rudyclub
RE: Rule Rage

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil, Ricky, Kucher
Favorite Golf Course:
    Desert willow, Journey

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Saturday April 27, 2019 8:13 AM
I've had the misfortune of playing golf with people that get overly angry at the slightest thing. I try to get along with people, but sometimes you have to do what you guys did to save your own enjoyment of the game. In my opinion. Since I'm paying to play a game for my enjoyment, I'll play it any way that I feel. I would have done the same thing that the guy had done, unless we were playing in a competition, then I play by the rules to the best of our understanding. Otherwise, I don't care in the slightest how someone else plays the game they are trying to enjoy, nor would I ever even think about telling someone else how I think they should play their game. His friend was dick, but getting overly angry about it speaks to other issues. Either way, not a good playing partner.
 Message #91197 - This was a reply to message #91195
Nickesquire
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Saturday April 27, 2019 10:04 AM
The key is did he retee hitting 3 or hit a provisional? The outcome is 100% different depending on how the player proceeded on the tee after the first tee shot. Also why the player in competition is supposed to inform his playing partners of what his intentions are before rehitting and not have things hanging in the balance
with 20/20 hindsight available on the later results.

If he announced a provisional and the first ball was NOT out of play, he HAS to play the first ball. The provisional becomes the official ball if the first ball is actually out of play.

If he announced that he was reteeing and hitting 3, then first ball is no longer in player at that point regardless of where it lies and he has to proceed on his 2nd tee shot.

I am going to go out on a limb and venture a guess that these 2 guys had a wager on the outcome?

And yes, I have witnessed situtations where a player called a dubious penalty on another player in a competition more than once where there were at least heated words spoken.

I played in a city tournament years ago where the same guy twice tried to call penalties on different opponents in the same round.

First one involved me. My tee shot on #8 @ Olivas Links was pin high on the grass above the left sand trap. When I got there, it was obvious that I needed a more lofted club, because there was more grass between me and the green than it initially appeared. I walked back and changed clubs to chip with. By the time I returned, the ball had rolled into the sand trap. I knew I had to play it from the trap and was about to proceed, when a competitor tried to call a penalty on me. He said I addressed the ball, and that it was immaterial that it later moved when I was 25' away, that I had to move it back to the previous spot and take a penalty. Everyone else in the group disagreed, and luckily one of my playing competitors spoke up loudly in my defense that he watched me just walk up and looked at the lie, never got within 3' of the ball and never formally addressed it, so there was no penalty. My "penalty" in this case was that I now had a much tougher bunker shot that the relatively straight forward chip from mowed down grass would have been.

The person trying to call the penalty was evidently well know to go out of his way to be a jerk and call obscure penalties among the other people in my 4some who regularly played in tournaments with him.

The second attempted penalty call was even more ridiculous. One of my playing competitors drive on #14 @ Olivas was obviously in a burrowing animal hole. He asked for and I agreed that he was entitled to relief. He was in the process of dropping when "the jerk" came literally running from the other side of the fairway wanting to know if he was getting a penalty for an unplayable lie. He would not accept the two of our words that the ball was definitely partially in a hole. He called the pro shop and requested that the head pro ride out and render a ruling. In the meantime, made a complete ass out of himself by basically throwing a temper tantrum on the course. Many of you know Carl from Olivas, he rode out and in about 20 seconds ruled that the free drop was the proper call.
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #91198 - This was a reply to message #91195
dethman

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Saturday April 27, 2019 7:13 PM
Some people are just dicks. Whether while playing golf or in everyday life. Best just to dissociate yourself from them and move on. Why try to analyze irrational behavior.
 Message #91199 - This was a reply to message #91198
Nickesquire

Favorite Golfer:
    Jack, Freddie, Tiger
Favorite Golf Course:
    Maderas Olivas Sherwood

Sunday April 28, 2019 12:49 PM
QUOTED  shot left that seemed to enter the Hazard area.

That is the info you provided. What kind of hazard area was not specified.

Then you changed it in a later post to:

QUOTED  "Virtually Certain" his ball has gone into a Hazard (penalty area).

You do realize that that not all hazards are automatic penalty areas? From the USGA... A hazard is an area of a golf course which provides a difficult obstacle, which may be of two types: (1) water hazards such as lakes and rivers; and (2) man-made hazards such as bunkers. ... The Rules of Golf govern exactly from where the ball may be played outside a hazard.

You also realize that it is possible to lose or potentially lose a ball in the non water types of hazards, which could result in the need for provisional balls? At least get your information straight, the players options appear to be accurate as presented based on the original, limited info you provided.

Also, a player who tries to call a penalty on another player without a good faith belief that a penalty actually occurred is in my opinion in breach of USGA Rule 1.2, Standards of Player Conduct for "purposely distracting the play of another player." That player himself could then be subject to a penalty assessment.

The guy I mentioned was a jerk based on his attitude and actions from #1 tee to #18 green. He had no intention of "protecting the field", he acted like an ass toward all his fellow competitors. Which I was clued in was his "M.O." by the others in the 4some I was matched up with who had played with him before in competitions even before his first attempted penalty call. He evidently had a well known reputation for trying to gain an unfair advantage by calling "phantom" penalties. That's not "enforcing the rules", it's bullshit.

Amazing to me that someone as opinioned as yourself would make all these comments w/o knowing what the rules were when the event took place. All I said was that this transpired "years ago". Was that 2016? 2000? 1979? The rules constantly change and your commentary may or may not be accurate when the event occurred.

[[Edited by Nickesquire on Tuesday April 30, 2019 9:54 PM]]
The goal is long and straight! But on the many times I cannot seem to hit them straight, I at least want to hit them long!
 Message #91206 - This was a reply to message #91205
HmtGolfGuy
GK Event: Played in a GK Event GK Cup: Past & Current Champions of The GK Cup

Favorite Golfer:
    Brendan Steele
Favorite Golf Course:
    Rams Hill, Oak Valley

Sunday April 28, 2019 1:36 PM
Wow - MariaproV1 I recommend you go back and reread Nicksquire’s original response.

It wasn’t about a “different perspective” of the rules or “protecting the field”. Nicksquire referred to him as acting like a jerk - in my “perspective” I’d call him a Cheater. Regularly trying to call non-existent penalties is the same as regularly calling shots “out” in Tennis when they are in. Were someone to do so, he or she would accurately and appropriately be labeled BOTH a jerk AND a cheater.

You may have been offended by the “Rule Rage” exhibited by the other player - I am offended by the “holier than thou” attitude displayed in some of your remarks. I’ve played for five decades, sometimes in competitions, sometimes just to get outside in an enjoyable setting to have fun. However, you basically condemn anyone who wants to play just for fun as unworthy - how very elitist of you.

You state you couldn’t possibly play with someone like nicksquire - I couldn’t imagine playing with someone as judgmental as you seem to be.

And to be quite clear - this has nothing to do with you being a woman - but it has everything to do with attitude.
 Message #91208 - This was a reply to message #91205
CPennbo

Community Director/Women

Favorite Golfer:
    Annika/Mickelson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa

Sunday April 28, 2019 9:13 PM
QUOTED  I know very little about the Rules

QUOTED  Being a Women I like to think I know the Rules enough to play this game the way it "Should" be played.

I'm confused- which is it?
New Year's Resolution- HAVE MORE FUN, DO MORE, SEE MORE, LAUGH MORE!
 Message #91209 - This was a reply to message #91195
Alex326

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    Pebble Beach

Monday April 29, 2019 2:54 AM
I'm with Rudy club. Play your game and let me play mine. Unless you are playing in a competition at an elite level it doesn't really matter. I'm more concerned about a persons pace of play than I am about his/her score. If I offer a "rules advice/suggestion" it's simply to keep things moving forward.
 Message #91211 - This was a reply to message #91209
zachary

Favorite Golfer:
    Paul Goydos
Favorite Golf Course:
    Industry Hills

Monday April 29, 2019 7:35 AM
I better turn my music off.....Not allowed in the rules of golf. Probably should put my beer away as well.....I don't think I would enjoy playing a round of golf with people I have never met, calling or expecting me to call, rules infractions when I don't care. Tell me I dropped in the wrong place or from my shoulder instead of my knee and we will have some words.

I am not turning my music off or even down and now you get to listen to Metallica the rest of the round.
 Message #91213 - This was a reply to message #91211

Listing 1 to 9 of 9 Replies

PAGES: 1

[ Community Page ]