Click To View Golf Course Page

Discussions in Rant & Raves
Moderated By CPennbo, JohnnyGK, kviser, Paisano, thingstodo

Forums
General Forums
Rant & Raves
I have a Rant and Rave about Greed.
YOUR SETTINGSLIST FORUMSLIST TOPICSSEARCH

TOPIC: I have a Rant and Rave about Greed.

PRINT TOPICSEND THIS TO A FRIEND

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2
Andrew1
I have a Rant and Rave about Greed.
GK Event: Played in a GK Event

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    PGA West, Nicklaus Tourna

RPGC MAIL USER VIEW USER REGISTRY ADD USER TO BUDDY LIST
Wednesday November 22, 2017 2:00 PM
Its Monday Morning 4 days before Thanksgiving. I call Sierra Lakes and ask for a Wednesday Morning Tee time (day before Thanksgiving) . I'm given a 8:28am (perfect) make it for a foursome because I have 2 players coming in from North San Diego that have never played this course. I inform my players that Sierra lakes is NOT charging Holiday Rates and we are all set to go. Come Wednesday Morning (the day of our round) I call the S.Lks. pro shop at 6:10am just to confirm my 4 player tee time at 8:28am....OH NO !! the girl tells me they are charging Holiday rates, $85 bucks in stead of the $42 bucks we expected each to pay. Being low keyed and keeping the tone of my voice calm over the phone and not using any foul language I inform the girl (which I know it isn't her fault) that why on Gods earth is S. Lakes charging "Holiday Rates when its not a holiday and being told this past Monday NO Holiday rates would be charged? She didn't have answer. So Gkers. What's up with this? Are golf courses becoming to Greedy. Do they realize that they are pricing a lot of players out of playing because its getting to expensive. A lot of us just can't afford to pay these high green fees when its NOT a holiday. This isn't right. So if your a new comer coming into this game, beware. There are selfish and greedy managements that just want to suck the blood out of your wallet. This game is expensive already and Golf Courses today are not helping. So anyway we ended up playing El Prado "Butterfield" $16 bucks to walk 32 bucks to ride, course was empty and in good shape.

[[Edited by Andrew1 on Wednesday November 22, 2017 5:34 PM]]
 Message #86291
sr129
RE: I have a Rant and Rave about Greed.

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    goose creek

Wednesday November 22, 2017 2:40 PM
Sierra lakes is a course that I have mixed feelings about. I like the layout its not tricked out and for the most part fair. They have in the past not been open about when the punch greens. The pace of play can be slow sometimes. They do book a lot of tournaments on weekends.
In my opinion its a $60 course at best and I get emails with discounts that you can use to get the cost down in that range. For $85 you can go play Goose Creek which is a far better course and the staff there is exceptional.
 Message #86292 - This was a reply to message #86291
abbacat

Favorite Golfer:
    N/A
Favorite Golf Course:
    N/A

Wednesday November 22, 2017 4:13 PM
Too bad they didn't send you an email confirmation stating the quoted price.
 Message #86293 - This was a reply to message #86292
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday November 22, 2017 5:54 PM
Oh, I thought this might be a discussion on the "Emoluments Clause" . . . never mind.
 Message #86295 - This was a reply to message #86293
Andrew1

Favorite Golfer:
    Ben Hogan
Favorite Golf Course:
    PGA West, Nicklaus Tourna

Wednesday November 22, 2017 6:42 PM
ok "Rat patrol" so lest be serious. Your telling all of us that the high cost of green fees doesn't effect you or your playing partners in anyway? Because this "Emoluments Clause" doesn't pertain to this subject. The high cost of golf is effecting us all and I know there is "Absolutely" nothing anyone can do about it, oh yes there is we can give up the game. The high "holiday rate" cost is a Run away train and with more and more Courses closing this in effect enables current running courses to raise rates at anytime because where else are you going to go? They (golf courses ) know they have you. Hey guys so after todays bad experience with Sierra Lakes. I'm just venting. I will cool off soon before my next round.
 Message #86296 - This was a reply to message #86295
caligolfer1031

Favorite Golfer:
    Adam Scott, Bubba Watson
Favorite Golf Course:
    Spyglass Hill

Wednesday November 22, 2017 7:25 PM
Years ago I made a reservation through GolfNow for Sierra Lakes at a great price and they would not accept my tee time at the price I got and made me pay extra. I complained to the management at SL and GN and that is as far as it got. Something is very fishy with SL
 Message #86297 - This was a reply to message #86296
Rat-Patrol

Favorite Golfer:
    My Grandpa was
Favorite Golf Course:
    Balboa Park GC

Wednesday November 22, 2017 7:39 PM
Dear Andrew1,
What happened to you at Sierra Lakes (a place I have never played, and don't even know where it is located) was "Absolutely" a travesty and a horrible customer relations snafu. As I have done before when I read one of the frequent GKers such as yourself tell such a tale I basically take the offending course, and any associated courses, of my list of possible future plays. I guess I may never find out where that course is. I wish you the best and wish you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Sincerely, Jim
 Message #86298 - This was a reply to message #86296
weber

Favorite Golfer:
    Phil/Jordan
Favorite Golf Course:
    George Dunne (ILL)

Thursday November 23, 2017 5:20 AM
Many years ago, (Over 20 ) I had the first time at El Rancho Verde. (Which no longer exists) We had the first time off, but when we arrived they told us they did not have any time listed for us and showed me the tee sheet. They had a tournament that morning. When I looked at the time sheet I could still see my name where it had been erased. I pointed this out to the starter, but he just said that there was nothing he could do.

We drove over to Shandin Hills and got right out
 Message #86299 - This was a reply to message #86298
kviser

SoCal Community Staff

GK Event: Played in a GK Event LA-GK-Meetup-Winner: LA GK Meetup Winner

Favorite Golfer:
    Fred Couples
Favorite Golf Course:
    River Ridge

Thursday November 23, 2017 3:34 PM
QUOTED  As I have done before when I read one of the frequent GKers such as yourself tell such a tale I basically take the offending course, and any associated courses, of my list of possible future plays. I guess I may never find out where that course is.

I have to agree with that. That is a great policy, because there are other courses out there.

I think that course has lost my business and I have never played there.
 Message #86303 - This was a reply to message #86298
Mariaprov1

Favorite Golfer:
    Michelle McGann/lydia Ko
Favorite Golf Course:
    Goose creek/Oak Valley

Thursday November 23, 2017 7:46 PM
Its been awhile since I've posted anything but this "Rant and Rave" has gotten my attention. I to have had a bad experience at Sierra lakes. It was back in February. I had made a tee time for my 2 girlfriends and myself (3some). When we arrived at the Course (the day of our tee time) we were told that I never made a tee time. I even informed the starter in the pro shop the name of the person I spoke to days ago and the time I had spoken to him and all they said to me was "oh well sorry but he never log it in". I was furious and ask to speak to the person in charge but I was told that they were in a meeting and there were no tee times available and that they were booked solid all day. I (we) haven't been back since. But that goes to prove one thing and that is that I'm starting to believe that there are Courses that don't really care if you have a bad experience or not. With many Courses closing, where are you going to go? We use to go to Empire lakes, well you know what happened there and now were hearing that "El Prado" will not be renewing there lease when it expires. That only means one thing. They will be closing as well.

[[Edited by Mariaprov1 on Thursday November 23, 2017 8:06 PM]]
 Message #86304 - This was a reply to message #86291

Listing 1 to 10 of 18 Replies

PAGES: 2 1 2

[ Community Page ]