divotnjay
Tijuana Country Club

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Nicklaus
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines South

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Monday May 8, 2017 12:27 PM
FYI, just went down to play Tijuana Country Club this past weekend and had a blast!!! It's arguably one of the best layouts around, Alister MacKenzie designed, tons of elevation changes and it's usually in pretty good shape. I go down there at least once a year to play and it's difficult to find much information about the course online. It is a private country club, so there are some restrictions for the general public, but overall, they are very welcoming to Americans coming down and playing. The public needs to wait until after noon to play on the weekends, and I think Monday they might be closed. I got in touch via email with one of the club pros: progolf@campestretijuana.com. He arranged via email to set us up with tee times for 12:15 both Saturday and Sunday. Greenfees were $85 with a cart. A little steep, but in my opinion, very well worth it. There is hardly anyone out there and the course is very enjoyable to play. Great food upstairs at the "snack bar" overlooking the first tee and 18th green, and the food and drinks are cheap. The food is absolutely delicious!!!

Anyway, overall rating for the course would be about 6.5 right now. Teeboxes were in pretty good shape, fairways were darn near perfect, greens were just fine, a couple of them had some aerification, but didn't affect the roll or speed too much, they were smooth and held shots well. Found one bunker and it was great, nice soft new sand. They really do a great job keeping this course in good shape.

We stayed the night at Grand Hotel Tijuana, which is great, it overlooks the golf course along the 1st fairway. The room was $150/night, but included a continental breakfast in the morning and a great happy hour in the evening, free wine/beer and appetizers for the happy hour, yes free wine and beer! Tons of great restaurants in the area for dinner, we went to El Campero and it was amazing!!! Best steaks and excellent wine list.

We walked across and took a $12 taxi to and from the hotel to the border. My wife dropped us off by the trolley station and you walk in just past that on the East side of the freeway, now. Waited in line to cross both ways about 30mins, smooth as silk. Do yourself a favor and plan a trip, the Caliente dog track is around the corner from the golf course, they run at 7pm every night with matinee races on the weekends at 2pm, it's a good time.

Hope this information is helpful, can't wait to go back.
 Message #83628
Itslikeimsayin
RE: Tijuana Country Club
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    DragonRidge CC

Monday May 8, 2017 1:10 PM
Awesome Jay! Sounds like a blast. I've always wanted to play there. Great info!
 Message #83630 - This was a reply to message #83628
noeldaof

Favorite Golfer:
    Anyone who sets up left
Favorite Golf Course:
    CRYSTALAIRE

Monday May 8, 2017 4:26 PM
Sounds like a good time was had. Thanks for the info.
Play from a position!
 Message #83633 - This was a reply to message #83628
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Monday May 8, 2017 6:19 PM
So, you might have at least four stories about Tijuana that can be shared in polite company.
 Message #83635 - This was a reply to message #83628
SBogey

SoCal Community Staff

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Day/
Favorite Golf Course:
    Eagle Falls

Monday May 8, 2017 6:26 PM
Not sure about anyone else but I get it Kevin! Maybe instead of Vegas we should plan a Mexico trip!
 Message #83636 - This was a reply to message #83635
roarksown1

Favorite Golfer:
    Whoever's with me playing
Favorite Golf Course:
    Bighorn

Monday May 8, 2017 11:35 PM
Sounds like a great trip! May have to plan it!
 Message #83641 - This was a reply to message #83636
divotnjay

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack Nicklaus
Favorite Golf Course:
    Torrey Pines South

Wednesday May 10, 2017 10:03 AM
Totally a blast, y'all!

Get on down there and enjoy. I've heard Real Del Mar is trying to make a comeback? If so, that would be a great trifecta: Tijuana CC, Real Del Mar, Bajamar. Driving down there is pretty easy, as well. Grand Hotel has very secure parking structure. If you drive back into San Diego any day but Sunday, it's pretty quick, especially after 8pm. You can get "medical pass" if you stay at Bajamar, as well, for quick lane, I've pulled right up to the entrance before, with only 2 cars in front of me.
 Message #83654 - This was a reply to message #83641

Listing 1 to 7 of 7 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]