Discussions in Travel & Golf Destinations Discussions
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
Golfing
Travel & Golf Destinations Discussions
Whistling Straits Kohler and The Bull @ Pinehur...
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: Whistling Straits Kohler and The Bull @ Pinehurst Farms Sheboygan

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1
24hourgolf
Whistling Straits Kohler and The Bull @ Pinehurst Farms Sheboygan

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

RPGC MAIL USER ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 15, 2019 5:49 PM
Just returned from a bucket list trip. A top notch resort, with terrific courses (well 3 out of 4 anyways).

The Straits is everything and more and lives up to its billing. Dynamic service the minute you drive onto the property. Fantastic course to play, with very skilled caddies. Wish my weather day had been better, but low cloud cover and light showers, were better than hard rain, wind or cold. After all, you are on Lake Michigan. But I felt I was on the Atlantic Ocean and it even reminded me of my trips to Ireland. The visual setting of this course is magnificent. And the holes along the Lake are spectacular. Great clubhouse and great food after the round. Walking only. Terrific Caddies. One of the greatest 18 finishing holes I have had the pleasure of seeing/playing. Especially from the tips and named Dyeabolical.

The Irish, the Straits little brother is a beast. The elevation changes, terrain, routing, water holes (only a few holes on back 9 can you see the ocean, no holes on the ocean) and wind (and we had 20 to 35 MPH blowing) will test your will and desire, should you encounter such conditions (I hope you don't). Outstanding layout. This was maybe the first time and I have played many rounds of golf all over the world, that I was glad when I hit 18. Walking only (though you can take a cart, but CPO and you most likely would keel over after climbing up and down into the fairways, from the cart paths - brutal if you ask me?). The par 3's are beautiful and named Sleeper, Mulligans Watch, Lamb Chop and Deep Dye.

The River Course is a beautiful course at Blackwolf Run. Truly a beautiful 18 holes. Elevation changes (with holes like Made In Heaven and Hells Gate), water holes (Long Lagoon, Unter Der Linden - along the river?, Snapping Turtle) and 18 called Dyehard, should give you an idea of this course. Hosted the 98 and 04 LPGA PGA tournaments. Carts allowed and with a fore caddie. And the Sheboygan River runs through the course and comes into play. We even saw a few schools of salmon, returning from Lake Michigan while playing.

Meadow Valley, IMO is the weak link in the chain. While the back 9 is excellent, with # 18 finishing over the Sheboygan River, the front 9 is not much, hence the name Meadow Valley? Carts and no caddie necessary. + if you are on a package, they will give you a complimentary round w cart, on the same day of play when you play one of the other 3, provided space is available. It was for us. So while I did not enjoy this course as much, after being spoiled by the other courses, I at least had it comped?

The courses are all spotlessly maintained. They will not let anyone play before maintenance is completed. The fairways on every course were like carpet. Rough was insane on each course, not to mention the bunkers (over 2K on the Straits), water holes, rivers etc on all courses. And the greens were all and I mean all, running 12 each day on each course (and on both the Straits and Irish, we had wind, enough said).

Prior to playing at Whistling Straits, we played The Bull @ Pinehurst Farms (Bordens for those who know the name). The only Jack Nicklaus course in WI. And a fantastic course w/o fail. It only enhanced our trip to the area. Fantastic service from Phil in the clubhouse. It poured rain and I mean poured, just prior to our arrival. I did not think we would even be allowed to play. He let us right out and even said we could drive on the fairways (say what I said) he said the course will drain like you have never seen before? He was right. Beautiful layout in and around the Onion River, with spectacular par 3's, par 5's all over 550 yards and some even with elevated greens (and they say Dye is diabolical). Water holes + the river + woods + rough you would not dare go into + undulating greens (and yes folks they were fast even after the rain) + huge bunkers + elevation changes, made this a memorable round of golf. This course reminded me so much of The Idaho Club in Sandpoint ID, which I said at the time, was one of the toughest courses I ever played. Going to Whistling Straits? Leave time to play here PLEASE. Right Mr Weber.

I hope I have been able to adequately describe what one will find, should you have the opportunity to go? We flew into Chicago as it was a direct flight and it took 2:30 to drive, as we left Chicago at 1:30 PM. You can also fly into Milwaukee coming out of L A, but we found only layover flights. But the drive from Milwaukee is about 1 hour.

Below are pics of Whistiling Straits, The Bull, The Irish and The River @ Blackwolf Run

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 2:17 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 2:18 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 2:19 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 2:20 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 2:21 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 2:22 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 3:44 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 3:45 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 3:46 PM]]

[[Edited by 24hourgolf on Tuesday September 17, 2019 3:46 PM]]
 Message #92397
Nickesquire
RE: Whistling Straits Kohler and The Bull @ Pinehurst Farms Sheboygan
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 15, 2019 8:11 PM
Thanks for the well written report, sounds like a great trip!
The goal is long and straight! But since I can no longer hit them long, could I at least hit them straighter?
 Message #92398 - This was a reply to message #92397
UNCLEDDBOY23
RE: Whistling Straits Kohler and The Bull @ Pinehurst Farms Sheboygan
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Whistling Straits

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Sunday September 15, 2019 9:50 PM
We played all 4 courses back in 2005 ... beautiful resort and golf. We had lunch next to Herb Kohler and Jim Flick at the Whistling Straits Clubhouse. Glad you enjoyed the courses ... we flew into Milwaukee because we had a non stop flight from Phoenix.
 Message #92401 - This was a reply to message #92397

Listing 1 to 3 of 3 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]