jrspade
Golf Clubs

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bobby Jones

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday June 12, 2019 5:33 AM
I have been playing golf my whole life but now that I have gotten older I am playing regularly and taking it more seriously. So, in that sense I am rather new to the equipment side as I have always played with entry level sets and hand me down clubs. I was wondering where do you guys buy your clubs for the best deals? The big box stores I am assuming are too expensive and a rip off? I have been going to a local shop that sells used clubs and it is very reasonable but the 3W I bought there just broke (punching out of some tall rough) after only about 25 rounds. Looking for any advice anyone can give. I don't want to spend and arm and a leg but slowly upgrade my clubs. I don't care if they match. Unless it is better to go all in and buy a complete set?
 Message #91571
3-4bravo
RE: Golf Clubs

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Hunter Ranch

Wednesday June 12, 2019 7:21 AM
First things first go get fitted somewhere. If you're going to spend the money on a new set you might as well test drive a couple first. You can even go to a local Dick's and swing some clubs there to see what fits your swing/what you like. I know Golf Tec charges $95 bucks and they also offer a trade in value for your current set. It isn't much, but it helps. Once you find a set that fits you, ask around your local muni to see if they can get you a deal. Most of the time, if you find a cool pro/manager, they'll hook you up with a price. Golf courses don't make their money on selling clubs like Dick's or anything so they're more willing to work with prices rather than the big chain stores. Good luck, and I hope you find a great deal!

Some good and cheap irons to look at are Cobra, TaylorMade, and Callaway.
 Message #91572 - This was a reply to message #91571
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Wednesday June 12, 2019 10:37 AM
Agree with fitting advice. Not knowing your physical characteristics that's the starting point. I'm standard length, grip 2 degrees upright swing angle same as when I was fitted years ago. Golf Galaxy offers "free" fitting if you buy the club. Golf Tec you will get a more detailed analysis with possibility of adding video and other data collection.

My current driver is a Ping G30 which I was fitted for about the time the taylor made M series debuted. Both did about the same on the trackman distance and accuracy. The TM was $150 more and brand new to the market. Then I added a G series 5 wood to my arsenal a year or more ago. Wanting to replace my aging three wood this year I went to Dick's and golf galaxy to compare $$. Found a matching G series three wood at Dick's $100 off at $169 on sale. Got three matching woods in my bag now and finding the older G model 3 wood was a bit lucky. None of the clubs have to match each other as long as you have the zen connection with the club face square to the back of the ball when you swing! lol

I'd say since you are getting serious go for a new set of game improvement irons from a reputable manufacture rather than knock off's or bargain hunting. Build from there into the hybrids, wedges. throw in a lesson or two and most important. Just Have FUN!

[[Edited by Deepsea14 on Wednesday June 12, 2019 10:38 AM]]
 Message #91574 - This was a reply to message #91572
noeldaof
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday June 12, 2019 3:33 PM
jrspade

Fitting is a good way to start. But that in itself may or may not cost something depending on where you go.

There are two kinds of fitting- Static and Dynamic- some places just combines both in one, and some places are not too detailed either and more focused on a sale. Static is the one that deals with your height and built in order to find your club length and lie. Take it a step further, dynamic fitting, and it will zero in on your shaft strength and even more proper lie although it is more than just what I mentioned- there's a science to it.

In my experience, the better your swing is, the more advisable a fitting would be.

However, a standard set of clubs for now may work until you hone a proper grooved swing might fit the bill and your enjoyment. Unless you're ready for that fitting- hold off.

About the economical club/equipment, eBay, or just any ad could get you going... if you have a club manufacturer in mind, it'll take care of it as well.

Wishing all the luck and glad to hear you taking more time in for golf.
JVGA
 Message #91577 - This was a reply to message #91571
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Thursday June 13, 2019 9:53 AM
Based on your index and score, I would not advise you invest $$$ into fitting, or an expensive set of clubs? Especially @ Dicks. Check with your local Pro at the course play most of the time. I think you will be happier taking his/her advice, rather then advice from outside sources, that really do not know your game or golf interest. And I personally think that you can buy good equipment online from the many many golf websites, that will fit your needs.
 Message #91584 - This was a reply to message #91571
chevelle

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose Creek

Friday June 14, 2019 4:26 AM
I agree with 24hourgolf, based on your score and index, I fitting would be a waste of money and time. Do some research and look for the most forgiving clubs out there, driver, fairways hybrids ,irons and wedges. In my experience ping has some great stuff, IE the ping "G" line. These can be G20, G25, G30 for irons,and hybrid. All these are several years old and will not cost a fortune. Wedges I would look a Cleveland CBX, 52 or 54 degree, they are cavity back and forgiving. Go graphite shaft. DO NOT go with a mixed bag of irons, NO steel shafts, and DO NOT just buy clubs because they are cheap. The irons MUST be cavity back. Practice allot with the 7 8 and 9 iron, get good at those, then move to hybrids, 25 degree or so, you will probably not hit a 4 or 5 iron well and it will frustrate you so that is where the hybrids come into. Do not try hitting a 3 wood from the deck, learn to hit a 5 or 7 wood, they are easier. Allot of people have big egos and think they should do what others do. Learn what works best for you. I use driver or 3 wood off tee, fairways 5 wood max with many hybrids, my hybrids are 22 25 28 and 31, I hit the 31 so good and straight you would not believe it, and I don't care if people laugh at me, it works, my lowest iron is an 8 iron. People raise their eyebrows but i have gone from a 18.9 hdcp to lowest 12.9. Sorry I went on about me, but wanted to show you don't have to conform. I have these brands in my bag, cobra, callaway Cleveland taylormade and tour edge. Oh and BTW I have never had a lesson or been fit.

[[Edited by chevelle on Friday June 14, 2019 4:35 AM]]
 Message #91594 - This was a reply to message #91584
jrspade

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bobby Jones

Friday June 14, 2019 5:36 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By chevelle on 06.14.2019 4:26 AM]

NO steel shafts, and DO NOT just buy clubs because they are cheap.

Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate your help.

All of of my irons are steel shafts because I just bought an entry set at Dick's about 6 years ago. I have a graphite shaft driver that someone gave to me and a PW and putter that I bought used that are real good clubs. Other than that the rest of my clubs are the cheap set I bought just to get on the course. Apparently the steel shafts are hurting me?
 Message #91595 - This was a reply to message #91594
Deepsea14

Favorite Golfer:
    Dad and his Dad
Favorite Golf Course:
    The one I'm playing

Friday June 14, 2019 6:42 AM
That depends on a few factors. What is your swing speed? Shafts of steel or graphite come in various flex specs and other more technical stats like kickpoint for launch angle and so on. Basic theory is match the shafts club flex to your swing speed to optimize distance, height, and accuracy. Options for stiffness range from x-stiff, stiff, regular, senior, womens. Industry standard in drivers fairway metals and hybrids is graphite. Price range from high to low varies widely. A tour driver shaft may cost $200 or more for shaft only.

A quality fitting will dial in the shaft you need and then it's personal feel. you should be able to demo both types in various flexes' and get data on the differences in order to make an informed decision. Having the clubs you use now and hitting those vesus others at a driving range is a good way to feel differences.

Once I took a friend who inherited a full set (circa 1984) to the driving range. We hit his clubs, my clubs, and demo clubs from the supershop. After we finished he said throw away or goodwill his set they're obsolete. He could feel the difference the modern design gives the player and he had not swung a club in years.
 Message #91596 - This was a reply to message #91595
1PLUS1

Favorite Golfer:
    Seve; Nick Faldo
Favorite Golf Course:
    Belgrade Lakes (Maine)

Sunday June 16, 2019 12:31 AM
QUOTED  [Posted By jrspade on 06.14.2019 5:36 AM]

QUOTED  [Posted By chevelle on 06.14.2019 4:26 AM]

GO graphite shafts...NO steel shafts

Thanks everyone for the advice I appreciate your help.

All of of my irons are steel shafts because I just bought an entry set at Dick's about 6 years ago. Apparently the steel shafts are hurting me?

"GO GRAPHITE SHAFTS...NO STEEL SHAFTS"

Couldn't disagree more...

Personally, I would suggest looking at Nippon shafts; they are widely considered the industry leader in high-performance, lightweight, easy-to-swing steel shafts and available in a wide range of weights (70 to 130 grams). Depending on your swing characteristics and needs, you can select a particular model that will optimize your launch angle, spin, and distance requirements.

They've long been the choice of top players and enjoy quite a representation on the LPGA Tour. Their presence on the PGA and European Tours has also increased in recent years as players have switched to lighter-weight shafts.

Many top-line Japanese clubs feature Nippon shafts so looking for some Bridgestone or Srixon irons would be a good place to start. And if you're not ready to invest in a full-blown fitting session, picking up a couple of used 6-irons on E-Bay for testing is another option, as well as checking out some local 'Demo Day' events.

When it comes to irons, I believe steel shafts are much more predictable than graphite and they stand up better to wear and tear. Much like graphite, the Nippons exhibit excellent shock-absorbing properties but, it my view, provide a higher degree of feedback. They are truly sweet-feeling shafts that allow you release the club through the impact zone in an almost effortless fashion.

While your physical capabilities and talent level (I have no way of knowing if the index and average score listed in your profile is accurate or a self-deprecating attempt at humor)...along with your financial resources...may ultimately influence your decision, I think a look at Nippon's stable of shafts would be well worth your time. Do a little homework, spend some time testing different clubs, and don't succumb to that mantra that says you need today's 'latest and greatest'.

Good luck...

Sent from my iPad

[[Edited by 1PLUS1 on Sunday June 16, 2019 12:34 AM]]
 Message #91603 - This was a reply to message #91595
jrspade

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bobby Jones

Monday June 17, 2019 6:13 AM
QUOTED  I have no way of knowing if the index and average score listed in your profile is accurate or a self-deprecating attempt at humor

They are correct. I strictly adhere to the rules. I take all penalties and NO mulligans at any time. I wanted a true handicap and a way to see if I was getting better. I have gotten slightly better but beginning to think I do not play enough and that golf is one of those games you have to play 3-4 times a week to really get better. I usually can only play 1-2 times a week on the weekends. My biggest problem is hitting irons consistently. I can hit my 4 hybrid good but anything between the 4H and 9 iron, I cannot hit. I can drive, hit fairway woods, and putt but other than that it is a crap shoot. Sorry very frustrated after my performance on Saturday where I posted my second worst score ever after coming off great scores the prior two weekends.

[[Edited by jrspade on Monday June 17, 2019 6:14 AM]]

[[Edited by jrspade on Monday June 17, 2019 6:14 AM]]
 Message #91608 - This was a reply to message #91603

Listing 1 to 10 of 16 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]