minor slicing going on.

Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN6zb-lc-44

Lukas
 Message #89947
sdscratchorbust
RE: Back after 2 months off!

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pasatiempo

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday November 30, 2018 7:30 AM
You're definitely coming way over the top and getting a lot of external rotation from the right shoulder and there isn't much you can do from there to save it.

I'm sure you're experiencing double missing, high slices right and low hard pulls left?

To me the main issue is your takeaway. Which is causing you to come over the top and therefore slice it with an outside in swing plane.

Here is a good video to explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1velb0EqU

I would focus on keep your hands and arms lower as you take away to make your swing arc larger. Which should give you more rotation and let your hands drop into a flatter plane..

A good drill would be to work on pushing a club away from you during your back swing

Here is a good video that helped me.
 Message #89948 - This was a reply to message #89947
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday November 30, 2018 10:27 AM
Welcome back!
Looks like you had a good time.
I'm no expert, but :41 & 1:09 looks good.
Nice video composition. What tools did you use there and what level of difficulty is it to make one?
Cheers!
JVGA
 Message #89950 - This was a reply to message #89947
jerry64

Favorite Golfer:
    paddy H
Favorite Golf Course:
    Oak Quarry, Superstition

Saturday December 1, 2018 7:16 PM
Well I’m no expert but you seem to have a serious over the top swing. I had the same problem and for me the trick to curing it with practice was to take the club back a bit slower and only to about 3/4 quarters. It cured my pull and also a rather annoying slice.
 Message #89966 - This was a reply to message #89947
uptoscratchgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 4, 2018 2:02 AM
QUOTED  You're definitely coming way over the top and getting a lot of external rotation from the right shoulder and there isn't much you can do from there to save it.

I'm sure you're experiencing double missing, high slices right and low hard pulls left?

To me the main issue is your takeaway. Which is causing you to come over the top and therefore slice it with an outside in swing plane.

Here is a good video to explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB1velb0EqU

I would focus on keep your hands and arms lower as you take away to make your swing arc larger. Which should give you more rotation and let your hands drop into a flatter plane..

A good drill would be to work on pushing a club away from you during your back swing

Here is a good video that helped me.

Yeah mate, exactly that!

What you're saying make a lot of sense to be fair. I like the suggestion about keeping hands and arms lower.

It's frustrating because I only get to play about once a month so hard to get any consistency.

Will look at getting a lesson as well which helped last time.

Appreciate your feedback and will give the videos a watch
 Message #89978 - This was a reply to message #89948
uptoscratchgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 4, 2018 2:05 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By jerry64 on 12.01.2018 7:16 PM]

Well I’m no expert but you seem to have a serious over the top swing. I had the same problem and for me the trick to curing it with practice was to take the club back a bit slower and only to about 3/4 quarters. It cured my pull and also a rather annoying slice.

Agreed!

That definitely worked for me last time.

About 3 months ago, I had to play with a VERY short back swing to kill the slice. Reckon I'll go to that again!

Cheers for the reply.
 Message #89979 - This was a reply to message #89950
uptoscratchgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Tuesday December 4, 2018 2:07 AM
QUOTED  Welcome back!
Looks like you had a good time.
I'm no expert, but :41 & 1:09 looks good.
Nice video composition. What tools did you use there and what level of difficulty is it to make one?
Cheers!

Thank you

Cheers mate, gotta keep plugging away haha.

I filmed it on my iPhone and used imovie to edit it.

If you look at our channel, all our videos are filmed and edited the same way.

I wouldn't say it's too difficult and there's some good/easy tutorials for imovie.
 Message #89980 - This was a reply to message #89950
t8fish

Favorite Golfer:
    My Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wykagyl GC

Tuesday December 4, 2018 10:00 AM
You're already talking lesson, which I would recommend.

The slice basically comes from the club face coming across the ball from out to in rather than straight through or even a little in to out (a draw). When a person is aware of their own tendency to slice, consciously or unconsciously there can be a tendency to lock it in or make it worse by trying to make the ball go left by aligning a little left and/or swinging more out to in (right to left) in an attempt to force the ball to go left vs. the slice out to the right (for a right hander). Golf frequently being counter intuitive, this just reinforces the mechanics to make a slice despite your brain trying to make it go left.

I'm not a pro or coach (in golf anyway), but you might consider trying something in practice. Whether with a stick or whatever, confirm your alignment to a target in your set up and get your feet shoulders on line and square. Once set up, taking the club back slow is generally a good thing. Other than that, and rather than thinking about where your arms are a, how you turn, etc., don't focus on your mechanics.

Instead, if the target is at 12:00 in front of you, without changing your alignment, attempt to hit the ball to the right — between 1 and 2:00. Start with shorter, easy swings and just try to sweep it out there. To help you do this, when you look down at the ball, if the front of the ball facing the target is 9:00, focus on hitting the ball at 4:00, rather then the expected 3:00, to encourage the in-to-out push to hit your new target. Gradually start making fuller swings.

The idea is to let your adjusted intentions help you make corrections unconsciously rather than consciously adjusting your mechanics to meet your intentions. Rather than actually pushing to the right, you may find the ball going straight, or starting out right but with draw. All this is to encourage that in-to-out swing path. Counterintuitively, the attempt to make the ball go right should straighten out the slice and encourage a right-to-left ball flight.

It's not a complicated drill you've got nothing to lose, so try it. If it doesn't work or give you any insight, just move on to something else.

[[Edited by t8fish on Tuesday December 4, 2018 10:07 AM]]
 Message #89984 - This was a reply to message #89980
uptoscratchgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday December 6, 2018 4:51 AM
QUOTED  You're already talking lesson, which I would recommend.

The slice basically comes from the club face coming across the ball from out to in rather than straight through or even a little in to out (a draw). When a person is aware of their own tendency to slice, consciously or unconsciously there can be a tendency to lock it in or make it worse by trying to make the ball go left by aligning a little left and/or swinging more out to in (right to left) in an attempt to force the ball to go left vs. the slice out to the right (for a right hander). Golf frequently being counter intuitive, this just reinforces the mechanics to make a slice despite your brain trying to make it go left.

I'm not a pro or coach (in golf anyway), but you might consider trying something in practice. Whether with a stick or whatever, confirm your alignment to a target in your set up and get your feet shoulders on line and square. Once set up, taking the club back slow is generally a good thing. Other than that, and rather than thinking about where your arms are a, how you turn, etc., don't focus on your mechanics.

Instead, if the target is at 12:00 in front of you, without changing your alignment, attempt to hit the ball to the right — between 1 and 2:00. Start with shorter, easy swings and just try to sweep it out there. To help you do this, when you look down at the ball, if the front of the ball facing the target is 9:00, focus on hitting the ball at 4:00, rather then the expected 3:00, to encourage the in-to-out push to hit your new target. Gradually start making fuller swings.

The idea is to let your adjusted intentions help you make corrections unconsciously rather than consciously adjusting your mechanics to meet your intentions. Rather than actually pushing to the right, you may find the ball going straight, or starting out right but with draw. All this is to encourage that in-to-out swing path. Counterintuitively, the attempt to make the ball go right should straighten out the slice and encourage a right-to-left ball flight.

It's not a complicated drill you've got nothing to lose, so try it. If it doesn't work or give you any insight, just move on to something else.

hey mate, many thanks for the detailed response!

that all makes sense so I will definitely try out what you are saying.

open to trying a lot of different stuff so I can get some consistency going but of course that comes with playing more often, which is a trick in itself haha.
 Message #89990 - This was a reply to message #89984

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]