ajoseph
Monterey and Central Coast advice, please

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 10, 2017 12:36 PM
I'm considering starting in the Monterey area and working my way down the coast to LA. I can't afford Pebble/Spanish Bay/Spyglass, so where to play?
My research leads me to Bayonet/Black Horse and Pacific Grove. Any thoughts (pro or con) on Quail Lodge, Crazy Horse Ranch, Carmel Valley Ranch or Eagle Ridge in Gilroy? Further down the coast ... Monarch Dunes and Cypress Ridge for $70 from Costco certainly seems like a good deal. Hunter Ranch? The River Course at Alisal? Finishing with LaPurisima and Rustic Canyon. Anything I am missing? Thanks. I'm staring at 18 inches of Massachusetts snow and a trapped, moping New Englander would like to plan.
 Message #82377
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Monterey and Central Coast advice, please
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 10, 2017 1:07 PM
Sounds great.

QUOTED  Anything I am missing?

I loved Rancho Maria in Santa Maria the one time I played it.
 Message #82378 - This was a reply to message #82377
mpisarski01

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Wolf Creek

Friday February 10, 2017 1:20 PM
Bayonet/ Black horse is the best bet for a tough course.

Pine grove is basically a value price pebble that has holes that go through the eucalyptus tress and a mix of ocean holes. (be careful of wind)

cant go wrong with La Purisma in the lompoc area plus you can normally find good deals for there.

I hated river course at alisal but that was in the summer and the course was very brown. Id check reviews before booking there.
 Message #82379 - This was a reply to message #82378
JonBlack

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Friday February 10, 2017 1:47 PM
I highly recommend Bayonet and/or Blackhorse. Both are challenging, but beautifully conditioned and a tremendous value. Make sure to book both through a tee time service and not through their club website. You'll save your self a fortune that way. I do a Monterrey trip once a year that includes Pebble and Spanish Bay- and I look forward to the rounds at Bay&Black nearly as much as I do their more famous neighbors. Monterey's Fish House- just a few minutes away- is also worth a visit if you're in to seafood.

I haven't played PG but I've been to it and it will definitely give you a nice ocean fix if you're looking for one. It's also highly recommended by everyone I've met that has been on it. Great value generally, miraculously so given its location

Hunter Ranch is also worth a visit and has good food at its clubhouse if you're looking to do a breakfast or lunch as part of a day.

Alisal Ranch- the private course- is highly regarded. Alisal River not nearly as much

South of La Purisima- which is a must visit- and just before Rustic is Olivas Links. Right next to Ventura Beach- which is a decent spot to post up for a night. I may be in the minority on this but I actually prefer Olivas to Rustic. Great course- reasonably priced. You can play there- spend the night in Ventura- then hit Rustic the following day.

EDIT- Feel free to PM me on any of this- or with more specific questions- if you like.

[[Edited by JonBlack on Friday February 10, 2017 1:49 PM]]
 Message #82380 - This was a reply to message #82377
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Friday February 10, 2017 2:06 PM
My 2 cents--

Stop at Monarch Dunes in Nipomo, from there head down the coast to La Purisma(a must), from there I would try a TW round(a little easier on the wallet than a rack rate round) at Sandpiper in Santa Barbara as the sun is going down---you can then hit up Olivas Links in Ventura and Riverridge Lakes course(maybe in one day)--Rustic Canyon in Moorpark is my home course--its a great course--currently as we speak its a little hardpan and rough in the fairways but you will find most everything else pleasant and its quite an experience for a 1st timer--you did not mention how far south you were headed--a lot of GKer's on here can lead you south of my area with great choices--I have played Oak Quarry, Goose Creek and Angeles National--all great courses and layouts---have fun.

G
 Message #82381 - This was a reply to message #82380
GDR23
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Woods Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rustic Purisma Sandpiper

Friday February 10, 2017 2:09 PM
Forgot to add Ojai Valley Inn as a course that is historic, beautiful and very fun to play.
 Message #82382 - This was a reply to message #82381
kevbig

Favorite Golfer:
    Tiger Woods
Favorite Golf Course:
    Palmer Course- Turtle Bay

Friday February 10, 2017 3:42 PM
QUOTED  Monarch Dunes and Cypress Ridge for $70 from Costco certainly seems like a good deal.

Bingo! GREAT deal!
 Message #82384 - This was a reply to message #82377
sngernz

Favorite Golfer:
    Bubba!
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Friday February 10, 2017 4:23 PM
You've come to the right place on advice for your trip, ajoseph. Some great suggestions are offered.

I've done this trip many times and you're spot on with Bayonet/Blackhorse. I've got some great discounts on GolfNow for both and their website has combo deals that pop up on occasion as well as email specials. Pacific Grove back nine will give you a good feel for the beauty of the Monterey Peninsula without the high green fee (unfortunately, the front is very boring). I highly recommend that you check green fees at Poppy Hills, one of my favorites on the Peninsula ... very affordable and still a quality Monterey track. [I cannot comment on the Carmel area courses you mentioned only because I've never played them.] Nice to walk around Cannery Row in the evenings ... somehow I always end up at Sly McFlys where there's always live music and dancing (but there are much better places to eat. My fav is the Fish Hopper but there are many great places to choose from).

Driving south, yes, both Monarch Dunes and Cypress will not disappoint. Close by, another nice place to hang overnight is Pismo Beach ... fantastic food at McLintocks. Or, overnight in Paso Robles and play Hunter Ranch ... the course can a bit rough around the edges (so is La Purisima) but what a great layout. And GDR23 mentioned a twi-light round at Sandpiper which is an outstanding suggestion. Ditto his other comments.

Sounds like a fun trip, one I think I might start planning myself real soon. Enjoy!
 Message #82386 - This was a reply to message #82384
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Friday February 10, 2017 4:31 PM
Sounds like a fun road trip!

Looks like you're all set with yours and the guy's suggestions.

Have fun!
Play from a position!
 Message #82387 - This was a reply to message #82377
sbarajasjr

Favorite Golfer:
    Lee Trevino
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bayonet-Black Horse

Friday February 10, 2017 7:37 PM
I've literally done this road trip from San Diego to Monterrey and played some of the courses you have mentioned various times:

Bayonet/Black Horse: THE course for those of us who can't pay Pebble prices. Both courses are excellent and usually in peak condition. I prefer Bayonet but you can't go wrong. There are usually great deals especially for 36 holes.

Poppy Hills: I haven't played here since the renovation but if you are an SCGA member, I believe they offer discounted rates (their new rack is a bit much). Believe it or not, the first time I played here I only paid $35! Great course and can play fairly difficult with the trees.

Cypress Ridge: I've played here a few times on the way back and I love the course! I really enjoy the layout and hole variation. A bit tucked away but worth it. Peter Jacobsen designed if I'm not mistaken.

La Purisima: Killer test of skill. I have always found it in great condition, extremely difficult (especially with the wind), and so isolated it really makes the round special. Lots of great deals.

Rustic Canyon: A true links course. The deals here are abundant. I loved the course layout and it was a real unique experience. Highly recommend if you are interested in links golf.
 Message #82388 - This was a reply to message #82377

Listing 1 to 10 of 25 Replies

PAGES: 3 1 2 3

[ Community Page ]