Kristof
Playing Some Golf in the Colorado Rockies

Favorite Golfer:
    Cameron Smith
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lost Farm

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday January 14, 2019 7:04 PM
After a few days in Denver later in the year, I am planning a 4/5 day trip up into the Rockies. The plan is to play some golf at the following courses but would appreciate any comments on possible better choices or places to stay:
Saturday - Ironbridge (stay at Glenwood Springs)
Sunday - Redlands Mesa (Grand Junction)
Monday - Vail Golf Club (Breckenridge)
Tuesday - Breckenridge (Breckenridge)
Wednesday - Keystone River Course
then drive back to Denver airport.
i have left out Red Sky Ranch which seems quite expensive relative to these others. the other one i left out is Lakota.
Also the Colorado Golf Pass gives good deals at these places.

[[Edited by Kristof on Tuesday January 15, 2019 12:44 AM]]
 Message #90298
mpisarski01
RE: Playing Some Golf in the Colorado Rockies
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    John Daly
Favorite Golf Course:
    Grizzly Ranch

Tuesday January 15, 2019 6:31 AM
Copper Creek is a fun course about 30 mins from Breckenridge.
 Message #90302 - This was a reply to message #90298
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Tuesday January 15, 2019 11:12 AM
See my reviews re Ironbridge; Lakota Cnyn and River Valley Ranch I recently did in June last year (and several times before). Great hotels in G S and Lakota Cnyn is minutes down the road from G S (don't miss it). Personally I am not a fan of the others you listed. Why? The are not really taken good care of IMO (Vail and Breckenridge, Keystone).

If you can make it to Redlands Mesa (see my recent review) by all means do it. It is only about 90 mins from G S and nice drive along CO river. If you go early in the AM and play R M, on the way back you can stop off and play Battlement Mesa (great course) right off the freeway on the way back to G S.

If you have any other questions let me know. I have played well over 50 courses in CO, both from visits and having lived in CO Springs.

Marriott in G S is great hotel. As well as Best Western in Carbondale.
 Message #90303 - This was a reply to message #90298
mdames

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Tuesday January 15, 2019 11:36 AM
I have played nearly all of the courses in the Colorado High country over the past 15 years. I don't know anything about Redlands Mesa in Grand Junction, however it is a very long drive from Denver (over 250 miles). Not sure why you eliminated Lakota Canyon. I highly recommend it. It's a very fun mountain layout with excellent conditions. The price is quite reasonable. I would play this course over Ironbridge. Vail Golf Club is in Vail, not Breckenridge. It is nothing special at all. Mostly flat, and it runs along the I70 corridor through the Vail valley. It's a muni type course, but in good condition. A friend I play with frequently played Breckenridge and did not care for it. But I have no first hand experience with it.

Depending on what type of golf you prefer (mountain or flat), the two courses at Keystone (River and Ranch) are very good. The River course is a beautiful mountain course. I definitely prefer that one over the Ranch Course. It is very fun to play. You will reach nearly 10,000 feet elevation at the top of the course. Some of the downhill tee shots are amazing! There is another course in the Dillon/Keystone area: The Raven at Three Peaks. Another wonderful mountain course. When I go there, I usually play the River at Keystone AND The Raven. If you're interested in a "links" style course, I recommend Eagle Ranch Golf club in Eagle. It's a muni in great shape, and thoroughly enjoyable. Also, the green fee is VERY reasonable. If there's any way you can play a course a little south of Denver off I25, you have to play THE GOLF CLUB AT BEAR DANCE in Larkspur. It's about 30 - 40 minutes south of DIA. This is my favorite course of all the ones I play in Colorado.

I hope this is helpful. If you have any questions feel free to message me on this site. Regards, Mike

[[Edited by mdames on Wednesday January 16, 2019 11:02 AM]]
 Message #90306 - This was a reply to message #90298
Kristof

Favorite Golfer:
    Cameron Smith
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lost Farm

Thursday January 17, 2019 12:08 AM
Lakota Canyon is my wild card but seems like we should definitely play it. We are playing Bear Dance, The Ridge at CP, Fossil Trace, maybe Arrowhead and Commonground while in Denver then moving out to the mountains. The plan was to drive day 1 to Glenwood and play Ironbridge that afternoon then go on to Grand Junction day 2 to play Redlands Mesa. Day 3 head back to Breckenridge and play Vail on the way but maybe now I will play Lakota instead. Once at Breckenridge the plan was to play Breck itself and KS River then head back to Denver airport. Now the question is whether Raven at 3 Peaks trumps either of those two, as I have heard that its conditioning is not always good. This will be in September so it should be quite dry I guess.
 Message #90333 - This was a reply to message #90306
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Thursday January 17, 2019 9:47 AM
You should not miss Lakota Canyon. One of Jim Engh's best designs (not to mention Redlands Mesa). Bear Dance, The Ridge, Fossil Trace (another Engh design) are terrific. Arrowhead (IMO) is over rated and over priced. Never played Commonground. If you are going to play Bear Dance, right across Interstate 25 is the great Plum Creek Course, built as a TPC course many years ago and a great value and great venue.

The Ridge @ CP, Bear Dance and Plum Creek are all within minutes of each other, using I 25.

If you are in Glenwood Springs, River Valley Ranch is a great spot for a late afternoon round of golf (see my pics). And a great restaurant/bar on the premises afterwards.

Personally, I am not a fan of golf courses that are for the most part, ski resorts and then golf in the summer? The best courses in the Rockies are the totally private ones, which of course are difficult to get on.

But Lakota Canyon, Ironbridge (especially the holes on top of the mountain) and Redlands Mesa are as good (IMO) as some of the private courses.

If going in Sept, you should be fine. Go the first 2 weeks of Sept though. The last 2 weeks in CO as it gets closer to Oct, can be very unpredictable.

In CO the saying is "if you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes and it will change"
 Message #90336 - This was a reply to message #90333
mdames

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Thursday January 17, 2019 11:16 AM
It sounds like you have a good plan. To me, there is no comparison between Breckenridge and Raven. I would go Raven without a doubt. Every time I've played the Raven at Three Peaks the course conditions were excellent. I've always played it at the time you will be there; early September. Since the Dillon area is higher in elevation than the Vail Valley area, the weather can be a bit cooler and wetter. I have played in that area when it has been in the high 70's and sunny, and when the temperatures dropped into the high 40's with rain and hail. But usually, the weather in early September is good to play. Enjoy.

[[Edited by mdames on Thursday January 17, 2019 11:20 AM]]
 Message #90337 - This was a reply to message #90333
Kristof

Favorite Golfer:
    Cameron Smith
Favorite Golf Course:
    Lost Farm

Thursday January 17, 2019 8:47 PM
We are going to be in the Rockies from Sept 14 to 18 so it looks as though the weather issue should not bother us.
From this discussion which has been very useful, thank you all, I would now put our rota as:
Ironbridge (stay at Glenwood)
Redlands Mesa (stay at Grand Junction)
Lakota Canyon (stay at Breckenridge
Raven at 3 Peaks (stay at Breckenridge) and
then either Breckenridge or Keystone River. Thoughts on that comparison?
 Message #90338 - This was a reply to message #90336
24hourgolf

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Friday January 18, 2019 11:34 AM
If you are up for 2 rounds in a day? Play Ironbridge and then Lakota Canyon same day. They are minutes apart from each other. And you can always go to the Glenwood Hot Springs and soak the aches away.

I always play both the same day, when I visit. Lakota Canyon in the AM, lunch at Ironbridge and another 18. Lakota Canyon is usually very quite early in the AM and playing while the sun comes up, is just great to watch.
 Message #90351 - This was a reply to message #90338
mdames

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach Golf Links

Monday January 21, 2019 3:58 PM
Lakota Canyon is quite far from Breckenridge. It would be better to stay at Glenwood while playing Lakota Canyon. In my opinion, The Keystone River course is far superior to Breckenridge. You will love the conditions and amazing views high atop the mountain when you play Keystone.
 Message #90386 - This was a reply to message #90338

Listing 1 to 10 of 12 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]